Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1468 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of the last to buy a conversion kit from Cycle nonvention. I tryed for a few weeks with their tech-supportbefore they dis-connected their phone and stopped answering their e-mails. I worked with it for 3 months last summer along with Holley Carburetor tech support. It runs ok on the highway, and starts immediatly! I just wish I could get the idle to work right. My mechanic friends suspect I may have recieved a faulty carb from Cycle Inv.... .

I did find out the carburetor was designed for 1960's Ford Falcon and Mustang. The minimum of 140 cubic inches. Well my little ASPENCADEdoes her best to breath right. When you sit at a traffic light for a short time the idle starts to load up. I have thought of trying to find a Carburetor for a smaller application.

Any Ideas,or experience with this??

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I checked this out before on the BackYard site. Lots of people using the CI carb but it always seems that guys have to compromise and fiddle with it to get the best from it. Rarely seems to be plug & play after spending all that money.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Brian

Some of those guys have fabbed thier own manifold and carb outfits.I heard all the stories too and felt the stock set up works for me. Probally why CI pulled the plug. I have not heard anyone say their CI work better than stock, but they bring big bucks on ebay tho. Good luck

Bill

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Now thats way better than stock carbs! Im ready to tear the efi out of my wife's chevy metro but she would tear out some of my parts......

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

pj_oldwing wrote:
I did find out the carburetor was designed for 1960's Ford Falcon and Mustang. The minimum of 140 cubic inches. Well my little ASPENCADEdoes her best to breath right. When you sit at a traffic light for a short time the idle starts to load up. I have thought of trying to find a Carburetor for a smaller application.

Any Ideas,or experience with this??

Experience with fuel system design, yes. It makes no difference what the size of the original engine is. 140 CID = 2295 cm^3 but that is meaningless. Carburetors have no way of knowing what size engine theyre on, they. Fuel metering is controlled by air flow, not cubic inches.

That carb could care less whether its on a 1200 cm^3 engine wide open or a 2295 cm^3 engine half shut down. It spits out fuel based on airflow and nothing else.

Yes, put a single motorcycle carb on a large V-8 and its not gonna work, because the engines airflow is much more than the carb can supply, but the opposite is not necessarily true. Put a small carb on a large engine and the AFR goes rich. Vice versa, it goes lean.

What was done to properly design the intake manifold? This sort of thing (half baked motorcycle concept) usually goes something like "manifold volume too large and too cold so the fuel distribution is poor. That will kill idle quality faster than anything.

I put a Holley racing carb on a 1200 (List 4779 square bore racing carb) and "they" said "it wont work, its way too big for the engine".Proves "they" havent a clue what theyre talking about as the 4779 has slightly smaller bores than the throats of the Honda carbs plus there are distribution problems that the single carbs dont have to deal with.

I wish"they" would leave the old wives tales to the old wives!:gunhead:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

The problem with using a carb that is too large for the engine is that it causes low throttle opening problems. Translated, that means if the carb is too big a slight amount of throttle opening will give a big increase in acceleration, rather than a smooth transition you would get with a properly sized carb.

For all out racing you can never have too much carb if you can make the engine flow and burn all the air and fuel that it receives, but, that takes big camshafts, valves and high RPM along with exhaust extraction or supercharging.

For street use, properly sized caburation is very important for driveability and fuel economy. One of the guys at: http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltGoldwingsBarGrille/messages.msnw

is experimenting with single carb manifolds and has come up with one that dramatically improves low and mid range performance on the GL1100 dramatically. He is also working on a dual carb setup that has crossover runners from one side of the bike to the other. The long, small diameter,runners speed up air flow and help fuel air mixing and with a coolant heating system under the plenums it should be a real tire burner for bottom end torque.

If you havean interest in the DIY performance/customization of Gold Wings you would do well to check out that site.

