Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well the sidecar I bought in Georgia 2 years ago is finally installed by a good friend of mine in the MC riding club that I'm a founding member of.

It's all adjusted according to the manual , wired up for the lights.

Trying to find a brake master cylinder for it's brakes now that has a bike pedal on it and can be mounted next to the bike's pedal so I can use it to help pull the bike around right hand curves faster without being forced over the line into oncoming traffic. It has to be a left handed pedal if any were ever made.

If need be my Brother can weld a right handed 1 like we use further toward the front of the frame but turned around backwards. That is if the frame is long enough to allow it.

If I have to I can get my Brother to weld some extensions on the frame to move it over closer to the bike's pedal.

Anybody near me got one I can buy through PayPal? With shipping?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Good Deal, BM. Good to hear you're moving along with your rig. Can't help with parts though. I don't have any sidecar stuff, ...yet.

Throw us some pics up if you get a chance.

I'm definitely going to go with a sidecar on a bike. Will find the right deal once I actually get serious about it. Too much snow around here for me not to. Snow is holding-off so far this year, thankfully.

Stay Strong Bagmaster.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Good for you Michael. Share some pictures with us, I'd love to see how it turned out.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Right on there, Baggy! If you could, some pics would be fun to see! Never heard of a brake for that purpose! Kinda neat! Love and prayers still coming your way. JIm

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I had a VELOREX by JAWA years ago and it had a cable to a drum brake on the hack wheel, but I too had no luck finding the proper brake pedel to hook the cable to.
Hey, I think older British bikes shift on the right and brake on the left....maybe a Brit pedel will do the trick.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

This sidecar is the same way, drum brakes. At least I know what brand of car was used for it as I was able to get in contact with 1 of the builders of it through email.

He found me through a sidecar forum I belong to.

The Brit pedal setup could be the way to go if one that works can be found. Any body want to help in the search on the Brit eBay site?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...whiuch bike are dealing with. I don't recall. You've a 1000 and 1100 shown with your avatar. I think the 1000, right?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The 82 11oo, the 1000 is long gone.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

I'm not an expert on Hacks, and probably never will, but I read on a hack site (of course can't remember which one now) about a guy with a leaning sidecar. The leaning mechanism worked with a "double hinge" pivot sistem and a chain that allowed the sidecar to lean at the same angle as the bike. The relevant thing -to this thread- of this particular rig, was that the brake line to the sidecar wheel was "linked" to the front brake lever. Easy set up: banjos in tandem and 3 instead of 2 copper washers (one between the banjos obviously) and a larger banjo bolt. The guy said it worked great.

Again, this is something I read somewhere, but I'm no expert.

+2 on pictures, but also if you have diagrams on your wheel location, angles, weight, etc. Would be great.

Also how does it handle? I've seen some wobbling bad as they come to a stop.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Bufallowing wrote:
Easy set up: ...
Maybe not so easy. The pressure from the front master cylinder is set-up for only two calipers. Adding a third line would change the pressure requirements from the master, would it not?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't the pressure remain the same, but the travel on the lever would be longer? (Needing to press the volume of an extra piston).- Just thinking out loud.-

On my 1200 the rear caliper is linked with one of the front. On the right hand lever you only squeeze one of the front rotors. Perhaps you can link yours this way:

Right foot: Rear and one of the fronts. Right hand: One of the fronts and your sidecar wheel.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Here is food for thought............
Could you add another lever and stuff to the handle bars for the side car brakes?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Drum brakes, doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Bufallowing wrote:
Easy set up: ...
Maybe not so easy. The pressure from the front master cylinder is set-up for only two calipers. Adding a third line would change the pressure requirements from the master, would it not?
Contact Jay at www.mysidecar.com. He has bored master cylinders oversized to compensate for this. On the 1500 it is easy, you just replace the front master with one from a GL1800.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Yea, I've read a lot of the hack sites too and there's a bunch of different ways to do it.

On the 1200 it came off of it had a quick disconnect to the bike so the sidecar could be removed and was tied into the rear brake system. I prefer tying it to the front as it has a larger master cylinder reservoir. But that may not be good for me as the 82 has both front brakes linked where as 83 and later are different.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

What kind of a sidecar is it, Mike? Motorvation sells one with a pedal for their cars, but it could be easily adapted.

I'm hoping I have a better photo, but it just fit over the lower mount tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

It's a 97 Hitchhiker. No longer made and I got it on the cheap.

Hey, you got some more pics of the whole hookup? They would be really helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
It's a 97 Hitchhiker. No longer made and I got it on the cheap.

Hey, you got some more pics of the whole hookup? They would be really helpful.
Here is the only other one I can find of the brake. The actually lever is a solid round rod. Number one is the pedal. It is designed to lengthen or shorten as well as to rotate by loosening Number 2.

I had a HitchHiker on my first GL1200. Nice sidecar, but a bit light for a 1200. Should be fine for your 1000. If you used the factory mounts, pay close attention to them. I had a problem with them working loose.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Ok, I give up. What happened to the thread where I posted that I need a new battery for the bike?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.