Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the whole touring thing so wanted to get some guidance
from the experts. The guy I bought my bike from is offering me a 93
Escapade trailer for $1000 and he'll throw in the hitch and wiring harness. What do you think ? Seems like a good deal and figured if I didn't like it I could re-sale it.
I attached some pics.
Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
You'll probably get several opinions on this but I am willing to bet that most of them will say....YES!!! If you don't like it I am sure you will sell it and won't take a loss....maybe even make a few bucks....shoot, if you don't buy it then let us know!!!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I always liked having a trailer when I went longer distance. The spousal unit and I rode to Yellowstone a number of years ago. It was nice to get there, unpack what needed unpacking, lock the trailer to a tree in the parking lot and go. The mileage drop is negligible for the gains received. She likes to pick up rocks along the way...

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
For long distance travel I recommend you buy it. Having that extra 15 or 20 Cu Ft makes a HUGE difference in the comforts you can enjoy along the way, particularly if you are camping.

It really comes down to personal preference, I know there are a lot of people who are perfectly happy with what they can fit on a bike, my wife and I are not among them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always liked having a trailer when I went longer distance. The spousal unit and I rode to Yellowstone a number of years ago. It was nice to get there, unpack what needed unpacking, lock the trailer to a tree in the parking lot and go. The mileage drop is negligible for the gains received. She likes to pick up rocks along the way...
Spousal unit( sorry , going to have to use that in future. LOL) just gave me
thumbs up for trailer purchase will let you know.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I agree with most, yes, buy the trailer. Had one about the same size,2-up wife and I covered 5300 miles on an '89 GW 1500. Trailer had camping gear, clothing, all we needed for the entire trip, no problem at all. You did not mention what cycle you were using but agee if you can't use the trailer, sell it.

Have a good trip.
Polkwing

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with most, yes, buy the trailer. Had one about the same size,2-up wife and I covered 5300 miles on an '89 GW 1500. Trailer had camping gear, clothing, all we needed for the entire trip, no problem at all. You did not mention what cycle you were using but agee if you can't use the trailer, sell it.

Have a good trip.
Polkwing
89 gw1500 just like you . :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
One man solo long distance touring. No need for a trailer. Significant other riding along for an afternoon outing, need trailer.:ROFL:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
One man solo long distance touring. No need for a trailer. Significant other riding along for an afternoon outing, need trailer.:ROFL:
Good price on that trailer. If you don't use it, someone will come by and give you your money back plus a few hundred for some different bling.

I agree with Paul on this. I know there are people who say that two up camping can be done without a trailer. A hitch rack and bag would help, but I feel the fun should begin after setting up camp and it is kinda nice to bring along a few creature comforts..... along with all of her "stuff."

Also, I went to Mission Texas with Wine_r last December and we camped most of the way. I did the stack and pack, no trailer method, and he used a trailer. His camp tear down and road prep was half the time. Also, when we did hit a motel, all of my stacked gear had to be unloaded and brought into the room.... Steve just locked his trailer up.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Some folks here would sell their first born for a nice Escapade like that at that price!!! ;)

Strapping 31 year old lad going cheap.... $1000.00 no returns. :ROFL:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Spousal unit( sorry , going to have to use that in future. LOL) just gave me
thumbs up for trailer purchase will let you know.
Thanks
The same friend I got that term from also uses 'livestock'. They get along great-he just has a twisted sense of humor. I like spousal unit, but can not go with the other.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The same friend I got that term from also uses 'livestock'. They get along great-he just has a twisted sense of humor. I like spousal unit, but can not go with the other.
Been using that saying a lot lately. Still cracks me up. Pulled the trigger
on the trailer tonight. The sellers Dad had a couple of strokes a week or
so back and didn't want to take away from his family. Will have many ?'s
I'm sure.
Thanks everyone,
Chris

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Spousal Unit, good one.
In a couples relationship it kinda sounds like Two of Two or a family of 4, Two of Four ;)

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Awesome!

Make sure to share pictures when you get it all hooked up! I'm pretty sure there's a lot of pps on here who can't read or write, lol (jk) but pix are great for everyone!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.