Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone. Just wondering if it is a good idea to replace my oil and filter on my 961500 if the oil was new prior to storing the bike for four months? Does the quality of the oil diminish in any way from just sitting for four months?

Pete

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If it was new when you parked it you should have no problem leaving it.

I usually let the color and the shifter feel help me determine when I change the oil (always with the filter). Usually comes to right at 2500-3500 miles.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

I would think so as I have been told that oil will also break down over time, someone pls. correct me if I am wrong...

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

If you ran the engine for any length of time then I would change it. Once oil has circulated it begins to break down and develop acids that after a while could harm the engine.That is why recommendations are given to change the oil within so many miles or months. If you didn't start the engine, then the oil would be good.

But, I am no expert...just regurgitating stuff I've read and heard.

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I believe I ran it for a month and at most 500 miles before parking it for the winter. I will have to check my maintenance records for the exact milage and time. I'm leaning towards a dump and new filter just for the piece of mind.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

If you are using dino oil then changing it is a relatively inexpensive piece of mind. If you use full synthetic then it shouldn't build up acids like dino oil does and you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

If it were me, I run it for a while, like a few hundred miles and then dump it.
Get the engine up to temp and dry everything out that may have accumulated over the winter.

Bottom line it's your bike, do what makes you feel good.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

If you did not run the engine with the new oil, it will do fine. for what i have been told and read on winter storage tips. if you run the engine with new oil it gets contaminated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.