Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's sitting out there in the garage, draped in sheets, personal Teddy Bear to keep it company, and it's still sad... :(I couldn't stand it. I had to hearthat 81 GL 1100 Interstaterumble.

On the serious side, I am also one of those that believes, right or wrong, in starting a bike periodically during the winter.I let it run not just for a few minutes though, but until it reaches operating temp and quits blowing exhaust steam in order to get everything dried out. This typically takes twenty minutes or so in these temps. It's been at or below zero fahrenheit here for most of the last two weeks.

Got her fired up today, and noticed coolant dripping on the floor a few minutes later in a spot about half the size of a playing card. Further investigation showed a small pool of fresh coolant on top of the left engine casing just behind the left head. No sign of cracks or a blown head gasket....in fact, the puddle didn't seem to be growing, just starting to smoke with the rapidly warming engine. I wiped it off and there WAS no leak! Just the smoke as the rest of the spilled coolant burned away, then....nothing. No more problems apparentasI let it run another five minutes with the temp guage at normal, then shut her down again. The coolant tank is low (of course) since at least some of it's contents has just leaked out. I recall getting a faint whiff of the sickly sweet smell of antifreeze right towards the end of the riding season, but the tank wasn't noticeably low and the smell wasn't strong or constant. NOW though, I'm a bit concerned.

Is it possible that something gets loose or sloppy when the engine gets cooled off(especially below zero cooled off!) and allows the coolant to leak out. but tightens up and re-seals itself as soon as the engine gets warm? Me and the Wing, we're still getting to know one another. Liquid cooled bikes are new to me, I was always an air cooled guy. Any idea where to look?

:stumped:

Thanks!

Tom

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Quite common & probable, also check to be sure the caps are tight on the brake & clutch reservoirs, mine have leaked in the past & that stuff destroys plastic. :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

One of the coolant crossover tube O rings are leaking.
A common problem shrinking and swelling like you have.

I put a very thin film of high temp silicone on the O rings as it's going together and never have a problem, then again I've never had the bike in those low temps.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

In a nutshell from what you describe, the head gasket is leaking or just starting to spread. Running the bike in winter (storage) really is not needed because when the bike warms up the difference in temperature will case cool air full of water vapor to condense and water as a liquid then covers the bike internally as well as externally.

A failef head gasket can be restored without any wor but it leaves you prone to further problems and with silicated left in the cooling areas, but a gasket fix may work with silica in solution poured in the throat of the A/E cooling rad. Again be warned you will have to clean everything when a proper repair is done, but the beads of the solution will plu minor leaks and stop the leak (maybe, there is a risk that all you do is add foriegn material to the gasket) A compression test may help, along with examining the oil and cooland for oil or coolant in each other.

This is a temporary fix or not, since it is down for the winter, check it out (compreesion, leak down) and do a proper repair.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

dan filipi wrote:
One of the coolant crossover tube O rings are leaking.
A common problem shrinking and swelling like you have.

I put a very thin film of high temp silicone on the O rings as it's going together and never have a problem, then again I've never had the bike in those low temps.
YEP! THATS IT!!!

I've been there - done the exact same thing.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

This actually is realatively common for wings in storage. There was a recent thread with several people describing the same thing. A little silicone may fix the problem (if you want to take it apart), but if it is just a few drops during this storage period with large temperature changes, I wouldn't worry about it if it were mine.. When the Orings get more pliable and as parts expand as they heat up, they usually will seal back up...

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank you guys!!!! I feel LOTS better, and I'll quit obsessing about it (for now)!! We'll see what the Spring brings. Happy Holidays!!
Tom

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't put anything in the cooling system with silca, it would get your water pump.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

My 79 used to do the same thing. I found one of the O rings on the crossover pipe had been tweeked when installed either at the factory or by the PO. New O ring fixed it.

Q

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Replacing the O rings is very easy and takes little time. Remove the 2 bolts on the outer end of the tubes and remove them by gently rocking them from side to side while pulling. Clean the tubes and mounts well and go to the hardware store. They will have the O rings to match the originals. Lube and install. You can make a gasket for the outer mount. Easy job. Won't leak again for 28 years or ?

John

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

ralphkramden wrote:
It's sitting out there in the garage, draped in sheets, personal Teddy Bear to keep it company, and it's still sad... :(I couldn't stand it. I had to hearthat 81 GL 1100 Interstaterumble.

On the serious side, I am also one of those that believes, right or wrong, in starting a bike periodically during the winter.I let it run not just for a few minutes though, but until it reaches operating temp and quits blowing exhaust steam in order to get everything dried out. This typically takes twenty minutes or so in these temps. It's been at or below zero fahrenheit here for most of the last two weeks.

Got her fired up today, and noticed coolant dripping on the floor a few minutes later in a spot about half the size of a playing card. Further investigation showed a small pool of fresh coolant on top of the left engine casing just behind the left head. No sign of cracks or a blown head gasket....in fact, the puddle didn't seem to be growing, just starting to smoke with the rapidly warming engine. I wiped it off and there WAS no leak! Just the smoke as the rest of the spilled coolant burned away, then....nothing. No more problems apparentasI let it run another five minutes with the temp guage at normal, then shut her down again. The coolant tank is low (of course) since at least some of it's contents has just leaked out. I recall getting a faint whiff of the sickly sweet smell of antifreeze right towards the end of the riding season, but the tank wasn't noticeably low and the smell wasn't strong or constant. NOW though, I'm a bit concerned.

Is it possible that something gets loose or sloppy when the engine gets cooled off(especially below zero cooled off!) and allows the coolant to leak out. but tightens up and re-seals itself as soon as the engine gets warm? Me and the Wing, we're still getting to know one another. Liquid cooled bikes are new to me, I was always an air cooled guy. Any idea where to look?

:stumped:

Thanks!

Tom
You also may want to check your hose clamps I work in fleet maintenence services and usually as the weather starts getting colder we see lots of cold cool down leaks thatare easily resolved bypressurizing the system and tightening clamps. Gary

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

I am new here and also new to goldwings-
Checking spark plugs is a good 1st check for combustion leaks in a head gasket they will be a different color from the others if there is a coolant leak into the cylinder. If you are sure it is from the head gasket it shouldn't hurt to retorque the heads,that has saved me a few times. The crossover tubes -well I haven't even seen them yet.Since mine isn't even home yet. My 2 bits.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I would suggest you sing the

I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride

Song to the motorcycle for the 20 to 25 minuets to stop the weeping ;)

If you where to put me up and just tease me every now and then I'd cry a little too :(

:cooldevil::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I have had this happen to my current wing and my last bike (Honda Pan European ST1300, 2005 model). The leak is always small, always stops as the engine warms up and has had no adverse effect on either bike.

Just remember to top up the coolant lost and there is no problem. It only happens in the winter coldweather when the bikes are laid up for a period of time,and there are large temperature differences.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.