Vic

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I'd be interested to see where the EFI topic leads. Sure would be nice if EFI could be adapted to the GL1500 as well.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

i fabricated a stainless steel manifold and used a weber carb.

ran great. in the uk you have to inform your insurance company that you have changed the fuel system away from manufacturers spec and then they say NO NO nO

we dont want to insure you anymore.

regards all

walt

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

waltlees wrote:
i fabricated a stainless steel manifold and used a weber carb.

ran great. in the uk you have to inform your insurance company that you have changed the fuel system away from manufacturers spec and then they say NO NO nO

we dont want to insure you anymore.

regards all

walt
I wouldn't bother telling them Walt. Do you have pictures of the new setup and details please? Loads of questions spring to mind, like how does it idle andperform at different speeds, fuel consumption...

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Converting the four carbs to a single barrel weber carb

I know I have been curious about this for a couple of years and today on ebay I came across one with a website link and a movie showing the acceleration.

I am curious if anyone has one and what their experience is with one. Pardon me if there is a thread somewhere about this topic but I couldn't find it.

The movie looks like it accelerates fine but I wonder about idle and fuel economy too.

Here's the link:

http://www.hlgroup2000.com/

just go to the website and click on the movie link at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

I have a 2 barrel weber on my 77 GL1000.It idles wonderfully afte a decent warmup.Fuel mileage believe it or not is the same as my 75 with stockers.Its no better but no worse.I originally posted that i was using 32/36 but they are 28/30.Acceleration is a bit more brisk than the stockers.I have only taken it to 80 and havent really had to get into the secondary.All and all the setup really works great.Starts right up on full choke 10 seconds and half choke then just use the cruise contol to hold it at 1500 rpm with no choke.7 to 8 minute like that and it idles beautifully at a consistant 800 rpm.Your results may vary.
I just got lucky with mine.It was already jetted in correctly.Obviously the previous user of my setup worked out the jetting.#115 main jet on primary and #105 on the secondary.
The website you link to is new to me.I would communicate with that person and get the skinny of what he's selling and pick his brain before jumping to a single weber.Im not saying its bad or good.I just hate to see you make a mistake with an unknown seller.There seems to be a lot missing technically from the website as well and the process to make the setup and it just seems vague even a cd is added with the kit.Maybe wait on this one for a bit.

Good luck,
Flatfour

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Thanks for responding so quickly. I'm glad someone with converted bike responded.

So you are happy with your two barrel carb setup? Great! The link on the website is for a single barrel weber. I wonder how much difference it makes between singles and doubles.

WoW you have to idle that long to get your bike warmed up? Interesting.

Hey we both live in Seattle! I would love to see your carb... Maybe a cup of Starbucks is in our near future.
give me an email off the board. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

There are Starbucks in Seattle?Not on my street(yet)

My setup will run perfectly without using the secondary.So there's no reason why a single carb wouldn't work.The long warmup is something im trying to work out.Im making an effort to ride it without any choke.My 75, I ride off after a 5 minute warmup.Not really a huge difference in warmup times.My setup is plagued by condensation building at the manifold and the long intake runners at startup.Im working through a heat exchange idea to heat the affected intakes and manifold.I dont want it to look like a hacker had his way with it.Its going to look good, as though it was meant to be there.
It's taking longer to work it out as weekends are the only time I can tinker with it.The bike sat for a while so a few issues have been addressed.Now the bike is ready to get the carbs dealt with.
Just today I was told by a long time goldwing owner to go back to the stock carbs.Well maybe someday!But for now, for my own edification the goal is to stay the course.

We will do that coffee perhaps the weekend after next.I really should have been riding more this season instead of reviving an old wing.Sometimes we can get too focused on a project.The reward for diligence is having a pair of reliable old hondas that fire up and can be ridden without issue from coast to coast.

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

If you are every in the great smokey mountain national
park, I will show you my 2 1100,s that has been running
VW,s for three years.

Never will go back to 4's'

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

LD Wingnut, you're running Volks Wagen carbs on your GL1100s?? Wow, that's really interesting. Did you DIY or was it a kit? Whats your acceleration like? Does it still have power going up the mountains? We have a lot of those out here in Washington too. {Been over 7000 feet many times] Whats your fuel MPG like? Would you recommend them over the standard 4 carb setup? Do you have any pics?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

I am a new member, have 4 post but not ok to adv. yet.

will let you know something,as soon I can.

1 - 20 of 1468 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.