Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the answers will be yes.But I just bought this 92 Goldwing.same owner for 20 years.Immaculate.The seatcover has a few worn holes but otherwise its near perfect.163,000 miles.I have heard of guys changing their belts at 200,000 even 300000 and the belts looked like they did not need changing.

·
Magic Moderator
4,326 Posts
It's a peace of mind thing knowing they have been changed. The bike its a 1992 and its 27 years old and the belts might look good but can fail. Age and heat are the culprits for the belts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey..im only new to the forum..but ive had an old gl1000 many many moons ago....and here are my thoughts...if you have to ask the question...then yes..change the belts...if at all in doubt of wear or age..change the belts...Not a big job to do for peace of mind..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't going to replace the tensioners.I guess I will now.some questions- gates belts is a brand name correct.so oreillys or autozone should have them.napa belts would have to be at a napa store and goodyear at goodyear I suppose.I have found kits that include belts and tensioners for about $110 on ebay but I don't want Chinese junk.Any way to know if the ones offered are a good brand? The pictures in the link are great.Thanks everyone for all the help.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
I installed these on my GL1500..............

Apr 13, 2014 Timing Belts (Gates part # T275) (2) 16.48 each 32.96
(Made in the United Kingdom)

Amazon Fulfillment Services Ordered 04/13/14
1600 Worldwide Blvd. Received 04/16/14
Hebron, KY 41048-8639

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Gates-T275-Timing-Belt/dp/B000CRDMS8/ref=sr_1_2?hvadid=77996668200698&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=gl1500+timing+belts&qid=1569670527&s=gateway&sr=8-2[/ame]

At 200,000 miles the tensioners were in good condition.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Gates makes the OEM belts for Mother Honda (~$75 ea), you can get Gates belts at any of your local Auto Parts stores (The NAPA brand belts are made by Gates, too)(~$40 ea) or you can buy them on Amazon (~$16 ea). Gates part T275.

Personally I wouldn't bother replacing the tensioners unless there's something wrong with them, if they spin free and smooth they are OK and generally last a very long time. Just check them at each belt change. (10 yrs/50,000 miles to be safe)

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Many many years ago some folks started posting information such as "change the belts at 40 - 50k miles" (with no creditable source references) regarding the GL1000, GL1100 and GL1200 Gold Wing's.

That "old school" thought just got repeated over and over by folks on the message forum throughout the years (imagine that).

Mother Honda recommends check (replace if needed) the GL1500 belts at 100k miles (with no time limit specified).

I would trust the Honda engineers on this one.

But with about 350k miles on GL1500's, I might not know much about the subject....!

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Check this out

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/668537-5-year-old-new-timing-belts-gl1500-3.html#post5860155

The cost range for fixing bent valve damage is about $1,000 to $2,700. The cost of new belts installed at a Honda Dealer might be $400.00 - $600.00.

How many timing belts have you see (or known of) that broke on a GL1500.....?? How many thousands of GL1500's have been on the road.....?????

I have changed OEM belts on GL1500's (several) with anywhere between 100 - 2000k miles (you name the year).

Been riding and wrenching on GL1500's since 1993, haven't see one broken timing belt yet (that was a belt failure). Just my experience.....!!

Note: If not installed correctly or a tensioner or such fails, don't blame the belt if it breaks.....!!

I don't subscribe to "Scare Tactics"...!!

Just because you know of some broken timing belts on vehicles does not equate to broken timing belts on GL1500's......!!!!

But as they say, folks should do whatever allows them to sleep good at night......!:ROFL:

·
Nodnocdar
20 Posts
My Quick Reply included a reference to an earlier post. https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/668537-5-year-old-new-timing-belts-gl1500-3.html#post5860155. In that discussion I provided the following with hope to not scare but to give the folks a way to evaluate, conservatively, the choice to change a timing belt. This is a quote: "This issue flirts with being a myth. The fact that a broken belt will wreck a motor is true. However, I have been monitoring this issue for about 20 yrs and there is no credible evidence that a belt will break with reasonable care. Now I expect there will be several replies where someone knows someone who lost a belt...... I can accept that and still the maintenance frequency question persists. It is also true that organic materials will deteriorate with time and use under stress is another vector to break a belt. So In the past I came up with what I thought to be a reasonable and prudent way to judge the need for changing belts.
The formula for when to change a belt (is) = No of years old the belt is + Number of miles on belt/10,000. (XB = YR OLD + Miles/10k)
If the number for when to change a belt gets to 10 then you change the belt to provide reasonable care. Here is an example: I changed my belt in 2014, ie 5 years ago, and I have ridden 30,000 miles since the belt change. So; XB = 5 + 30,000/10,000, therefore XB = 8. Eight is less than 10 so the next belt change will be in 2 years if I do not ride the bike or sooner if I ride the bike many miles. Granted I still don't know the statistics for when a belt will break however I believe that using the formula will provide you with near 100% confidence that you are getting the value out of the belt without posing a threat to the engine." Of course I can find references to a broken belt however there is never an analysis to suggest the reason(s) for the belt failing. The storage of belts given by GATES is helpful and prudent. Except folks that buy belts from e bay, 2nd marketers etc do not have any reason to believe the belt was stored in a quality condition. Then there are belts in Wings that sit outside for many years and the engine has not been started in all that time. Such a belt parked in Arizona will no doubt be cracked at the pulley(s) bend and be a candidate for early failure. I road with a Gold Wing RR club for about 12 years and I've been working on Wings since 1989. All equipment, including belts, will eventually break, and that is also true for a GL1500. My comments are technical and intend to encourage maintenance to avoid the failure of equipment. Keep in mind, all Goldwings are created equal, no two Goldwings are treated exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
But wouldn't you want to also factor accumulated engine revolutions into you equation? A fellow riding curvy country roads using 3rd & 4th a lot will accumulate more revolutions per 10,000 miles than the guy who primarily rides a 4 lane highway at 65 mph in 5th to and from work.

In the real world, I'd change belts on a 26 year old Goldwing with 163,000 miles on it, and I'd be closely inspecting those idler - tensioners. But that's just me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts