Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I bought my goldwing the saddle bag lights did not work, so a couple of weeks ago I ordered a set of show chrome lights to go on my bike. Well they come in and was a simple installation and when I turned them on 1 of the six lights was out. So I took them off and carried them back and they sent me a new set. I installed them and they worked great. rode the bike a couple weeks and the other day when I was putting the bike in the garage I noticed 2 bulbs were out, again on the right side. Well I got all up set and started testing for shorts, loose wires, whatever. Never found anything. Today it warmed up a little so I went in the garage and fired up the bike and will you look at that, all the lights are working again. My distributor said they might be getting to much power or getting hot, I don't know about that, it looks like if it was anything on the bike causing it the whole strip would go out. Any body else have a problem with these lights? Any opinions? I am stumped if its not just bad lights.:byebye:

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

An electronic device such as an LED will only draw the current it needs. Getting hot is another thing but the light system should have been designed to run cool enough to survive.

My thought is that there are cold solder joints in the assembly that are intermittent. Even soldering that looks good may be defective. I have revived many electronic devices by simply reheating the connections to get a good connection.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

LEDs? i've not seen the LED version of their 6-lamp saddlebag lights --

The common 6-lamp saddlebag lights (p/n 2-346) have 6-bulbs that fit into sockets on a circuit-board inside the saddlebag lamp housing -- it's not uncommon to have those lights wiggle around a bit in their tiny sockets and turn on/off unexpectedly...

The directions that come with the lights don't say much about opening the lights up -- but it can be done to get at the bulbs and change/test/tighten em...

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

I think Stan is right. Those saddlebag lights for the 1500 have small capless bulbs. I've never seen LED ones, unless they are a new product.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

wbetheajr2 do you still have the installation instructions for those. I bought a pair of them off ebay & never got any, They cut the connections off of them & I will need to see the original instructions to correctly wire into the rear light harness.

Really appreciate your feedback.

thanx

Galen

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I am sorry, I threw them away as soon as i got done putting them on. Maybe I am mistaken but I sure thought I had read that they were LED's. I could be wrong though. I don't think I should be having to take them apart as new as they are, I could understand 3 or 4 years down the road. Is there a better brand than these? Just in case I can get a refund on them.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

1oldsoldier wrote:
wbetheajr2 do you still have the installation instructions for those. I bought a pair of them off ebay & never got any, They cut the connections off of them & I will need to see the original instructions to correctly wire into the rear light harness.

Really appreciate your feedback.

thanx

Galen
Galen .... installation instructions are located in the top right of this page.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

wbetheajr2-Thanx so much for the feedback. appreciated your help.

Dusty, Thanx for your help-saved my bacon on this one. So greatly appreciated. Have a great day!!!

Galen

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

From Dusty's copy of the instructions it definitely looks like those are incandescent bulbs not LEDs. I had an earlier version of those lights on my 1500 but the bulbs were replaceable in sockets although I had to repair a couple of the sockets due to heat damage.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Roger that, exavid. The lights I have are incandescent, however, only 4 lights, not six. Should be able to follow the same methodology.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I see that they are not LED's but they are new and should not be having to replace them constantly. I am on another new set now and one day 6 bulbs burn and another day 5 bulbs burn, another day 4 will burn, and today 6 are burning bright. The dealer said he would make them good but I am tired of changing them out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had my light apart today because two bulbs were not lit. They were loose and would light up when wiggled. I spread the contact wires on them and reinstalled. They are working now . My main reason for opening the light was to see how I could put LEDs in over the winter.
Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.