Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to find out which weber 2 barrel carb that CC Products used when they made this kit in the early 80's for the GL1000 thru GL1200? The carb has a 26mm primary venturi, 34mm secondary venturi that was vacuum actuated and a manual choke. The stock throttle and choke controls were still used. CC Products has gone to just doing high proformance parts for BMW motorcycles and has no information for me other than it's a carb that is on a bunch of economy cars all over the world. Can anyone help me??

:?:?:?

Thanks!!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Friendly bump. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Alot of the single carb conversions are using this Weber carb nice two progerssive two barrel with manual choke it is sized for a 1.3 liter motor which is close to the displacement of the goldwing. I am fabricacing my own conversion intake and this is the carb I selected to use.

Part No. 22680.005 32/36 DGV
http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/32_36_DGV_p/22680.005.htm

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks for the help!! I bet this might be the carb. In the article it said that the GL1000 got 47mpg and the GL1100 got 57 mpg with this conversion.

Thank

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Most people on this forum have stated lower MPG; less than stock ~40. I would be curious if you have better results.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I would love to find out more about the single carb conversion myself. I have an '85 1200A. I am rebuilding the carbs now and am not looking forward to doing it again any time in the future. I will still have to sync them and all of that. How nice would it be to just have one to worry about? What are the pros and cons?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I believe one of the problems with single carbs GLs is the freezing. It's a long way from the carb to the cylinder head. I could be wrong, but I thought the GL1500s use a coolant line to the carbs to keep them warm; it's a long way to the GL1500 cylinders as well.

On standard GLs, the carb is much closer.

Does this sound correct?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I get about 37-40 on my single Holley, and since it's been too long since I've ridden the Aspencade with the 2 barrel Weber, but I think it was about the same. As long as you don't open the back barrel much!

Freezing? Never happened to me, but then I don't live in the tundra of the North. Plenum does get cold, but no where near enough to freeze. Here in Texas, were lucky to see 32 degrees a time or two every season.

I am planning to heat my plenum for grins mostly, maybe later this year.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

The article I read did have water passages on the single carb plenum for better fuel atomization. That way you got a much more efficient fuel/air mix going into the cylinder making for a better fuel burn.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I've already bought the water pump cover and crossover assemblies from a GL1200 LTD. They have water nipples already on them. Then I'll figure out how to get the heat from the water transferred to the bottom of the plenum. Found this that would do the trick, but it's a bit pricey.

Attach this to the bottom of the plenum and it will transfer the heat if I do it right.

I'm sure I could make something though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome RookieWinger. AS far as I know there is no factory production of the single carb manifold at this time . Not hard to believe though since these 4 cyclinder wings have been out of production since 1987. Once in a while one will come up for sale on Ebay . I think there are a couple members here who have built there own and might chime in on that . You can use the forum search tool here and find quite a bit of info . Also if you join the NakedGoldWing site there should be lots of info there too.Sorry I dont have a link for that .:(

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

If your really interested for info about conversions, do a search at,........ http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewforum.php?f=93 this is the New site of the Back Yard Built Gold Wings Bar and Grill after MSN stopped allowing them and other sites to use their Web site:(!! S. Sam I used a self tap like they use on copper tubing for ice maker installation for a return on the left side x over pipe. This allows for a shut off if need be!! I can also say this will produce alot of heateven though my set up is different by using copper tubing!!! Later :cooldj:Bob

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Here is the link to naked goldwings

http://nakedgoldwings.com/

There is alot of modifaction and upgrade information here.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

I decided to buy a used kit on ebay.Paid a kings ransom for it.Just dont have an air cleaner for it yet.I have the 2 barrel Weber with the fabbed manifolds.Its all ready to mount finally.Just really trying to find an aircleaner that will fit nicely under the tool tray.mine uses stock throttle and choke cable.I paid $330.00 plus sales tax and shipping cross town.
Going to find out soon enough how it all works.
Its going on a 77 gl1000

Flatfour

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

It is my firm opinion that running water lines to bring heat to the manifold of a single carb kit is purely useless. I run a CI single carb kit. I live in Wisconsin. I have ridden in temperatures as low as 34°F I have only had the carb freeze once, and conditions surrounding that freeze were so unique as to preclude it being likely to ever happen again.

The conditions, 12 degree ambient tempurature drop in the span of about 20 seconds, 75 foot increase in alttude in same amount of time, and an estimated 15% increase in humidity, rapid acceleration. These things all happened almost simultaneously. Hit a freeway on ramp that went up hill, climbed about 75 feet in less than an eighth of a mile, temp dropped by 12 degress almost instantly and a fog rolled in. Was the most freakish whether pattern I have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
It is my firm opinion that running water lines to bring heat to the manifold of a single carb kit is purely useless. I run a CI single carb kit. I live in Wisconsin.
From everything I have read on the conversion manifolds, and I have read quite a bit, The heater also does a better job of allowing the gas to atomize which gives you better mileage. so I don't think they would be totally useless.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

goldwingnut wrote:
Broke Winger wrote:
It is my firm opinion that running water lines to bring heat to the manifold of a single carb kit is purely useless. I run a CI single carb kit. I live in Wisconsin.
From everything I have read on the conversion manifolds, and I have read quite a bit, The heater also does a better job of allowing the gas to atomize which gives you better mileage. so I don't think they would be totally useless.
Correct. I am not heating the manifold to prevent freezing. Not worried about that. On the Aspencade I have, it's heated with engine oil, through a spin-on oil filter adapter, and the PO said it ran better the hotter it got. But he believes the oil never got hot enough, which is why I am going with the water route on the bike.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

My manifold has a brass plug screwed into it.I suppose something could be plumbed into that hole to warm the manifold if needed.I havent come up with a great idea yet.BrokeWinger has it right.Dont do it unless its right.
I have several ideas such as heated hand grip elements ect.They could be turned on as needed and turned off if not needed.The thing i need to know is how hot will they need to be?
Flatfour

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.