Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

With cooler weather arriving I am wondering about making covers to block the side vents on the faring sides. Is that where the heat from the radiator normally bows out, and would covering those then send more heat out the air vents towards my legs.
Would I still get enough airflow through radiators to prevent over heating if I block those side vents, or would I just partially block them.

For the time being for colder mornings and cold wet days just something simple and cheap like glossy cardboard (glossy to help resist rain) and some Velcro strips to hold it in and be easy to remove.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

How about something like these? You can find them HERE and they range from $12-24.00

[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

I made my own set, but find that they hardly do anything worthwhile.

They do not raise the temp of the engine what-so-ever. (I've even ridden around on 90F days with them installed)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

I made my own set, but find that they hardly do anything worthwhile.

They do not raise the temp of the engine what-so-ever. (I've even ridden around on 90F days with them installed)

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

I believe i got mine from Niehaus Cycle and don't remember what i paid. They definitely help but not until the Wing is completely warmed up. My Wing has never run hot and wish i wouldn't have cleaned all the bugs out the radiators. lol Passengers have told me they feel the difference too if i turn the vent off.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

They are nice in winter as they force all the engine hot air from the radiator through the vents at your shins. Unless yo are wearing raingear the warmer air is noticeable and welcome.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yep, something like those linked to.
I don't have time to order anything, and I got to thinking how cold it was across TN. last year on the 1100 at night about this time of year. Not all that warm here last few nights either.

I'll try cutting some out of heavy cardboard and use them as needed and see if they help.

Now to figure a way to keep my feet warmer. LOL

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Chromo, a pair of pullover rain gaters or boots will help to keep your tootsies warmer. And I also have made covers for the side vents. :action:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Chromo...

I've run the vent blockers like pwhoever post above ... Nice, but as some posts state, when the blockers are fully closed of, all of the radiator air will pss through the heater outlets. Really, that's a LOT of air and not a lot of warmth. I do NOT have any source for this, but "back in the day" I seem to remember that someone did some temperature measurements with the outlet blockers in-place and came up with a 10*F increase in temp (outlet over ambient) -- there's a lot of variables there; I've never measured mine

My solution was to build-up an adjustable grill cover for the radiator inlets to be used in tandem with the outlet blockers. By kinda "guessing at" how much air needs to be blocked, you can create a noticible warm air flow at a lower velocity from the heater ducting.

Word of advice, IMHO, it's worth time to replace the duct seals. I used that crappy "all purpose weather stripping foam tape" from the local hardware store. This'll keep air where you want it to be (even makes the fans cool better in summer if you get them to seal correctly).

Now, for your feet -- that site that pwhoever linked to above, they also sell small air deflectors for your toes. These are great in rain and snow, and do deflect a fair amount of air away from your toes helping you to retain the heat that you have. ;)

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

If you end up at the NE Meet and Greet, (and I make it there) I have mine with me and you can try them to see what you think...

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I have been pondering some sort of ductwork or such, to utilize more of that precious heat in the winter. Must be some way of guiding that air to where we want it. Without looking like crap! Hmmmm. jimsjinx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.