Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 GL 1800
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '88 new and it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'm not much of an enthusiast by Goldwing standards. I've kept it practically stock and just enjoyed riding it. I'm finally feeling more motivated for a new bike, I got a quote that I think is fair, but they didn't have what I wanted in stock (red ABS model). So I'm currently just waiting for something to come in.

Is there anything I'm missing that will make me kick myself, if I don't hold off for a year or two? Any super cool new feature on the horizon? Any issues with the 2013 models? I perused through this forum and nothing's jumping out at me.

Is this a low supply period? I'm not seeing much inventory at the dealers. The guy I spoke with didn't even sound confident that he could get what I wanted in his next order.

Sorry for the assortment of questions - I haven't been keeping up with the Goldwing world. I joined this forum ages ago, but I'm not sure if I ever posted. I have lurked occasionally and got some great information on changing my brake pads a while back. This seems like a good group of people!

·
Premium Member
20,620 Posts
All I can say is if you have the money, ride a new one, and want all the new bells, whistles, and features not on your 88, I say go for it! If you ride it and don't like the 1800, stay with what you have. We all have an opinion, but in the end.......it you and only you that needs to be happy with your decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Go for it. You won't regret it. Get the best of both operions, find a good used red one, that way if something better comes out in a couple of years you can sell it and buy the newer design while not losing a big chunk of money. I never buy new because I can save a LOT of dollars avoiding the steep depreciation experienced when buying new.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Hi their,

From your post I ascertain you haven't ridden much lately or done a lot of mechanics on your current bike. Seeing as their have been no major improvements lately that I am aware of IMO you should find a used one + hitch and trailer and see the entire USA with the extra moneys.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
If you can afford a new one, and want one, get it. They are totally out of my price range. I owe less on my house than what a new Goldwing costs. I plan to get a new CAR soon that costs way less than a new Goldwing. But someone in my income bracket is not in the target market for new Goldwings.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
You would have to ride one, or some newer model to decide this. We can not do it for you. As far as being an enthusiast (or not, because it is mostly stock) if you like to ride you are one. Accessories do not make a rider- riding does. Who cares whether stock or show modified? As long as you ride it.
Assuming you are in a position to afford one if you want to, what a blessing of a problem to have!

·
Premium Member
2012 GL 1800
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not hearing anything discouraging, so hopefully the dealer will be able to get one in.

I rode a friend's 1800 a few years ago - it might have been a 2006. There was nothing that made me think, "OMG I need this!" I might appreciate the handling improvements over time, but I had the wife on the back and was riding very conservatively, which is typical for me. After 25 years, I'm just ready for a new bike.

I agree that it makes more financial sense to buy used - I just hate buying and selling vehicles. I've always bought new and kept them for a long time.

rpeters549, my current setup looks very similar to yours, including the cargo trailer. I agree with everything you said, and I feel blessed. I received some unexpected money this year and had a brief "high-class problem" in deciding whether I should invest it or squander it. You only live once! ;-)

JeffMayfield, I never stopped riding, but I currently only put 3-4k/year on the bike. I did a few vacations out west when I was young, single, and had fewer responsibilities. I don't currently see that in my future, and my body doesn't hold up to a full day riding, like it used to.

Thanks again for all your replies.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Hi their,

From your post I ascertain you haven't ridden much lately or done a lot of mechanics on your current bike. Seeing as their have been no major improvements lately that I am aware of IMO you should find a used one + hitch and trailer and see the entire USA with the extra moneys.
I think there has been some major changes in the new 2012-2013 Goldwings or else Honda wouldn't have changed the model designator in the VIN number. The 2001 to 2010 GL1800's are SC47*, the 2012 and up are SC68*. Normally Honda only does this if there is a change in design.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
drssg good luck with your purchase of an excellent bike. I love the new F6B but you may require reverse and unfortunately that is not available on the F6B.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
If you have the money anyhow , i would go new. If you need as much cu, ft of luggage space as your 88 then you have to go 2012 or 2013. I am going to skip over the older 1800's if i can because of the smaller luggage and i don't want to haul a trailer around if i can limit the wife's luggage a little. lol
I test drove a 2006 and a 2012 and the 2012 was a better ride and less wind hitting my wife. Both windshields looked stock to me. The dealers that i checked out want about as much for a used 1800 as a new one.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Should you buy a new Goldwing??

YES!!!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Kar650
My wife says she will build a new garage first to put it in. Maybe the following year for a new Wing.:bow:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:drssg
If you test ride
a new 1800 it will
follow you home!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,336 Posts
You know, I read this whole thread, then closed it and thought about this for awhile, and I've come to a decision.
What you should do, Drssg, is buy ME a new 'Wing!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I bought a 2001 1800 ...great bike ..Love it..:action: paid $10.000... would like a 2013 just as much... but at $29,999 plus tax ..:shock: and that's without the airbag
oh yea ..no wobble on my 2001 ..it was traxxioned front and back by previous owner plus a bunch of other pricey bling blings

·
Premium Member
2012 GL 1800
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks SETHAN12, that's quite a Gregarious Greeting!

solaro55, I'm not seeing a Bob's Honda listed in Gallipolis. Would that be the same as River Front Honda? www.riverfronthonda.com I'm near Cincinnati, so Gallipolis is about 2.5 hours from me.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I had an 86 1200 aspencade a year ago and traded up to 2004 with about 20k miles on it. They are great bikes and handling is allot better. But that depends on your riding style too. Mine was blinged out already with heated grips and a 6 cd changer in the trunk. The sound is the regular one is not to bad. The new ones have more goodies on them than mine. The only thing I can tell you is get on one and ride it. Then ask allot of questions about the things that matter to you.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL 1800
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found one! I gave a down payment and it's supposed to be in early next week. I ended up going with a 2012 model that was $1000 cheaper. That year has the red and silver color, whereas the 2013 was a solid red. I actually like the 2012 coloring better.

I've been pondering and postponing a new bike purchase for a lot of years. It feels good to finally do it. WOOT! :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.