Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you have lost the side cover pins you will need to use abs glue to build up new ones. If you have them broken off in the grommets here is an alternative repair that is really strong and provides a rubber backing for a bit of flexibility. The flange around the SIDE COVER pin was built with epoxy and the final adhesion skirt is made of aluminum tape roof flashing. It will stick to ANYTHING non porous. You can make the stick-on flange as large as you wish. This approx 3x3 patch was plenty strong. It will NOT pull off. You will need to superglue the pin and epoxy flange in place to secure it while you pull the patch skirt over it. I used a ballpoint pin to punch a small hole in the patching tape in the correct place. You can also make your pins using wood screws (Senior member Rayworks)and epoxy. The screw head will provide the same secure hold on the flange that the original pin taper provides. Hope this helps a few folk and email me if you have questions.

Attachments

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pinto I came up with this because J B Weld failed. It will work fine building the flange but it will not stick to the ABS cover reliably. In my post previous to this one several members provided the ABS glue solution. I think my subconscience was trying to locate the flashing material in my memory banks as I contemplated a material that would stick. I had a roll in the shop from a recent roof addition and that is why it stuck in my mind. Hah!:waving:

Just checked out your link Bill. Naope! Epoxy wont do it. You will be dissapointed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.