Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Finally got my CSC Friendship II hung on my GL1500. Still got a bit to do... fine tuning the rigging, connecting it electrically, and I will be installing a Steerite triple tree, install progressive front springs and replace the seals/scrapers while I'm at it. It's been a bit challenging as I've done much of the work outside in a shelter (no heat), and it's winter here! Looking forward to those first rides in spring!

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Put a Dunlop Wintersport on the back of the bike and ride it all winter!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Man, you'd have to be one tough SOB to do that here - was minus 20C here yesterday! I have a Bridgestone Turanza car tire on a spare rim - that's going on it in spring too.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

That's what heated gear is for bro. Ya, -4 deg is cool dude time. So you wait a little bit for the thaw.
My Turanza is almost to the wear bars, @14,000+ miles since Aug 12. Lots of twisties on it in CO, PA, NH, ME, MA, CT, W VA and east TN.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Daryl...not to change the subject, but how do you like that shelter?
I am looking at one...12 X 20 X 8 tall to store my Wheel Horse tractors. The pole shed is too full of tractors & M/C's and other treasurers!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I start riding about +6C and put the bike away in fall when it got about that cool again. Stu, you're reading my mind, as I'm planning on buying a heated jacket liner and probably gloves too. The last couple of rides I got in this last fall I was close to hypothermic... sure takes away from the pleasure of the ride if you're shivering!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

KC9KAS wrote:
Daryl...not to change the subject, but how do you like that shelter?
I am looking at one...12 X 20 X 8 tall to store my Wheel Horse tractors. The pole shed is too full of tractors & M/C's and other treasurers!
That shelter is a 10 x 10. I have a 6 x 6 I moved to the backyard that I'm currently storingmy GL1100 in. These temp shelters are Ok, will last a few years, but eventually UV rays will weaken the fabric. For the price (got mine on sale for $130 or $150) and purpose, good enough until I eventually do build a garage (ours was converted into a living space by PO). if they're sited on cement, you really should brace across the legs by bolting 'em onto boards that you can weight down with something to keep 'em from getting blown around (did it with the 6 x 6, but not the 10 x 10.... yet).

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Put some grip heaters on there first before you spend big bucks on heated gloves.
DustyBoots recommends these. Sure wished I'd put some on before my trip back from NH in mid Nov. I had a bunch of 30 deg days and the only thing cold were my paws.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/RC51/16025.html

I had some good thermals from US Air Force arctic survival issue, so my body was toasty.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Stu - timely tip. I have my grips off right now. Am putting these old school Gran Turismo grips on - had them on my black GL1100 - loved 'em. I found the leather aftermarket grips that were on my bike when I bought it very slippery.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
42,496 Posts
imported post

Good looking rig Daryl. When I bought a Daytona 2+2 for my 1500 I didn't realize you had to cut holes in the tupperware. Scary. Thankfully no holes in the 1800s. Does the friendship have brakes? If not I would strongly suggest you get them.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
Stu - timely tip. I have my grips off right now. Am putting these old school Gran Turismo grips on - had them on my black GL1100 - loved 'em. I found the leather aftermarket grips that were on my bike when I bought it very slippery.
And very affordable too. I talked w/some Bmer guys in W VA that said with the grips they didn't use their heated gloves unless it was down below 0 deg f.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hi Harvey - no brakes. It's really problematic to upgrade to 'em right now too. DMC can sell me a kit... for $500, and I would have to weld on caliper mount onto the swingarm... after cutting off existing caliper mounts for which you can no longer get the OEM Brembo caliper.

Good thread here on all that: http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8938&posts=115&start=1

Ayone know where I can get a Brembo F04 caliper that has 60mm O.C. mounting holes? They've been out of production for years... Brembo apparently sold production rights to another company (unknown) and they ceased production too. Would be great if I could find an old Honda caliper off an older bike (that you can still buy replacement parts for).

·
Premium Member
42,496 Posts
imported post

Daryl are you saying that if you could find the Brimbo caliper your swingarm is set up for it? And do you have the wheel hub with brake rotor attached?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Oh yeah - would definitely install brake if I could do it without too much fuss or cost. If you read thru that link to the thread on USCA site, you'll read that the trailer hub had a rotor mounting flange (a ring) welded to it. Getting a hub with the rotor offset the correct amount is a problem. Jay at DMC sidecars ( http://www.dmcsidecars.com/ ) admits the hub/rotor assembly they sell likely wouldn't work with the Brembo F04 caliper, so a guy really needs to find one off a "retired" California Sidecar Co sidecar, or have his own made. I don't even know what the rotor diameter is - California Sidecar Company no longer supports the sidecars they sold. They had a fire which wiped out their sidecar manufacturing shop - now they concentrate on trike kits.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

:claps:

Well done Daryl!! With the holidays winding down plus news of your progress, I'm getting hyped to find a welder for that subframe job we've been talking about. Look for an email from me in the next few days please.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

OldSchool (aka Bruce) - anything I can do to help just ask. I hope you find a good TIG welder. I was (and remain) ecstatic to have found an aircraft certified welder able & willing to do small jobs for a fair price - man, does he ever do nice work!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Wow - got a ride in yesterday evening. We've had another amazing run of warm weather and the snow has been dissapearing quicker than I've ever seen before. The roads are a mess, but with these record temps, will be dry soon. we're actually expecting +20 something weather for the weekend. Sure is great to get back out riding again, and digging the sidecar. :^)

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Awesome Daryl! I'm so jealous, my car is off while I rework the frame. Hopefully, I'll be back oin the road too this weekend!!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Old School - it didn't happen if there's no pics :^) (hey, I've got no pics myself!) Good luck getting your bike ready. I've still got a little minor electrical stuff to do myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.