Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I got some great advice on this board last time about how to hook up the power on my Zumo 550 to my '97 GL1500 Aspencade, which I readily implemented and expressed my deep thanks about. It works great. I'm now ready to take my Zumo 550 connection to the next step, and would sincerely appreciate any advice here again.

I just spent half a day converting my iTunes music into MP3's and shoving them into the Zumo (total time 4.5 hours). So, I want to be able to listen to the MP3's through the front and back console deck speakers, with volume controlled by the regular built-in radio knob.

Now, I don't use or want bluetooth, I don't use or want headsets, and I don't care about the satellite receiver. I just want to play simple MP's through the 550, and adjust volume using the radio knob, and I'll be a happy camper. Everyone keeps pointing me to expensive wiring harness solutions, and I can't believe that is what I really need. Or is it? I went to the local Honda dealer today, and he said I had to buy a $350 J&M "zumo everything" GPS harness, plus $120 for some additional cable as well. Is there a cheaper, simpler audio hookup out there? As much detail as possible is appreciated - what do I buy, how should I hook it up? (P.S. - I don't have one of those mythical left pocket Aux jacks you newer Goldwing owners have.)

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

the jumo 550 has an audio output jack, its located under a rubber side protector, the quickest and i think the best way to connect it is with a audio cassette adapter, they are designe dto allow you to put a protable dvd player and play it through the cassette deck, but works just as well here, it simply pops in the cassette and the flying lead connects to the audio output of the jumo, i have a similar set up on my 1800 but mines connected to the mythecal audio aux connector in the left pocket

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Good info - thanks! Doesn't that leave the cassette door open though with a wire coming out of it exposed to the elements?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Great scoop. Never would have thought of an inline FM modulator. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

HAVE QUESTION on this:
Sierra advertises an, I believe: $99.00[+ $15.00 shipping in lower 48 only] modification to GL1500 radio, by which a connector cord for MP3 player is installed, along with circuit on-off switch in radio face plate. Am not sure, but I believe this might be controlled thru radio volume knob. Maybe someone here has had this mod done to their 1500s radio and can enlighten us. Am very curious, as was planning on having this done on our Wing this winter. TTFN.....Old Tom

P.S. Sierra site/item: www.sierra-mc.com/auxiliaryinput.asp

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

To papasmurf, I haven't had the mod, but would think the answer is about a 99% chance of yes, as it is implied in their sentence that the switch they add "allows you to switch from your am/fm, cassette radio to your audio source that you have plugged into the audio input." If the radio volume knob didn't control it, there would be no other real way to do it to the bike's speakers, and the mod wouldn't make much sense. One sure way to know is to email them at [email protected]

Regarding my original post, thanks everyone very much on this. I went out this evening and bought aRadio Shack audio cassette adapter for $23, and it works fine. I will try this solution for the rest of this summer and fall. In the winter as a project, I might pull the radio unit and go with the Sierra modification if the sound isn't up to par or the visible wire drives me nuts. I'll pull a few pieces of the body molding to see if I can get the wire to not exit the side cassette door, but go down and under and exit near the fork. All your advice really helped and I'm very glad I didn't let the Honda dealer talk me into a $350 wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

I recently did the FM modulator install on my 95 Aspy and here are my thoughts. It only takes about 1 hour and costs less than $25 with the shipping but I found one weak point in that you must also purchase a lead wire with RCA stereo jacks on one end and the 1/8" pin jack on the other which goes directly into the MP3. They suggest you keep this as short as possible but all I was able to find was a 6' which believe it or not, after hiding all of that wire is only about a foot to long. The problem is that that lead wire is the size of lamp cord and robs plenty of db's from the MP3. What I need to find is a 5' or 6' lead wire that is the size of ear bud wire or just a little bit heavier. Because of this heavy wire, I had to purchase an inline amp to amplify the signal from the MP3. It's coming from China on a very slow boat and will arrive sometime this week. If anyone knows where I can find such a small diameter or gauge lead wire, I would very much appreciate the link.

Respectfully,

Ed

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I'm curious....what inline amp did you choose, and where did you get it from?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

It's coming directly from China.

http://www.virtualvillage.com/hi-fi-headphone-amplifier-for-mp3/sku006004-025

The beauty of this unit is that it has it's own lithium rechargeable power supply that lasts for 70 to 80 hours. The downfall is that it's going to take a while to get here. I will let you know how it performs when it arrives. During the wait, I think I've found a smaller gauged patch cord with RCA jacks to 1/8" pin jack (Google). I may try that out also. Why use the power if you don't have to.

Respectfully,

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Im afraid that Ed1955's amplifier is not needed as the radio itself has an amplifier, and this chinese item will only reduce the audio quality of your mp3 player. also i dont think you should use amplified sources on an fm modulator, it will reduce its power to inject the signal through fm anyway.
if you use the right wiring for this, consult the web page i posted at the beginning of the topic for radioshacks part numbers

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

With all due respect, I fully understand that the radio has an amp but the amp in the radio isonly part ofthe issue. The problem is that I can't get the volume out of the MP3 going through the modulator and the only reason I can see is that the RCA lead patch cord from the modulator to the MP3 has wire the size of lamp cord, way to heavy and it's simply robbing db's. I'm no electronic engineer but know that when running anykind of speaker wires or signal carrying patch cords, the heavier the gauge, the less the power/signal that arrives at the other end. I've proven this with dbmeters testing different gauge wires on multiple stereo systems.

At this point, I felt I had two options, reduce the wire gauge from the RCA's to the MP3 or amplify the signal. I may actually do both. Believe me, I followed the instructions on this site to a T and the problem is that the patch cord wire gauge is to heavy and robbing signal. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't received the amp yet to try the system but all I know is that I can hardly hear the MP3 over 50 mph. Frankly, in my opinion the amp in the radio is way underpowered also. At speeds anything over 65 I usually shut the radio off because by increasing the volume high enough to hear the stereo it only results in massive distortion. I've even changed out the four factory speakers to the J&M's and although they help a little, the problem is wind noise and lack of a quality amp in the sound system. The bottom line is that the stereo in my Aspy is 15 years old and is 15 year old technology. Today you can purchase an aftermarket 250 watt amp from Chrome World for the 1800 only. This system comes with four new high power speakers, the amp and even an outlet for a Bazooka Base Tube for the trunk. Now that is a worthy modification that will stand up to wind noise. What can I say, I'm a Slave to the Rhythm!

Respectfully,

Ed

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

Ed,
Your theory on wire size is backward. Think of the wire size like water pipe, big pipe lots of water, small pipe little water. Ohms law E=I*R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.