Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Road 80 miles to Vegas took front wheel off and took it in to have a new tire put on, put wheel back on bike (didn't touch front brake while wheel was off) and on the way home the "Brake Pads" started rubbing bad all the way home?!

Thought it got some Vegas sand in there,

Sprayed break cleaner in it , didn't help?!

Wheel seems to be on right , not to the left or right as far as I can see!

After I put it on and spun it , it spun great with normal amount of brake drag?

Whyare the front pads rubbing after putting a new tire on (it's the right size)?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Try loosening up the the 2 cap bolts and the main axel nut slightly and then spinning the wheel. Once the wheel self-centers itself, and quits rubbing, then tighten down the axel nut and snug up the end caps. You will get some slight rubbing sound, even if your calipers release completely.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hi Sam,

I had a similar experience, but my noise turned out to be somethingbesides brakes. It could be two things, in my short experience with my 1100:

1. Under the fender, near the fork mount, there are rubber water guides to either side. Not sure, exactly, what they do, but mine rubbed the little "nipply" things on the new tire.

2. The other thing is that when putting the tire back on, your forks may have bowed out or in. causing the brake caliper mounting bracket to slightly drag the rotor. THere has to be a .7 mm clearnce between the inside of the rotor and the edge of the caliper. If not, "flex" the fork in or out to get that distance, then tighten your axle pinch bolts.

Hope you get it worked out,

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Make sure that your caliper mountsare not rubbing on the discs. Like Jack said, one of the steps for installing the front wheel on the early wings, is to use a feeler gauge to measure the clearance between the openings in the calipers and the discs. If there's not enough clearance, the forks can be pushed slightly apart before tightening the bottom caps.

When tightening the caps, make sure the arrows are pointing forward and that the bolts are tighened in the correct sequence. I know on the GL1000 that the forward cap nuts are tightened first, followed by the rear.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Caliper dragging? Try removing it, running the piston in with a C-clamp and reinstalling it then pumping the brake lever to reseat the pads. Might have stirred up som junk in the caliper when removing it? Old cycles can be bad for sticking calipers.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
When tightening the caps, make sure the arrows are pointing forward and that the bolts are tighened in the correct sequence. I know on the GL1000 that the forward cap nuts are tightened first, followed by the rear.
Same with the 1100s, the front is tightened first, the rear last. Can't recall the torque settings right off....but can look 'em up if needed.

Jack

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks guys,

You're what makes this site the best one out there!

I'm going to take a look at the wheel right now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.