Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This may have already been addressed in the past, but as I'm new to the forum I wanted to see if anyone can help. I'm am trying to install a Show Chrome Fog Light kit on my '06 GL1800. I have the brackets, lights & new switch installed with the 3-way harness adapter plugged in to the back of the new switch, but I cannot locate the black 4-pin accessory connector that they claim on the instructions is right behind the left side control panel where you mount the new switch. I watched the installation video from this site as well and it shows it in the same spot as the instructions that came with the kit, but alas, I cannot find it. I even took out the left side glove box to allow more room to trace the main wire harness. Has the connector been moved to a different location on the later model 1800's?? The label on the kit claims it is for GL1800 Gold Wing 2001-2008. Show Chrome part # is 52-604. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Kit, thanks for the response and attachment. I talked to 3 different shops & they told me the same thing and that it would be in the same area but I spent over an hour searching up & down the wiring harness in that location and that connector is not where it shows it is supposed to be (behind the left control panel). There is a connector inside of a boot right there but it is red, a different size & pin configuration & already attached to another connector. Supposedly this is a 4-pin black plug that is not plugged into anything and it's nowhere to be found without having to strip the upper panels. I stuck my hands in there in every direction possible, in every nook & cranny I could fit my hand into and tugged on every branch I could find with no luck. At this point I'm almost convinced that they've moved it somewhere else on later models or they've buried it to where it is not readily accessible through that panel.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

The file I have attached is for the 2006 year model bike. It is an airbag model, but other than more congestion it is the same.

Try a mirror and flashlight, it may be taped into the wire harness a bit further down, may be able to see it may not.

You may end up taking the shelter off to find it. It is there somewhere. There should be two rubber boots right there next to each other. Look carefully, may be tucked in tight behind everything.

Kit

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

I had a similar situation and found the plug folded backward and taped to another wire deep down. Be patient and keep looking.
Dave

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well, unfortunately, I never found it myself, but I took it into one of the shops that I deal with that specializes in Goldwings & even though he wouldn't offer a personal look as to where the plug was he explained that it was 6" to 8" south of where you take the control panel off, underneath a black rubber boot that has more than one connector in there. After he told me that, I remembered seeing the boot, which was nearly out of reach without taking the shelter off and I had pulled on the wires going to that but was not able to feel any of them just sitting in there, freestanding, so I'm not sure what he had to do to get the connector up out of there. He says he didn't have to take the shelter off. He had it for about a half an hour & only charged me $20 labor which was worth it to me, to save me pulling the shelter, even though I feel like a 'tool' for not being able to find it myself. Another lesson learned. Thanks for those trying to help!! The lights are great and really help you get seen better by others.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Thank-you for the information I have seen a boot down there but can only just get to it, there does not seem enough wires going into it and it will not move? I shall keep trying.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

To assist any body with a UK Goldwing they do have a different wiring harness that the American version and do not have this plug. I got this information from Appleyards who is a large Goldwing dealer in the UK. I hope this saves any UK owner s a lot of time I wasted looking for this Plug. Good luck all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.