Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I stumbled across a great replacement for the broken side cover pins on a 1500. I was about to toss out a dash bezel from a 2000 Ford Ranger and happened to notice these friction clips.

They are the same height of the plastic pins that are part of the cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I used a product from Crest Industries called Formula 21. It's a 2 part rigid urethane adhesive. I filed the remnants of the proken pin down to the flat base. I then drilled two 1/8" holes and paddled the adhesive down through them. I then placed the pin in the adhesive and paddled the adhesive over the base of the clip. This sandwiched the clip and base between the adhesive.

The clips that were broken on mine werethe lower ones The orientation is important there because the grommets are oval shaped when they are installed. They fit snug and the legs can be adjusted to get the fit perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Great idea. I just broke one on my Wing the other day. That panel is over $250 to order.

I may have to adapt your idea. I do have the old clip and my friend at a body shop gave me some adhesive to try. I'll give that a shot if not I'll move to plan B and use your method.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

:readit:Do you know if that adhesive will work on the side cover of the 84 GL1200i ? And the pins also, I suppose they'll work too. I was in the process of trying to figure out what to use and just for S&G tried a lookup and found your listing. I guess it's worth a try. I suppose I could also try and take the picture to the auto dealer, or advance auto and see if they have such a fastener. I've been trying to figure out what kind of adhesive will work, I've never heard of such as you mentioned. It's a good day, I learned something.:praying:

·
Best looking member
3,106 Posts
imported post

Still haven't found anything to beat a generous dollop of J B Weld.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

and for some insurance--- get Rudy's keeper kits. they work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.