Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Replaced both of these lights on Mar 23/11 @ 90300 K.M. So I got 16 months service...

1 went on me today heading to N5. Bike now has 138,000 KM on it..

Have they been good to me? I guess I will have to replace both when I get to Eureka Springs...Just wondering if I should go with the same Breed.

Anyone care to comment?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Go to Harbor Freight. H4 bulbs for $8 ea and members have gotten greater results than that and are very bright. Ask Chromo there at N5.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

That's why I have never switched to them, Bob. I can't see paying $60 for bulbs that havesuch ashort life span!! :gunhead:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The packsge even shows a shorter bulb hours life span on the silverstars compaired to their regular bulbs. More light, less life.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I run the Silverstars. (Not Ultra), and so far, so good.

I like the added brightness, but now I'm curious about what Harbor Freight has.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Go to Harbor Freight. H4 bulbs for $8 ea and members have gotten greater results than that and are very bright. Ask Chromo there at N5.
Will see if I can get some while on the way to N5.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

I use the HF ones in both my vehicles and carry a spare,they work very good.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

I have had the Ultras installed on my 97' SE for three years, 27,000 km and they have not burnt out yet. Just watch one of them go this week !

I run on high beam during the day and then low later in the day or at night. I have them on three of my vehicles.

I was worried about the lifetime of the bulbs but you should be replacing them every 3 or 4 years anyway because of light degradation.

I like the bright light they provide and will continue to buy them.

·
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hodgy wrote:

I have had the Ultras installed on my 97' SE for three years, 27,000 km and they have not burnt out yet. Just watch one of them go this week !

I run on high beam during the day and then low later in the day or at night. I have them on three of my vehicles.

I was worried about the lifetime of the bulbs but you should be replacing them every 3 or 4 years anyway because of light degradation.

I like the bright light they provide and will continue to buy them.

Mine worked great also..But I hit one heck of a bump heading through Michigan on way to N5..That may have been the knockout punch on that Bulb..Those Michigan roads are brutal...

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I have had one go out. Replaced both just in case the other decided to go out. Think I got about three years out that one. The current ones have been in about a year and a half now. Brand is Sylvania Silverstars. Road out to a friend of mine's place last summer and got there in the dark. He lives out in the country and when I turned into the drive commented on how bright they were.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,235 Posts
imported post

The potential shorter life is why I use regular Silverstars, or similar. Xtravisions are very good also and only run $19 a pair at Wally-World.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Mine is a '94 SE, I've been reading many posts here about upgrading the headlight. For now, I've decided to go with halogen, but I'm confused as to exactly what I need to do to replace both high and low beam. Are there actually TWO H4 bulbs, one for high and one for low beam, and if so, are they the same wattage? I've looked at all of the posts on the forum that I could find regarding the upgrade but never saw a real clear cut answer. Your help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

if you do lots of night riding the brighter ones are good and more expensive too...but the cheapies work for me...and some last a long time

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

kenpetty wrote:
Mine is a '94 SE, I've been reading many posts here about upgrading the headlight. For now, I've decided to go with halogen, but I'm confused as to exactly what I need to do to replace both high and low beam. Are there actually TWO H4 bulbs, one for high and one for low beam, and if so, are they the same wattage? I've looked at all of the posts on the forum that I could find regarding the upgrade but never saw a real clear cut answer. Your help is appreciated.
H4 bulbs have a high and a low filament in the one bulb, only the 1800 with H7 bulbs are single filament thus a separate bulb for high and low beam. the 1500 has two headlight bulbs and so you have two H4's in there of some make or another.

I was running those Silverstars and was very pleased with the extra visibility on the 1500, a remarkable transformation, but I have found over the years that they last less time than a stock bulb. that said, we can buy them for about £8.95 for a pair in the UK, so providing you don't mind the agro of changing them, the extra light is a real benefit.
The 1800 lights are so good, I have now gone back to using stock bulbs. Easy to change the low beam, not so easy to do the high beam.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the reply, that's part of the answer I was looking for. I now at least know to buy two. Would you advise to upgrade the wattage with the standard charging system or not? I believe the OEM bulbs are 45w. Again, thanks.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

I upgraded to a higher wattage but I have a Compufire alternator so the extra wattage is no problem. I get mine at Walmart. While pastoring in MI I was at the state GWRRA Rally and bought the converters for the light sockets on my 98 Aspy. That was in 2001 I believe and I just had one go out several months ago. I bought the replacements at Walmart and they are doing fine. Ten plus years and I did a lot of night ridding in MI living in Alpena on the East cost of Lake Huron made for some beautiful rides. ChrisChrme carries the adapters I refered to. Here is the page with them on it.

http://www.chrischrome.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1291

This is what the converters look like. They come as a set so you only need to get one set. Yes the roads in MI can give you some awful jars you have to be alert to see those potholes.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

For anyone wanting to or needing to replace headlight bulbs in a 1500, I just did it. I'm moderately mechanically inclined, and with Steve's pictures/instructions, it was super simple. It took me a couple of hours only because I spent about an hour and a half cleaning the headlight assembly as well as the area on the bike where it was mounted. I would venture a guess that with NO mechanical ability it could be done easily in an hour. Kudos again to Steve and his instructions/pictures. What a guy!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.