Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Summer's coming and I am worried that the nice full fairing and shield are going to work against me in the heat. There was a thread here last month about windshield vents and how to install them, but no discussion about side wings, which seem easier to install and also readily available. Anyone have any opinions one way or the other? (silly question ;)

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

hossners wrote:
Summer's coming and I am worried that the nice full fairing and shield are going to work against me in the heat. There was a thread here last month about windshield vents and how to install them, but no discussion about side wings, which seem easier to install and also readily available. Anyone have any opinions one way or the other? (silly question ;)
hossners, I have the side "wind wings" on my 1200 & they work great for both the cold mornings (turned out) & warm afternoons (turned in). I would like a little more upper air for the helmet area but body wise those side wind wings seem to work good. My only real complaint is: I have broken a couple of side wind wings by kicking them with my foot when dismounting. I made a new set out of thick Lexan & so far haven't broken those. I plan on adding a couple of 3" windshield vents when I get a chance to make some as I haven't found any commercial vents I like.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

The side wings for the GL1800 are excellent. Not only do they look good colour matched but they are effective as well. They fill the contours of the bike very well from below themirror to the bottom of the top fairing and enhance the bike from the front view. You can turn them in hot weather so the lower ones deflect air to your body whilst you can open the top ones deflecting air inwards as well. Wouldn't be without them. The older ones on the 1500 are nowhere near as good looking as they are just a square bit of plastic mounted on the fairing.

The windscreen vent is OK but can be annoying when wearing an open face helmet as the air flow is directed onto your face and neck. It allows the odd fly, grit and dirt through the screen onto your face. It is also a fly magnet which takes some cleaning after a run. Personally I prefer not to have a windscreen vent.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Yeah my neighbour has the side wings fitted to his :18red:and they are great.

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Hossners:waving:Both, I just putthe wind wings on theymake a big difference in the heat on my 1200. I am also putting in a windshield vent as well. AZ Winger and I are both installing them he is doing his this weekend and I will as soon as a vent arrives that is not broken like the first one. I do not know how hot it gets in Portland, but in Texas and Arizona you need all the air you can get. We are installing the 2"X8" vent.

these are wind deflectors I installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Hi Hossners, I have windwings,upper and lower, on the fairing, handwings that mount under the mirrors, and a "tulsa" style windshield with the air vent. Never really thought I'd need any of them, but now that I have them and have ridden alot in all weather, wind, rain, heat, cold,snow(not by choice on the last one), I won't be without them. Gives you the opportunity to block the breeze or put it where you want it.:cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

I have theside wings on the fairing. I, too, have kicked and broken one getting off. But I immediately replaced it. Turned out in cold weather, they help keep me from getting chilled. Turned in during warm weather, they direct a surprising amount of air into the airspace behind the fairing. Even if I had the windshield vent I would still keep these for the extra shielding during cold weather.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Howdy everyone.

I just put on the wings that are in the picture above. My wife and I rode last weekend in cruddy cold wind conditions. Turned out, they kept me and my wife as warm as possible. We rode in +45 mph gusts, crosswind. Not a fun trip.:gunhead:

I'm installing some 3 1/4inch aircraft style vents, like my old Vetter had, and will experiment with the cooling.

Regards,

Hobie:clapper::11red:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Popped in the round vents in the windshield and.. and... yeah I'm getting a little more air but time will tell. Installation took me about 20 minutes total. A good 3 1/4in hole saw, patience, and they're in.

I do think that they'll take some of the low pressure from behind the windshield.

Hobie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.