Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

getting about that time to put some new tires on the bike. Currently it has the spoked wheel which means I have to use a tubed tire. Can't really see the tire much anyway because of the hondaline bags on it, but I have been thinking it may be safer(better?) to switch to a mag wheel so I can use a tubeless tire.
I know I ran over a nail once with my tube tire and it went flat instantly, plus I could not fix it beside the road. Tube tire I could always try to plug it and limp to a service area.
any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Other than saving the cost of a tube I don't see any real advantage.

Years ago we used to run a Self Sealing Tire product in the tubeless tiresso that if they caught a nail etc. it would seal off and not go flat. You couldn't put this in a tubeless tire at that time as it would eat away at the aluminum rim.

I don't know if there is any weight difference between spoked or mag wheels but this would affect the bike in some fashion.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

you have a couple of choices.... if you can find a lester mag, by all means go tubeless, if you put on a rear comstar off of a 78-9, here is the issue... honda labled those comstars as "tubed type" I have run my rear for nearly 30 years tubless without any problems.... I know dennis Kirks has stems that will fit, but you do have to take a file and flatten the inside surface for the O-ring to seal.... the other problem you may face, if you go to a shop to change your tire, and they see you have a "tube-type" rim they will insist you put a tube in it

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

There must be an insurance issue here too if it was in the UK it would fail an mot if the tester clocked it most would not spot it but if there was an issue with an accident and a tyre defaltion caused it then the insurance co. would walk away me thinks

·
Administrator
26,148 Posts
imported post

If the rim has a ridge around it where the bead of the tire is locked on the rim it should work fine but if it doesn't have that ridge it might not be a good idea. I have mounted several tires tubeless on old tube type automotive rims for trailers and such and had no problems yet but if it does deflate it will come off the bead and be bad news.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

don_berry wrote:
I know I ran over a nail once with my tube tire and it went flat instantly, plus I could not fix it beside the road. Tube tire I could always try to plug it and limp to a service area. any thoughts?
Yeah, get a tire patch kit. If you have tools enough to break the bead and pull the tube out while the wheel's still on the bike you can patch the tube and stuff it back in ready to go. A tube patch is safer and more reliable than a tubeless tire plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.