Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I'm attempting to remove the side reflectors from the trunk so I could add the 3 lights to each. This is the 88 1500 w/ 152 orig. miles. Trunk is spotless. No rust on nut/bolts.

Well, only 1 of the reflector castle nuts will come off. The other 3 just spin and spin as if the bolt is spinning from the reflector body.

Any suggestions how to attack this dilemma? I also plan to add the wires to have the reflectors alternate with the turn signals. Thanks in advance. I'll check for suggestions after I cut the grass.

psu

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Use a Dremal Cut-off Wheel to grind off the nut (but not damaging the threaded stud it sits on)... work slowly, so as to not overheat the metal and melt the adjacent plastic.

Once removed, then use JB-Weld to Bond the stud onto the light fixture, so that it does not spin during re-installation.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Be VERY careful about not getting the nut hot. The ABS plastic the trunk is made of melts REAL easy. I had to do something similar, and I kept a spray bottle of water in one hand and the Dremel in the other to keep it cooled down.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well, I used the Dremel to get the one nut off. Bolt got pretty beat up and also took a long time. I was able to rethread the bolt and find a castle nut w/ nylon insert which was able tighten enough.

After installation of the 1 side I thought I could be able to remove the plugs and insert the lights without removing the reflector. This worked well and was done quickly. The alternating flashers was just a matter of plug and play with the wires at the same location. All complete. Thanks again!

psu

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

well done for resolving the issue and thanks for reporting back as to how you got on. :claps:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.