Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new to me 94SE. Two of the studs on the battery side cover were broken. I searched online and found plastic replacement studs that were to expensive. I found an alternate solution with McMaster-Carr stud balls (part # 9512K73). I ground them down to match the length of the broken studs. I also added a nut at the base to increase the contact area for the JB-Weld I used to anchor them. The cost of the stud balls was around $1.00 each. They fit tight but work perfectly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
It'll probably hold, but the JB-Weld would hold better to bare plastic, not paint.

Is this an item you get an auto parts store?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'll probably hold, but the JB-Weld would hold better to bare plastic, not paint.

Is this an item you get an auto parts store?
I did grind down the broken stud to bare plastic. I next put the new ball studs into the grommets and put a small dab of nail polish on the end. I put the cover back on and the nail polish marked where the stud needed to go. I just ended up covering more area with the JB-Weld than was ground clean. It seems to be secure.

Getting the new stud in the correct position was a pain. If I were to do it again I would tack the nut in the spot I thought was correct and then screw the new stud in place and made sure it lined up correctly. Once satisfied I would use red Loctite to secure the stud to the nut and then cover everything with JB-Weld.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
You are the Man! I was looking to replace the side covers because of missing stud balls. You just saved me hundreds of $$. Great Job! And again thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.