Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Iwant one ofthese bags and realize that Kuryakyn no longer makes them. Does anyone on here know where I can still find one? I did a google search and despite many have them listed, not one had them in stock.

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You can buy them at Wingstuff for $54.99

OR .....

for $39.99, I can highly recommend Wingstuff's "House Brand" Trunk Rack Bag, which has a better mounting system (IMHO) and unlike the Kuryakyn bag, will fasten securely to the passenger seat, due to it's fastening system. Great bag, which has a hidden compartment to store the waterproof rain cover. I liked it so much, I have two of them. One for the rack and one for the rear seat.

Here are some detailed shots of it. - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/sets/72157606656153233/with/2751203068/

A Cautionary Note :

Since these bags can hold a fair amount of 'stuff', I would highly advise those considering strapping anything to their racks, to install a set of Rudy's Trunk Lid Reinforcement Panels, before you crack your lid with the increased loads/flexing of the lid with the extra weight on it.Too bad he hadn'tgotten these reinforcement panels into production, before I cracked my lid! :gunhead:
Very easy installation, that adds a lot of rigidity/support to your lid, beneath the rack mounting points.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I think he is looking for the SILVER/GREY coloured one :smiler::raspberry::raspberry:

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I am in fact looking for the silver/grey one. That being said, I have to admit Dusty again posted a brilliant description of a bag that seem to work for him (and thereby would more than likely work for me). My next question is; Is your bag somewhat larger than the Kuryakyn bag Dusty? The color is not a do or die for me, it would just match better...

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Wexy ... The bag in the top photo of my previous post,is their current silver and black bag, but is rather hard to distinguish with their shot of it. (poor lighting) :raspberry: :ROFL::ROFL:

Kimswang, yes I believe it is slightly larger than the Kuryakyn bag. It/they will hold a lot of stuff and has proven to be a very durable/reliable bag over the years and many, many miles.

I used oneon this past summer's 3 month tour, along with a custom made 'gear bag' that I designed and had made for me.

The trunk bag held my heated jacket liner, my mesh jacket's rainproof liner, 10 cartons of cigarettes, my fleece sleeping bag liner, my inflatable pillow and fleece pillow cover, road atlas, spare fuel cartridges, along with a few other things in the main compartment, with room to spare. I had my spare rechargeable batteries/battery charger in the one small front pocket and my candle lantern/spare candles in the other.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Dusty, those pictures just makes me wanna load up and go.... Love them all...

I think Key West tomorrow as a colder weather is to be found north, despite the plan was to visit the museum in Leeds, AL.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Jeez Dusty - such nice pictures. With winter coming on here it sure makes me miss that nice summer weather (already!) and think forward to next years vacation road trip.

Kimswang - I just happened to luck into a used silver Kuryakyn rack bag like you're looking for this summer. Bought it, and a few other Goldwing goodies off a guy that sold his GL1800 to buy a Harley (really!). Nice bag - works well.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
imported post

Here is the same bag that Dusty mentions he has, I too purchased the same bag but ran across the same bag a couple of dollars cheaper here:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Rack-Luggage-Bag-Rain-Cover-/130440713000?hash=item1e5edf5328&item=130440713000&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Rather than utilize the same configuration for the passenger seat I chose this luggage. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-SISSY-T-BAR-BAGS-BAG-TRAVEL-LUGGAGE-ALL-NEW-/290432414462?hash=item439f1ef2fe&item=290432414462&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

This comes with quick detach straps to secure to the bike seat. It can be used as luggage for carry on, back packing or back rest, comes with rain cover and roll bag.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks again guys, the bag looks great and has room for my tent, two sleeping bags, and my rain gear. Looks like very good quality and the fit is perfect.

Kim !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

And then I found a silver bag on E-Bay for $19,-.... Good to have two bags I guess....

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I don't know what brand/make/type you picked up for the 2nd bag, but if you gotthe one I linked to as your 1st bag, then it can be strapped down on the passenger seat,while your new bag can go on the rack if it has a different mounting system. ;)

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
I don't know what brand/make/type you picked up for the 2nd bag, but if you gotthe one I linked to as your 1st bag, then it can be strapped down on the passenger seat,while your new bag can go on the rack if it has a different mounting system. ;)

Dusty
My second bag is the Kuryakyn silver bag like I wanted, found it on E-Bay for $19,- soI couldn't pass it up as it is brand new in box. The bag I did get was from your link and I think both will serve me well. Thanks again for sharing, and thanks again for posting "motivational" pictures from your excursions.

