Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As part of my winter maintenance/freshening, I'm going to replace the rubber grommets that hold the side covers in place. I found these round grommets, and these oval grommets. Both claim they are for side covers, but quite obviously they can't both be.

Has anyone used these before? Which ones should I be looking at? I'm leaning towards the round ones.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i dont know either--but i kind of lean toward the round ones too.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

My 82 1100 side cover grommets are round.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

funny this topic came up. yesterday when I got home from my weekly polar bear ride, I noticed my right side cover was hanging on by only one grommet.Is this a sign there gonna fall off completely soon?It was completely on when I left.,,,

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You should get an idea, based on the shape of the tab. There should be an obvious difference. Easy to see on the 1500's. The hole in the frame, should also help. Oval ones (grommets) are different from the round.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I went and checked on mine.You need fouroval grommets four the upper mounts and tworound grommets for the lower mounts.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

rubber will shrink, more in winter than summer. your door seals included. If you treat rubber seals & grommits with a slick of vasaline, they will stay at their origional size.

A member suggested putting shrink tube on the pins that go through the grommit. I tried out that advise & it works well. It increases the size of the pin & also makes the pin more non slip than shiny plastic. Bit tougher to pop on & off but thats the main objective!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

k1w1t1m wrote:
I went and checked on mine.You need fouroval grommets four the upper mounts and tworound grommets for the lower mounts.
:waving:You are correct! Here are the Honda part numbers for the upper & lower grommets.

83551-300-000, upper 4 each and 83551-376-000, lower, 2 each.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

my 1200s grommets look round but the pegs on the cover are oblong.
I guess i would buy the oval for these. The 1100 covers pegs are round.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

My local Honda dealer had a package that has an assortment of grommets. As I recall it was only about $6. Don't go to the parts counter as they are too expensive. Check in the accessories area.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
my 1200s grommets look round but the pegs on the cover are oblong.
I guess i would buy the oval for these. The 1100 covers pegs are round.
:waving:The upper grommets on the GL1100 are not round, the lower grommet on each side is round. As you can see from my previous post the Honda part numbers are different for the upper and lower grommets.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ok, here is a shot of one of the top grommets, it appears to be oval, as it's not quite round in shape. Now the pegs on the back of the covers are round. I think the top oval ones are that way to allow a little movement when taking them off.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The image below is from Hond Direct Line and plainly shows the difference between the upper and lower grommets for the GL1100. Notice that the upper grommets are oval thelower is round.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Checked the prices at one of the local dealers and the upper grommets are $2.96 each and the lower ones are $2.99 each which is cheaper overall than buying them from Honda Direct Line Parts which has a minimum shipping charge I believe of $7.00.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

yup just got these for mine. only had one usable left from both sides. Found warming them in hot water helped with installing. Agree with heat shrink idea. I've seen this before installed as standard on Kawasakis. I fouind that just the round ones was all i needed but the price is the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.