Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a third near death experience of a person pulling out in front of us (lady said she never saw us), we had our 85' Aspy painted the brightest red the auto store had. So good to go, or so we thought.

So I'm tooling down the ol highway to work and it happened again! A pickup truck pulled out in front of me. Glad I have good brakes and when riding I've started watching their brake lights. He touched his, but at the speed he was going, I knew he was going through the sign.

I came home and discussed it with my wife. We're pleasure riders... we're not into the 1000 miles in one day type riders, we dont like the Harleys and their loud and often being worked on bikes... we love our Goldwing! So I ordered us two High Visibility Green Safety Jackets. They're waterproof and also have the removable liners in them for cold weather. But buddy, they are BRIGHT!!!

Its sort of funny now cause people will sit at an intersection and stare. I've gotten LOTS of thumbs up from police officers and a few bike riders, but very few! Tho they say they can see me from two miles away, they wouldnt wear them.

I talked to a gentleman at my workplace and he said they're commonplace in Europe. My question, is would you wear them? Or do you think I'm being over protective?

·
Just one of the guys
4,832 Posts
it is not possible to be over protective when, in this case, it describes increasing your visibility.

If you live in area with that much of a problem I would also look into a headlight modulator.

I have found that since putting the trike kit on I have had only 1 close encounter and that was when a fellow in a motor home decided to make a lane change while I was passing him. I think the odd shape of the 3 wheels on the ground catches people's eyes more than a bike does.

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
Not only do I have the Hi-vis jacket, I have a Hi-vis helmet. And people still want to pull out in front of me.

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
Lights, really bright lights i.e. HIDs helps tremendously.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Hi Vis is great, and I don't blame you for wearing it. Matter of fact I applaud you! :claps:

Now get a good set of air horns for those who not only don't see you, but they don't care!

I also want to get a tape of tires squealing that I can play really loud..............

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
I have surprisingly few "incidents", and I attribute that to how and where I ride. You know, staying out of the traffic flow and being aware of other's blind spots, etc. But a bright helmet also helps.
As far as you looking silly...well of course you do. But you would look more silly in a hospital bed, so you do what works for you.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
I recently picked up a saftey green vest . I was using an orange one before . I also have headlamp modulator . But more and more idiots are one the cell or texting . Its getting bad . Heck , not long ago I was overtaking a hyabusa on the interstate . I thought that was kind of weird . Well as I went past him wouldnt you know , he was texting with one hand while riding in the fast lane . After i was about half mile ahead he must have finished his text cause he came blowing by me like freight train gone wild .
Well anyhow I think you have made a good choice . God bless and keep you safe .

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Do what makes you feel safest and enjoy the ride, just never drop your guard!
You could paint your bodies dayglow green and ride naked and someone will still say they did not see you!
Heck people pull out in front of firetrucks!!!

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Many people just don't look both ways more than once if they look at all. I try to look both ways 2-3 times or more and I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen a vehicle on the 2nd or 3rd look I don't see before because of something blocking my view or I just didn't see it. So I just assume they will pull out in front of me or just drive right into me as I pass by. I just expect every vehicle out there will run me over if I'm in their way, Pull out in front of me at the last moment, or rear end me when I stop.
ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN, A PLACE TO MOVE OUT OF THE WAY.
These days you can't even pry those phones out of "this newest generation of drivers" hands.

The jacket may help but many people wouldn't see you even if you had a helicopter flying right over you with a spot light on you for safety sake.

Ride safe and pay attention.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Yep, but it's also all the generations not paying attention or playing with phones.

Then there are the times when things just go wrong too!
I came kinda close to biting it in NM. this last trip.
I looked both ways and nothing as I was starting out of a drive, started to pull out and wing stuttered a bit just as I started to look back to left again. That got me off guard a second!
As I looked to the left pulling out a fast moving P/U truck right there!
Was a little curve in the road and I could not see him first time I looked that way.
I hit the brakes hard and all was fine, but it was close enough I bet it startled him also as much as me!

Now that would be a switch I guess, motorcyclist saying " I did not see the truck" LOL

And no I was not pulling my trailer at the time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ride according to a simple rule, " Every Cager is out there driving to kill you" Sorry to say thats the way it is. Hi Vis is great. Safe riding isn't a fashion show. Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
No one would even think to look twice at your hi viz gear, here in the UK, or on mainland Europe. A high proportion of riders now wear them and our dayglo yellow and black jackets don't even get commented on these days, by fellow motorcyclists, many are wearing much the same.

In fact, the only people I am interested in looking twice at my jacket are the car drivers, and I still totally assume they can't see me. :shock:

Texting and making phone calls with phone to the ear is even more common place since it was banned here in the UK than it was before the ban!! :wtf:

I much prefer to be riding outside of towns and cities and even then I keep my wits about me as much as I possibly can.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Hi Vis gear is great and does help. Yes I would wear it. The investment in safety that works best for me is the modulating headlight. But when it comes right down to it and Chromo said it before, some people pull out in front of semi trucks and buses so we still need to ride like we are invisible no matter what we drive.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
With a career of riding on a rescue truck, I say good deal! I have NEVER been to a car vs motorcycle accident where the cager "saw" the biker. I say, if you can find the most brilliant, obnoxious color in the spectrum, go for it! What's uglier? A day-glo jacket, or an orthopedic body cast? You guys go with it, and good on you!!! jimsjinx

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...If you live in area with that much of a problem I would also look into a headlight modulator...
+1... Modulator helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
When I see a possible "X" situation, I'll flick my bright lights on for a second.
Seems lights flashing gets people attention better than any color red I've ever seen.
;)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
When I see a possible "X" situation, I'll flick my bright lights on for a second.
Seems lights flashing gets people attention better than any color red I've ever seen.
;)
Of course doing that in the UK would pretty much sign your death warrant, since flashing your headlights has become the accepted norm for meaning, "you go first" so the car driver would assume you are letting them go or come through if the road narrows to one lane and one way or the other must proceed first. Our highway code still states that all a flash of the lights means is "I am here" but that went out of the window as accepted years ago.
Using the horn button is probably the best way over here to get noticed, but to my mind if you have time to put a blast on the horn or flash your lights, it is not that imminently dangerous a situation you are in. If I have a situation where someone is going to possibly hit me, my focus of attention is to take avoiding action, whatever that may be, not lay down on the horn or lights.
blasting the horn or flashing lights is just something I might do in annoyance at someone who got a bit close to hitting me and since road rage is such a big thing over here, I just don't even bother using either.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
As Silverfox says, flashing a highbeam is a "clear to go" universal signal.
Works here in the states as well, if the driver is informed. Although, I the biggest problem we have here is...drivers are not informed...of anything!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.