Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,
I'm interested in the Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module Part #: SIG-01004 for my 2004 GL1800 Lehman trike and CSC Escapade Elite trailer. Signal Dynamics states that this module works with Incandescent Lighting & LED Lighting or a combo of both on their web site.
I would like to know if you or someone you know uses this module with the same type of configuration (below) due to all of my brake lights? "I don't want to blow anything." Your help would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Ray

The following is the same as my setup except mine is a 2004;
Trike Brake Lights: All lighting including the light barare Running/Brake lights)

Trailer Brake Lights: The two lights are exact match as the trike. Spoiler is a LED Brake light.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

No. Six brake light bulbs at 25 watts each. Will be right at 13 amps. The device you are talking about is rated for a max of 10 amps.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi, Thanks for the reply! I just got off the phone with Signal Dynamics in which they stated the same as you did. Their unit will only handle up to four 1157 type bulbs which run at approx. 2.5 amps each. I did some searching and it looks like I'm out of luck with the exception of doing only my trike itself or the trailer itself. Thanks again, Ray

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Why don't you switch over to LEDs? Didn't they say their unit would work with LEDs?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Ray&Paula wrote:
Hi, Thanks for the reply! I just got off the phone with Signal Dynamics in which they stated the same as you did. Their unit will only handle up to four 1157 type bulbs which run at approx. 2.5 amps each. I did some searching and it looks like I'm out of luck with the exception of doing only my trike itself or the trailer itself. Thanks again, Ray
No not out of luck. Both Kuryakyn and Kissan both have very good quality rear brake modulators that will handle the amp loads. You can go to www.wingstuff. com and look at most all of them and make a choice. Or you can go to www.kissan.com and view what they have. A quick check by phone to verify extra load of a trailer would be wise, but most will handle it with out a problem.

The back off units simply are made for the old two bulb bikes or even the one bulb one rear brake light type bikes, not made for the advaced lighting the wings have.
But many products are available for this.

The units designed for the new wings are an easy install also, do not take jumper wires and two hours and an engineering degree in electronics. They are very simple and quick to install and work well.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi, Well after doing a lot of checking around I was told that I "could not" use any of these modules due to the fact that I would be overloading them. I can do them in part if i want to. As for LED's, I'veheard from som fellow wingers that they are not bright enough, although I was under the impression that they were. Thanks to all of you for your input and help. Ray

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Do not believe all you hear about LED lighting. For rear visibility the new generation LED replacement bulbs cannot be excelled. No they do not put out a lot of candlepower but are much more visible and brighter to the human eye.

Now as for running lights and that kind of thing, they are the very worst choice you could make. LED lighting does not produce light to see with, no range, but for sure can be seen better, not sure exactly how to explain that. Kit

LED Brake Light - LED Tail Light - 1157 LED Bulb Replacement - webBikeWorld

I suppose if I wanted a brake light modulator on both the bike and the trailer and as the modules will only handle the bike, this would still not deter me, where there is a will there is a way and I just came up with one.

Put a regular module on the bike, under the seat, and modulate the bike, then run a jump wire ahead of this tie in on the brake line and route it along the original wiring harness to the back of the bike and to the brake light wire to the trailer plug. Now just use another cheaper single module in line on the trailer too. Boost the fuse up to 15 amps.

Might be you should check with others about this, but that is what I would do. Or you can just changed the bulbs, that is the easy way, but the bulbs are not cheap.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:waving:Hi,

Sounds like this will work; Great idea! I have also been thinkig of changing out my lenses like in the following link on the bike and trailer. The clear type lenses would be much brighter and these are made to use the existing incandescent bulbs. With all my lighting this would surely grab better attention. I agree with you in regards to the LED lighting. Straight on they look great, but from angles it's a different story. Thanks for all your help. Ray

http://www.davescyclesupply.com/product_details.php?category_id=78&item_id=846

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.