311 Posts
imported post

Put dry ice in there!:shock::shock::shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I think dry ice is CO2, dont think it'd be a good idea to pump that into the tent. Still as compared to a lower priced $475 ac. A bag of ice or 2 is cheap to sleep comfortable for the night. And a good cooler can keep ice for at least 8 hours, my igloo can. Might get cool air for 6-8 hours off a jump start booster battery. Still a neat idea.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

gotta love the wing wrote:
That looks like it would work on a side car too. American ingenuity at it's best.
Fit into the sidecar's trunk and duct it into the cab!!

I've gotta try this. I've got some squirrel cage blowers in an old VW van behind the house I can pull and build one of these! Been wanting a Power jump pack for a while now anyways.

·
Just one of the guys
4,814 Posts
imported post

Seems I read on a forum somewhere someone had made a small version of this to put on the rear carrier. His Wife had a problem where she couldn't abide the heat and he used this as a solution. He used a thin, flexible hose to carry the cool air up into her jacket.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

DougW wrote:
Seems I read on a forum somewhere someone had made a small version of this to put on the rear carrier. His Wife had a problem where she couldn't abide the heat and he used this as a solution. He used a thin, flexible hose to carry the cool air up into her jacket.
82gl1100wingman in Ft. Worth, Texas could use something like this for his wife big time.
She has MS and can't take the heat hardly at all. She has to wear cooling packs when they go for a ride and the temps are high.

She also rides in a sidecar as she can't sit up on the bike well.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

And I thought I'd seen every little ******* thing. :D

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Thanks Micheal for the heads up on this thread. I may try building it. This is what Carol uses. It pumps cold water around her body to pull the heat away to get the body core temp down. It is a 12 volt system thatcan run off12 AA batteries.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

YOu could definately adapt it to a smaller cooler and use a computer fan or something in that range and place a 1" flexible tube for person use. Small cooler may not hold the ice as long before melting but then theres plenty of stores around with $1 bag of ice. Ice packs will last 20%-30% longer than ice and is less messy. JR

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

It will be interesting to hear from somebody who tries it and can provide some numbers i.e. how much cooler is the inside of the tent than the outside.

If you figure that a small room air conditioner is about 4000 BTU and just for argument say that about 2000 BTU would be needed to cool a tent (remember the tent has about zero insulation value). One pound of ice can absorb about 180 BTU of heat in the process of melting and warming up to 70 degrees. Then 20 pounds of ice in a cooler could absorb 3600 BTU. So the bottom line is that you would have to refill the cooler every 2 hours or so, in theory.

There is lots of info on this if you Google "ice btu". Many people have tried this same idea by freezing tons of water in the winter and then using it to cool the house in summer.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
imported post

Gofastandfalldown wrote:
There is lots of info on this if you Google "ice btu". Many people have tried this same idea by freezing tons of water in the winter and then using it to cool the house in summer.
Many air conditioners are rated in tons for this reason. They are based on ancient equivalents of the amount of ice needed to provide the cooling.

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
imported post

Nothing new here (really). I've used 'swamp coolers' most of my life. last one I built I used glass fiber filter and a recirculating pump that pumped the coldest 'melt' water from the bottom and trickled it down the filter (screen) and the squirrel cage blower drew air through a vent at the bottom blew it across the ice and through the damp screen. Of course those were all 120 volt units but same principle for the 12 volt unit.
Richard

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I actually rigged a swamp cooler up on the first dredge I ever ran. Used a radiator from an old Detroit 671 that had run a generator mounted in the back wall of the pilot house, fed it with from the jet pump, the sump was 12' below surface, the water stayed between 50 and 65 degrees at that depth during the summer, and hung a 20" box fan in front of the radiator inside to draw air through it.

Worked reasonably well, and didn't cost my boss a thing

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
I think dry ice is CO2, dont think it'd be a good idea to pump that into the tent.
I was kidding!!! To make the ice last longer Make the ice into blocks or try to buy it in blocks. Will last almost twice as long.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
imported post

I prefer Wet Ice :waving: with salt.

Cooler that way (for a little while) :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I got a few of the old 52 quart coolers around I may cut a hole in one and stick a 90 degree pvc pipe in. Keep the beers and cola's cold while cooling down the tent. I think I'll just cut a hole in the lid and do away with the 1" corning insulation. You can find those big coolers at garage sales cheap,thats where I got all these from around here. A fan from walmart and $2-$3 pvc to cool down is cheap and your keeping your liquids cold too. It wont be taking up anymore space. I'll toss in some of the gel freezer blocks and that'll give a little more cold time until its time to stop at a store and grab a bag of ice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.