Kim !

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I used the Wingstuff house brand bag for my last 4,000 mile ride through the southwest. Due to the weight concerns, I mostly packed my sleeping bag and a goose down blanket.

I really enjoyed using the rear hitch rack to carry my cooler and portable kitchen.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Jeeze Larry .... you sure got her loaded down for just a 2 week trip! :shock:

Always interesting to see how and whatpeople pack their bikes for trips.

Just wondering what constitutes your 'portable kitchen', Larry?

Here's what I used to carry (contained in the blue foam 'cozy' I made for it)

This past summer, I expanded it to include a Grilliput portable grill and a SS vegetable steamer (to hold the briquettes for it) to expand my dietary/culinary 'options' while on the road.

My complete 'Portable Kitchen' consists of the following;

Rear L>R - 1.1L pot with lid (fits both pots), 500ml pot, Snow Peak Giga Stove, 250g Giga Power fuel canister, bandanna, plastic bowl
Middle Row L>R - Cozy, Outdoor Research Hikers Kitchen Kit, cozy lid, stove wind screen, vegetable steamer
Front - Grilliput portable grill

The only thing that's missing is my SS plate and insulated mug.

This is what it looks like packed up and then stowed away in it's carrying bag ...

This is what my bike looked like packed for my 3 month tour which saw temps ranging for the mid 30s, to over 110*

and my 'typical' camp. ....

Sorry for the hijack, but the way people pack their bikes for trips, fascinates me. :cool:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Sorry for the hijack, but the way people pack their bikes for trips, fascinates me. :cool:

Dusty

Do not feel sorry, your experience and your ability to share your experiencesfascinates me.

Kim

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

When I find my camera..... I will post some pictures of my portable kitchen. I got home and I have been hijacked by my girl friend for Christmas duties and I have not completely unpacked.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Jeeze Larry .... you sure got her loaded down for just a 2 week trip! :shock:

Always interesting to see how and whatpeople pack their bikes for trips.

Just wondering what constitutes your 'portable kitchen', Larry?

Here's what I used to carry (contained in the blue foam 'cozy' I made for it)

This past summer, I expanded it to include a Grilliput portable grill and a SS vegetable steamer (to hold the briquettes for it) to expand my dietary/culinary 'options' while on the road.

My complete 'Portable Kitchen' consists of the following;

Rear L>R - 1.1L pot with lid (fits both pots), 500ml pot, Snow Peak Giga Stove, 250g Giga Power fuel canister, bandanna, plastic bowl
Middle Row L>R - Cozy, Outdoor Research Hikers Kitchen Kit, cozy lid, stove wind screen, vegetable steamer
Front - Grilliput portable grill

The only thing that's missing is my SS plate and insulated mug.

This is what it looks like packed up and then stowed away in it's carrying bag ...

This is what my bike looked like packed for my 3 month tour which saw temps ranging for the mid 30s, to over 110*

and my 'typical' camp. ....

Dusty
Dusty,

I found my camera. You asked about my "camp kitchen."

It starts as the container is a camp sink. It will hold water and has some side strainers for drying dishes.

I use a Jetboil stove, the companion cup, the 1.5 liter pot and the french press. I also carry a Melita coffee filter and I vacuum pack enough coffee at home prior to the trip. A few Mountain House freeze dried meals and some hot chocolate and instant oatmeal.

Please note that all of my containers are packed loosely. I leave plenty of room for additions or subtractions. For example, the Kurkeyan Bag that I use as a back rest carries nothing but my outer gear.... coats, gloves, electric gear and Frog Toggs. Nothing else. If it gets so warm that I am riding in shorts and a tee shirt, all of my outer gear will fit in the Kurkeyan Bag. The gear bag below it, only has my cot and my folding chair. Ample room for additions if I chose to add.

Also, my bike is an Interstate, which weighs 65 lbs less than yours with the same total weight capabilities.

I was on the road for 2.5 weeks, but I could have been on the road for 3 months.

Here is a picture of my camp kitchen, which rides immediately behind the Coke Cooler on the rear hitch rack.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.