Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to sort out the carbs on my friend's GL1000 1976. #2 wasn't giving any fuel/air mixture at idle and the idle mixture screw had no effect at all. The other carbs are getting adequate air fuel mixture to the cylinders as measured with an infared thermometer at the exhaust head pipes. Some one had been into these carbs as each bowl was held on with three different kinds of screws. I removed the carb set and investigated #2 to find that the low speed jet, under the rubber plug, could not be removed, it just turned with a small screwdriver. The hole for the jet seems 'grainy' or 'crumbly' as in deterorating.
I used WD-40 and air pressure to blow through the low speed circuit. I'm hesitating about reinstalling the set without your advise.
What do you think about the single carb conversions?
Bill:praying:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
... The hole for the jet seems 'grainy' or 'crumbly' as in deterorating.
Bill:praying:
No amount of rebuild kit will replace lost metal in those circuits.
Toss the carb body and search for another one. Might want to search fpr another rack altogether.

In general, if one has a oxidation problem to the extent of losing metal then there's a strong possibility that others will follow suit once alcohol is introduced and then continually run through the carburetors, such as E-10 has been known to do.
Been my experience.

Single carburetor conversions are a perfect alternative (assuming the conversion is a quality one).
Personally, I don't like seeing the avenue approached out of desperation though.
A thoughtful approach to this choice needs to be taken, ..in my opinion. Would be wise to ask and learn as much as you can on this subject. Not all conversions are the same.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
single carb

Thanks for the reply. I've been rebuilding carbs for some 40 years and have seen carbs in all kinds of conditions but nothing like whats happening to them with current alcohol enriched gas.
Bill

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
single carb conversion when done properly, with no air leaks is an excellent fix for a rack of old wornout carbs. I made this conv. on my gl1100i, and im going to do it to my v65 magna. I plan to make the v65 manifold out if aluminum pipe, but a couple of the fellows are offering manifolds and carburetors as a kit. Good luck,
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.