Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

I have a 1994 GL1500 Interstate. The bike won't start with the sidestand down when in neutral. According to the handbook it should start providing it is in neutral, but it doesn't.

With the sidestand up it will start in gear with the clutch pulled in as it should. I have considered bypassing the sidestand switch, but would sooner get to the bottom of why it won't work as it should.

Has anybody had the same problem or can anybody shed some light on the possible cause.

Thanks

Steve

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Have you tried spraying wd40 on the side stand switch first?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Ted,

Test on switch proved it to be functioning correctly when up and down with resistance readings as they should be. It is not a push one, but one that rotates with the sidestand.

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi ..is it a Japanese import ? I had a 1500 jap import with the same problem and was told it was like this on a lot of japanese imports ,, and was made like this ,,check it out ..cheers Ciaran:waving:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi Cieran,

I'm not sure from which country it has been imported.

I have been checking some wiring diagrams and the link from sidestand to clutch switch is there as per the schematic so I'm of the opinion that it should start with the sidestand down. Next step is to check the relays as the sidestand appears to go to relay 3 before feeding relay 8 which is the starter relay.

Stange and I'll probably never get to the bottom of it, but on these long cold winter nights it makes sense to sort her out for the trip to Italy in March.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.