Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just installed a set of Markland floor boards on my 80 1100 with a heel toe shifter. Everything seems to be working fine except the fact that the side stand is hitting the shifter at times. It takes a little more effort than I would like to shift at times. Any one have a fix for this other than removing the boards and going back to the pegs and original shifter?

By the way I have already done a search through the forums and also checked the index to no avail, so its up to you guys.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I have had the Markland boards on mine since it was new and I don't see how the side stand can get anywhere near the shifter. I don't have a picture with the stand in the up position. But when up it is well under the H/T shifter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

My Markland setup is slightly different than most I've seen. It doesn't use the original shifter. It replaces it with a linkage rod instead.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,883 Posts
imported post

plskthompson wrote:
My Markland setup is slightly different than most I've seen. It doesn't use the original shifter. It replaces it with a linkage rod instead.
Need a pic.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

dingdong wrote:
plskthompson wrote:
Need a pic.
Here's the pic you wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I see you have it on the center stand with the kickstand in the down position. Now post one a little bigger for detail with the kickstand in the up and riding position in order to ascertain the clearance problem with the shifter.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

The red circle and arrow are pointing out what I believe is the problem. Hope this helps come up with a remedy.

See if this helps. It's the best I can do. It's the post that holds the spring onto the side stand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,883 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I can't make out that last pic well enough to suggest anything. Can you re do the pic a little larger so we can see more of the shifter lever?

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Try the edited pic. See if that helps any at all.

·
Premium Member
12,853 Posts
imported post

So the shifter hitsthe spring peg on the side stand and this prevents you from pushing down on the heel end of the shifter .

1 I would see about putting a little dab of weld on the side stand so it doesnt raise up quite so far .

2 Adjust the linkage so the heel end is higher up ( though that might make the front to low.

3 Apply some heat to that bow in the shifter where its hitting and raise it up .

just some thoughts from a non user

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

You have the Markland Model I, they were sold between '75 and '77. I had the model I on my '75 GL1000. I don't remember having the problem you have but that was a long time ago. As Wing&Prayer said, you can adjust the linkage to allow the heel end to come up a little higher in the frame but be careful, if it gets too high you may not be able to down shift. I would look for something I could clamp to the rear bar on the floor board frame so the side stand spring knob could hit that and keep it a little lower. Be aware that this could decrease ground clearance in a turn.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,883 Posts
imported post

Why don't you put a spacer behind the floorboardmount where it bolts to the bike frameand move it out to the leftsome?

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

Here are Pictures of my shifter, looks like the same one as yours hope it helps.

Mine does not hit at all.

Tib:cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

next picture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

last picture

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Tib's pics is the type and size we need to see.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

My pic's are I re-sized to 800x600

and it looks to me that his heel is set to low to clear the side stand.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

dingdong wrote:
Why don't you put a spacer behind the floorboardmount where it bolts to the bike frameand move it out to the leftsome?
I would try a spacer, but the thread shaft is just long enough now to get the nut started. I think I am going to try and adjust the linkage, though. It looks like Tib's is set just a little lower in the front than mine. I just hope I don't run into any down shifting issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.