Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This being the first weekend I have my GW, I have done little riding as I have spent the day installing and customizing. This post is in regards to the Trunk Lights from Show Chrome. They are LED lights that install where your trim is now. Surprisingly the instructions were easy to follow even though the drawing leaves a lot to desire. The removal and plug and play went quite fast about 1/2 hour and with no knowledge of how the bike is built. The lights are red LEDs behind clear lenses and chrome trim. The only comment I would make is that the back strip should be plugged into the right side light even though there are plugs on both sides. It is so the notch in the LED strip can go around the center screw that holds the trunk under-casing. This was not stated in the simplistic instructions. The lights are running lights and break lights.

Tomorrow I have to do the Saddlebag LEDs which I hope are running and turn signal.

Today I also installed the Show Chrome Fog Lights. If it were not for the video and instructions I found on this site it would have taken forever. I am so appreciative for having this resource prior to starting the install. The assembly went quite straight forward. The biggest help was the comment that I would find the plug in the Boot under the control panel. Otherwise I don't know if I ever would have slid the black boot back far enough to find the plug. I installed the loop so I have control over the fogs completely. Push on/off whenever I want. My big problem with that install was that the left upper screw hole on the engine block was poorly tapped past the original screw depth and the new deeper screw would not go in all the way. I had to cut the screw rather than try to bears down and try to force new threads and perhaps break the screw off. It worked, I cut the screw down by about 3/8 inch and it then snugged up. Shoving the grommets in was also a comedy scene.

Kuryakyn heated grip kit went on with no issues other than I put the left on the right and the right on the left. A lot of pinching of the rubber to get them to snap closed, but it did work as the instructions said. Is there any reason I should undo the shells and reverse them? I know they are setup differently with the left having the screw end. I accidentally put that one on the throttle side and I loosened the screw so that the throttle would spin loosely. The end cap will keep the screw on. Does anyone think this is a problem? Should I attempt to remove the chrome shells and reinstall on the correct side? The grips heater wires are not pinched on either side, so was planning on leaving well enough alone.

I added a chrome accent and LED light to the Garnish. The instructions were very clear on NOT to drop the garnish screw into the fairing, but I did. After trying for an hour to retrieve it with a magnet I went to Honda and they gave me a couple of not quite the same screws and I also went to Home Depot and bought a screw that was a thread longer. Second time around I was very careful putting it back together. But The instructions said to plug into the black plug by the mirror and I only had orange on one side and blue on the other. I tried both and they both worked as running lights but when I put on the respective blinker the LEDs go off until the blinker is cancelled. I could find no other plugs so I left it on the right side and when I put my right blinker on the garnish LEDs go off. I guess I live with it that way.

Front Fender Chrome hole fillers went on with no issue. I do spend too much time cleaning items while I do my installs though.

Next weekend I install the Kuryakyn armrests, chrome key plate, and any other goodies I pickup during the week. Any advice is always appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Doesn't your bike come with the heated grips as standard? I thought they were part of the comfort package. :waving:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yes the bike has the heated grips I just installed the Chrome and Rubber Kurykyn covers over the stock rubber. They are simply two rubber sleeves that slide over the stock grips and then two halfs of chrome that go over the rubber to give you a wider handle hold on the bars. The instructions were clear as to left and right its I that was NOT clear on what is left and what is right until AFTER I installed them. They are two different styles of install, the throttle is supposed to have just the two halfs and an end cap whilst the clutch side has the two halfs a center screw and the end cap. When I first installed them I made the center screw very tight and the throttle would bearly move. I lossened the center screw and put the end cap on and it spins and rebounds as normal. I just want someone to either reassure me that this is OK or to tell me that I HAVE to switch them as the center screw on the clutch side is vitally important.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think it wise to switch them. If you look at the clamshells you will see that the clutch side is only two halves, and has a longer slot to adjust your preferred position around the grip heater cable, this side is also the side that secures within the end cap to keep the grip from every having a chance to rotate.

The throttle side has a small cut out to fit around the grip heater cable and can only fit in that position, and the center screw for the throttle screw(that secures from the side) has a purpose to pull the clam shell together tightly and lock it to the grip, so there will not be a possibility for the grip to ever rotate on the bottom grip.

Will it ever do this, rubber , against rubber, lot of grip there for sure , but that is why they are of different designs.

I would not think a fastener not secure would be great either in the throttle side, vibration, whatever, could possible freeze the throttle at a bad time. There should not be a fastener to interfere with the free action of the throttle, that is why also they have the throttle side designed so the bottom fastener comes in from the side and not into the center of the grip. Eliminates the possibility to freeze or lock the throttle in open position.

Yep I would switch them. Only takes a few minutes, and if you will spray the inner sleeves with dish soap they snap together very easily.

Kit

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Kit,

Thank you for your insight. I will certainly change them. I fear that I wont be able to twist the rubber to the correct position so that the 1/2s will line up correctly with the heater cables. I did spray window cleaner to get them on to begin with and the cleaner made it easy to slide on but on the throttle side it was a pain trying to spin the rubber as the throttle kept spinning as well plus I was pulling hard on the heater wire whilst attempting to spin it. That is why I thought the half with the long channel for the wire was meant to go on the throttle side. I was wrong.

Again thanks for the help. It will be done.

regards

FLmark Mark B

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well I did try to remove the hand-grips and ended up breaking the metal and chipping the metal at the seams. They are not meant to be removed nicely. I bought another set and they went on fine and correctly. Twisting the rubber was no problem when the two metal halves were removed.

The Kurakyan Armrests went on rather easily. The nerves were peaking when I had to drill the left side of the trunk but got up the nerve and followed the directions as to exactly where the holes should be and it went very smooth.

Saw a new 09 GW with over $7000 worth of add ons before it left the dealership. The Cb and CD unit were the most expensive parts but what impressed me most was the ride on/off center stand.It was sweet when the sales guy just reversed onto the center stand no lifting at all. The Transformer cruise pegs, transformer passenger boards and driver boards all looked amazing with all the panels on both sides and lowers including cowls Timing chain cover all Chromed.

I want the stand and all the boards of course.

Just letting anyone who reads this know whats going on.

Regards to all,

FLmark

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Flmark wrote:
Well I did try to remove the hand-grips and ended up breaking the metal and chipping the metal at the seams. They are not meant to be removed nicely. I bought another set and they went on fine and correctly. Twisting the rubber was no problem when the two metal halves were removed.

The Kurakyan Armrests went on rather easily. The nerves were peaking when I had to drill the left side of the trunk but got up the nerve and followed the directions as to exactly where the holes should be and it went very smooth.

Saw a new 09 GW with over $7000 worth of add ons before it left the dealership. The Cb and CD unit were the most expensive parts but what impressed me most was the ride on/off center stand.It was sweet when the sales guy just reversed onto the center stand no lifting at all. The Transformer cruise pegs, transformer passenger boards and driver boards all looked amazing with all the panels on both sides and lowers including cowls Timing chain cover all Chromed.

I want the stand and all the boards of course.

Just letting anyone who reads this know whats going on.

Regards to all,

FLmark
I am sorry your grips chipped. I am the worlds worst at not saying things completely. If you ever have occasion to remove them in the future, if you will simply push in on the split lines they will pop apart. They are designed to lock together at the split , but by pushing down hard on the split and compressing them and the rubber they will come right off. I should have told you that.

Sounds like the UPS man will get to know your address quite well. ;) Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.