Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am currently working on an '85 1200 limited edition. I am in the process of finding a possible short and would like to test the SILICON RECTIFIER. Where is this thing located on the bike??!! Any help would be appreciated; especially if that help comes with a picture or two.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

It's a combination voltage sensor, 3 scr's, and the 6 diode bridge. I don't really know of a way to test it, other then substitution. But, it's under the faux tank, about right off to the left of the trip computer. I'm trying to remember, but I think you open the trip meter, and look in there to the left. It's a square blackish heatsink, if it's oem.

What's the problem?

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I found these on E-bay. I aslo found something that looks just like these tied into the wire harness, under the forward edge of the seat on the left side of the bike. When I have time I'm gonna remove and test it. I also found some sites on the web that describe how to test one of these things. I've also seen info on this site that indicates if these malfunction they may set up a situation in which your battery gets drained evein when the ignition switch is off.

·
Administrator
26,186 Posts
imported post

I believe those are what most of us refer to as diodes for the starter system. The manual does call them silicone rectifiers. They have nothing to do with the charging system.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Test the output to the battery with a DC voltmeter. If you get AC ripple or higher readings it could be a sign of AC passing, if voltage is to low could be an open, but in any case what are your readings? Post back and we might be able to tell with enough info.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Google search "testing a gl1200 regulator". Go to the link (third one
down the list on my page) that is the google.books link. Scroll down
to page 196 and read the left column.

This is easier then me trying to type the instructions.

There are others here that might have better links.

Here is a photo of what your regulator will look like.
It is generally located on the left side of the bike near
the air cleaner area. You will have to remove the faux
tank to remove it. However, you probably can test it
without removal of the faux tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

True. With an ohm meter, all of these should read 12 volts.
Nightrider1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.