Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys,As you can note from my nic I ride a Hayabusa, have done so almost 10 yrs with no intentions in giving it up.

However, I have always wanted a GL1500 SE White when I was riding ST1100's of which I had 3 and served me very well before the busa came in.

There is a GL1500 SE White available, no not in the USA. So pricing isnt a consideration for comparison or worth. This particular bike was bought in '97 and kept by a collector. Ermm believe it or not it has but 250 odd miles on it. Yup not even run in yet. The collector from what I understand didnt quite like riding it much so stood all those years it did. However I was told he consistently changed the oil based on time and not miles. This has yet to be verified.

So my question to you guys who know the goldwing alot better then I, should I be careful, should I beware? Is it asking for trouble buying a bike never worked but stood static most of its life. I was told the fuel tank under the seat was replaced for some little rust in the tank. I am told fork seals and all fluids were changed. I am told she rides "tight" like a new bike, which for all intents and purposes it sorta is.

So what do you reckon? Thanks in anticipation.

PS. Plz excuse the cross posting same on another site, Im new to Goldwing forums.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
imported post

If it's what the seller says it is then I would go for it providing the price was fair for the locale. I would change the timing belts and tires as they may be aged.

Re the price: I wouldn't pay a lot more for a zero timed bike if I was going to ride it because as soon as I put miles on it that value would disappear. A zero miles bike is only of value to a museum.

P.S. You might have to clean the fuel system if it sat with old gas.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Can't understand why he would keep changing the oil and other items if it wasn't being run.

That aside, if the price is right and you want it, I would go for it.

I would suggest you would need to change timing belts, tyres, fluids when you get it, but otherwise, sounds great.

You can take your pick of 15's in the UK starting at £5K, but people asking (not necaserily getting) as much as £8K. Obviously one in the suggested condition will be worth more than others, but as I say, if you think the price is right then you probably won't get a better one.

Nice find. :)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

My '96 SE cost me less than £4k 3 months ago and it's by no means a ratter or high mileage.

If you think the 250 miles are genuine and it's a price you're happy with, then go for it - just factor into the price the work that might need to be done on it.

Fuel lines gone brittle, sticking pads, corrosion in the wiring loom, the carbs will want to be off and cleaned, the brake hoses replaced (go braided while you're at it), I'd change the oil & filters + plugs for my own satisfaction, clutch plates might've stuck together, tyres might want replacing - certainly if you were going touring. Have a good look at the brake fluids. Check out the bearings as well, if it's been stood in one spot for a long time they might have "set" or notched - I've not seen such a thing personally but I've never left a bike for 11 years :D

Not trying to put you off in anyway, just putting ideas of things to look for in your head.

they are quite an interesting bike to ride, way different from the Busa. I've got an SV1000 as well - it's fun to have a choice and do different things.

Go for it if you can!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

go for it.. change tires, fluids, timing belts, and it may need some carb cleaning job, you will be ready to go! you will love it, it is huge... but easy to maneuver. you as a sport bike rider will love it.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

All I can add to the other postings is be prepared to replace all the valve stem seals. They can dry out seeing the bike has minimum mileage on it and assuming the engine hasn't been run either, and they can crack thereby allowing oil to pass them.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd change the tires, belts,fluidsand ride it! There may be some other issues that come up or there may not be. As for value it does have extra value because the condition of the plastic and exposed metal parts should be like new with no corrosion or road chips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.