Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Side stand & Drivers footpeg

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RB 
#1 ·
imported post

Gee I'm getting excited and impatient! My Dr. put me on some meds for my achilles heel,its healing well but still can't use the foot with out a brace for a few more weeks,Cool thing is the meds are doing a lot of good for my left hip-(right heel ,left hip who woudda thunk)? Good news is I think I can (at least for now)ride .

Now for some experienced opnions-because of my hip & knee

problems, I have to stand on the drivers peg -while on the side stand,to

mount,(Iam a big guy 6ft -30 in inseam-short legs-290 lbs.ouch,!)will this

eventually break the side stand? It seems to me I recall it mentioned that the

center stand has a tendency to break off. How about the pegs? Will they take

it over the long run

My stuff for the rear mastercylinder has been shipped,and should be here this week.

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

That is how I mount and dismount any touring bike, have always done that. I also help my wife onto the bike first when we are riding two up and still mount and dismount that way so my leg will clear the bike better.

Has never broke yet, But I would just make it a point to periodically check the sidestand bolt and the play in it. If it ever becomes excessively floppy, I would install a new bolt or stand or whatever is worn out.

Normally no need to worry about it, one caution would simply be when using this method to always park your bike with the front elevation up the hill. That way pressure is correct on the side stand, if you park down hill, always could maybe roll forward off the side stand.

That is why I always scope the parking areas out, sometimes even ride around a couple times and pick a good spot, with the front headed up and out. Just age old habit, I have only used reverse about two times on my bike.

Kit

#3 ·
imported post

I don't think mounting the bike like that will cause you any problems, it's very common.

If your worried about the long term effect on the pegs, try to keep your foot as close to bike as possible when your stepping over. That way you won't be using the length of the peg as lever, and less force will be transferred to the joint.

#4 ·
imported post

Wow, I never heard of breaking a side stand from doing this. I never really thought about it.

I too always have my wife climb on board while the bike is on the side stand. She climbs up into my seat and then slides back an inch at a time, trying to raise herself up to the higher back seat. It's quite a production actually. ;)

Anyway, she isn't nearly as big as a 6'3" 290# man, but we've never had any problems.

Also when I bought my first Goldwing, I got my used 1200 at the dealership and I asked the salesman about getting on the bike, because it was so "big and heavy". He showed me how stable it was and he stood on the foot pegs and bounced up and down to show me that the bike wouldn't move. Apparently he was very confident in the strength of the foot pegs and the kickstand.

Another thought; what method do you use to get your leg over the bike? Do you swing your leg over the back or do you lift your foot over the drivers seat like a step through.

It's most common for guys riding motorcycles to swing their leg over the back, but when I got my 1200 I just couldn't do it. I had a drivers back rest on the bike and there was just no way I could lift my leg that high. So I bent my leg at the knee and just pushed my foot over the drivers seat and I have been doing it that way since.

I later learned that a lot of people that have the Tulsa extra tall windshield bump their heads/helmets into the windshield when trying to mount the normal way and end up mounting like I do.

#5 ·
imported post

I'm 5'11" and used to be 260# and I always just stepped up on the foot peg for the extra height it gives you and makes it easier to swing a leg over.

Nothing to worry about, that's a steel frame down there it's bolted to.

I'm not much on the flat footed on the ground technique anymore. Hips don't like to stretch that far anymore ;)

#6 ·
imported post

I have to swing my leg over the back-still it drags as the range of motion is very limited.
Thats right I have never heard of breakinga side stand but have a recollection of a hearing of a weaknes in the side stand.(Heck I used to grab my 750 by a handle bar and the sissy bar and pull it to a balance on the side stand,and pivot it 180 dgerees and drive off rather then back it out of a lot of spots-I have wondered if the wing side stand will allow this(It probably won't so I am not seriously entertaining that idea) YET !!!!

#7 ·
imported post

The only issue is the frame in that area can rust out and there goes the stand..so check it once in a while..ping with a hammer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.