Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding motorcycles for over 30 years.

In a truck and/or car, I have pulled countless trailers from small (log-splitter) to a 75 ft travel trailer, bumper balls to fifth wheels..

OK with that all said, I may be crazy to even ask this, but here I go...

I live in Chicago south subs and am looking for a fellow chi town winger that has a trailer for his bike that would like to go for a ride with me and let me pull their trailer a few miles on and off highway so I can determine if I want to purchase one of my own.
:praying:

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
If you ever make it St. Paul MN I have two trailers, a camper and a cargo trailer. You're welcome to give them a try.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I have been riding motorcycles for over 30 years.

In a truck and/or car, I have pulled countless trailers from small (log-splitter) to a 75 ft travel trailer, bumper balls to fifth wheels..

OK with that all said, I may be crazy to even ask this, but here I go...

I live in Chicago south subs and am looking for a fellow chi town winger that has a trailer for his bike that would like to go for a ride with me and let me pull their trailer a few miles on and off highway so I can determine if I want to purchase one of my own.
:praying:
Buy used. Try it out. Sell it for the same price if you don't see the value in it. No harm, no foul.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
when I pulled mine behind the
I couldnt tell it was there. Unless I loaded it wrong.

The weight would show, but thats it. No sway if loaded properly, stopping was fine. Just be aware that the trailer is wider than the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
If you have to ask twice in two separate posts then maybe not LOL
Confidence is the key to most anything you do or try.

Joking about the posts but not the confidence.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
I have been pulling a Harbor Freight trailer with a car top carrier for a couple of summers now with my 1100 and even loaded around 300 lbs it pulled great. You'll have no problems with a 1200. Stopping is touchy but as long as you remember it's back there, you'll have no problems. I use it for grocery shopping instead of the cage and love it. Just remember not to cut corners tight with it, it could ruin your day. Don't ask how I know.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Contact your local GWRRA chapter and ask if they are holding a trailering seminar anytime soon. They will then teach you all you need to know about trailers behind a bike and you can try many different trailers types and weights around the courses.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Were you planning on buying a trailer already made or were you going to build one yourself?....I didn't do any testing myself, the word of other fellow riders was enough to make my mind up, and the desire to go camping and fishing to the coast was enough to make my mind up...

·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were you planning on buying a trailer already made or were you going to build one yourself?....I didn't do any testing myself, the word of other fellow riders was enough to make my mind up, and the desire to go camping and fishing to the coast was enough to make my mind up...
I have basically have already made up my mind and just, but build or buy is still not decided! watching forums, craigslist, and e-bay for a great price and considering harbor freight but ho knows.

·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, OK, between public post (in this thread) and all the private messages I will say I will be getting a trailer for my wing.

Harbor Freight has some good prices, craigslist and e-bay don't have much.

I am capable of rebuilding an old junker, and or making one from scratch.

Anyone within 200 miles of Cedar Lake, In. have an old junker they want to giveaway (or sell)?

Anyone have blue prints and / or approximation of cost to make one?

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
OK, OK, between public post (in this thread) and all the private messages I will say I will be getting a trailer for my wing.

Harbor Freight has some good prices, craigslist and e-bay don't have much.

I am capable of rebuilding an old junker, and or making one from scratch.

Anyone within 200 miles of Cedar Lake, In. have an old junker they want to giveaway (or sell)?

Anyone have blue prints and / or approximation of cost to make one?
Harbor Freight.... tag along. complete and ready to tow for $375 with a coupon. You only have to assemble it. DONE..... how much do you have to lose on that deal? The resale is pretty good on the tag along, considering some guys are trying to get $500 for a HF trailer with a cheap clam shell on it.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Here's a trailer that I built with a HF trailer, tongue was extended about 18 inches, width ot the bed was narrowed by 4 inches, including axle. It has 2 storage areas, the box on top and then the underside, which is accessible from the rear door. If you don't need or want the bottom storage, you can mount the box as normal, and still wrap it with the diamond plate which gives it a nice professional finished look, and aerodynamic.

·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Harbor Freight.... tag along. complete and ready to tow for $375 with a coupon. You only have to assemble it. DONE..... how much do you have to lose on that deal? The resale is pretty good on the tag along, considering some guys are trying to get $500 for a HF trailer with a cheap clam shell on it.
The more I thought about this message the more I realized how true it was!!

I had a sale add with a 20% off coupon and the trailer (in my new aviator) was on sale and they let me use the coupon so I picked it up.

So thanks for all the information. :bow:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Now all you "could use" is a few stickers on that box and it'll NOT look brand new (theftable).

Now add a KOOL'ah in front.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
The more I thought about this message the more I realized how true it was!!

I had a sale add with a 20% off coupon and the trailer (in my new aviator) was on sale and they let me use the coupon so I picked it up.

So thanks for all the information. :bow:
You are so welcome. Now, get out the paint code and match that thing!

Or, take it over to a sign / vinyl cutter and have them cut you some vinyl stuff the same color as your bike... and it becomes color matched. This guy painted his to match his 1800. Looks pretty good to me. That chrome thing on the side of the trailer can be bought at Walmart. I saw it with my own eyes!

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Now all you "could use" is a few stickers on that box and it'll NOT look brand new (theftable).

Now add a KOOL'ah in front.
A less expensive cooler rack can be had at Walmart! In the camping section they will have a camp fire grill. Take the legs off and mount that on your front of your bike. This one is from Amazon and is $25.00 freight included. This one is 24 inches by 16 inches.

Here is the link to that at Amazon.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9F092/sr=8-2/qid=1366008018/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1366008018&seller=&sr=8-2[/ame]

Also, from time to time, HF will put the rim and tire that fits your trailer on sale for $25.00, down from $45.00. Buy two and switch out those tires when you wear out the tread.... and keep one of the bald ones for your spare. I wore my tires out in 5,000 miles. I wasn't paying attention and I had the air pressure too high... 30 lbs will have the tire running on the very center of the tire. I went to 15 lbs.

If you go to the HF website and read the other people's suggestions in the customer rating, you can get some other ideas for modifying your trailer.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
View attachment 61234

Here is my HF trailer, changed all lights to LED took out 1 set of springs and extended the tongue 18'' by just bolting it in a different position all for $220 i had a car topper allready and run tires at 15 psi i have about 2000 miles on it. i did use good wheel bearing grease

http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb...ailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html
You did a great job building that up.

Nice for what you have invested in it for sure. A little more rummage sailing and you could of found that trailer used too! I bought one of the 4 x 4 HF trailers at a rummage sail for $20 once. It had a plate but no title, easily fixed at DOL.

What is the chain for under your trailer?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.