Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For my own interest I wanted to know what the sidewall of my Formosa looked like in action, this is a 5 minute clip from my 48 minute ride. I'm going to clean up more of the video with more info when the snow comes.
This tire has approx 40,000 km's @ 41 psi, I was scraping my floor boards on some of the corners and actually scraped the camera on one right hander, you can see the camera move & hear the scrape on another clip. I'll admit I was suprised & pleased with what I saw.
I have also included a clip to show the road I"m riding, not much of it is straight.

Old Kingston Road

Sidewall view

And the Tire ..... It's done well & a new one waiting .........

Ride Safe :action::action:

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

Bob it looks like you have used the best of that tire . ( of course its worn out ,it a car tar silly ):ROFL:

I am curious after watching your video of the sidewall . Is there a great bit of wear at the tire bead ? It looks very clean / polished as the sidwall seems to work over the wheel lip/edge . Is it actually wearing away the tire or just keep the rubber clean ?

Now I'll need to have a look at my WS ROF to see if it does that or perhaps the stiffer sidewall doesnt work quite as much at the wheel lip .

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Interesting, Bob. :cool:

I only got 35,185km/21;863mi out of mine, but I suspect the big difference between yours and mine was the temps I was running mine in, where the heat will accelerate/shorten tire wear. Most of the days I was running mine in were 95*F -110*F, never mind what the actualasphalt temps were! . :shock:

Man, this past summer was a hot one south of the border!

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
I am curious after watching your video of the sidewall . Is there a great bit of wear at the tire bead ? It looks very clean / polished as the sidwall seems to work over the wheel lip/edge . Is it actually wearing away the tire or just keep the rubber clean ?
There is actually a little lip at the bead of the tire The only wear is flat across the tread face as you can see. If anything the tread wear inducates perhaps a little higher pressure in the next Formosa since the outer edges are a little smoother, but then I have a couple of favorite roads that are not very straight, this being one of them:?:action::action::action:

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

Excellent view and angle of the camera to dispel any theories about running on the sidewall and shows how much tire is in contact with the road at all times.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'll post a pic of the camera location to show how far over. it was leaning to hit the camera. You can see the muffler above the camera

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

That video provides some very good info. Any chance you could mount the camera in the rear and take a ride showing the tread as it contacts the road?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

That sidewall view just impresses me with how well the Goldwing's suspension system works.

They didn't get the name "Road Sofa" for nothing.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
That video provides some very good info. Any chance you could mount the camera in the rear and take a ride showing the tread as it contacts the road?
I believe That has already been done ( Wexy doin' it)

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Great video. I have the same tire. I have 13,000 on my tire and still have over 60% of my tread life left. I might do another one but I am considering a ROF tire.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You are a little low in that tire's PSI, I would say, Bob. I ran mine @ 48 and it wore pretty evenly.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/G8EboZepqD4&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

I'm sure Rudy has a still shot of my tire somewhere, but you can see it here in this video, when we discovered that the bolt I 'thought' I picked up along my travels, was actually embedded into the tire during it's manufacturing process.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
You are a little low in that tire's PSI, I would say, Bob. I ran mine @ 48 and it wore pretty evenly
Could be Ken, (but I didn't have to accommodate a bolt) :?- @ 41 psi (tire recommendation) I'm not real disappointed, I"ll play with the next one, on my skid pad I run "Max" pressure as I do in all my tires, considering this is carrying less weight than it would on a car and much of my mileage ( km's) is 2 up pulling a trailer I'll increase & see what I think ............. :action::action::action:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.