Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the juan hernandez kit from ebay with the aluminum manifold and the solex 34 pict 3 carb. I got everything installed and running. I adjusted the carb by the instructions on the vw sites. she idles good and runs good with a couple exceptions. under normal take off (slow and easy), she runs good, on hard take off (like you stole it) she runs good. running down the road hi gear 55 mph, if I open the throttle wide open she will stumble bad, open it gradually she does good.

Second: I don't seem to have the top end that I did before. I can get about 95. I did not have a long stretch of road to keep going. the throttle response is good under load, runs like a scalded ape...

I have read that this carb is used on 1600 cc vw engines...

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Sounds like an accelerator pump problem or a high speed jet just a little too small. How do the plugs look after the high speed take off? Tan or black?

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I you read posts you will discover that this is common with a singe carby install. Unfortunately it is a compromise.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My compromise will (hopefully) result in a rideable motorcycle with 1/4 of the carb problems. I'm no newbie, having done dozens of sets of Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha 3 and 4 cylinder carb racks in the past. These GL carbs at 30 years old are somewhat more of a challange. I'll keep 'em and keep after them but a bike in the garage that is not rideable is a real bummer to say the least. Having more time than money, I'll be following you (sort of) later this week.

I'm going to build my own aluminum manifold patterened after the juan hernandez manifold and using the 34PICT3 carb as well. Please post on any jetting/adjustment changes you find beneficial as I would be interested.

I have about $70.00 invested in T6061 aluminum tube, a carb flange and an air cleaner. Add a new carb at $125.00 and I'm still way ahead of the game vs a paid for rebuild.

Quirks in throttle response a problem? I think not, as I have my own quirks as well. :)

A BIG thanks to Captain Midnight for the inspirition as well as all of the great information that he has shared. I'm in central FL and will not be heating my first manifold prototype. We'll see how that goes..... Sorry Cap'n, I just don't understand where to pick up the hot water "easily". Maybe you can shed some light for me before I start welding?

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am no carb expert, but what little I have read on the solex carb, the main adjustment is the idle, everything else is controlled by jetting and the accelerator pump. I will ride it through the summer, keep a check on the plugs and mileage and make a decision about keeping...

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Solex carb. but it sounds like you may need to step down a size on the jet.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Ansimp is right. What you are experiencing is typical with any single carb setup for the four cylinder Wings. You can set it up to pull like a fright train through the low end, or set it up rich enough to still pull through the top end but it will e so rich that the low end will bog. Unfortunately you will never get the same top end with a single carb system that you get from the stock four pot setup.

You'll want to make sure yer vacuum advance unit is workin properly. I had a flat spot between 2500 and 2700 rpm. When I discovered the vacuum advance unit had been damaged and replaced it the flat spot went away. Something similar may be causing your acceleration issue.

I would strongly recommend swapping out the coils for a set off a neon. You'll get a stronger spark which will help a lot with the rich mixture.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Kevin - I would look at adjusting the accelerator pump rod to give it more or less of a shot. My high-speed experience with a PICT-34 is limited to 1000's ...and not much at all with high speed running. I found the carb to be too large for my engine and went with the 30/31.
"Stumble", I take it as not enough fuel while at sustained highway speed? If so, then give the accelerator pump a stronger shot with more duration. I can't imagine it giving too much fuel at +\-4K RPM as-is. Probably the opposite.
I see it as a adjustment issue only right now.

Bob - Coolant is one route, oil is another. Others here use oil with great results. Silicon Sam comes to mind.
The cleanest, easiest way that I know of to get oil is to use the adapter from a Yamaha XS850 meant for the external oil cooler. A direct bolt-on swap to a GL. Various Yamaha XS's will work. Probably some other makes/models as well. The adapter sandwiches between the block and the filter cover.
Coolant or oil, IMO heat is required. Try it with and without...
The pic below is of a '80/'81 XS850 oil cooler/filter/adapter assembly I picked up recently from eBay. That's where you'll find them best.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got done installing the same on my 79 gl1000. I had the same problem. I set the accelerator pump to maximum and it runs like a scared cat now.. I have the opposite problem, cant get mine to idle when pulling up to a stop light. Idles fine when in the driveway.. go figure!! Gonna check for a vac leak...

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Installed the same carb

I purchased the juan hernandez kit from ebay with the aluminum manifold and the solex 34 pict 3 carb. I got everything installed and running. I adjusted the carb by the instructions on the vw sites. she idles good and runs good with a couple exceptions. under normal take off (slow and easy), she runs good, on hard take off (like you stole it) she runs good. running down the road hi gear 55 mph, if I open the throttle wide open she will stumble bad, open it gradually she does good.

Second: I don't seem to have the top end that I did before. I can get about 95. I did not have a long stretch of road to keep going. the throttle response is good under load, runs like a scalded ape...

I have read that this carb is used on 1600 cc vw engines...
Hi I installed the same set on a friends 79 had to do some adjustments cause it is not made to fit a 79 it hits the front bracket but we did not have any problems running so maybe you have a high speed jet with some crap in it try some sea form and see if it clears up , also I did not take it up past 70 so I am not sure about the top end but it did not stumble like you said, it took off like I just took it from someone . Runs like a beast !! !! get back to me Guy

·
Born in the USSR
300 Posts
I just got done installing the same on my 79 gl1000. I had the same problem. I set the accelerator pump to maximum and it runs like a scared cat now.. I have the opposite problem, cant get mine to idle when pulling up to a stop light. Idles fine when in the driveway.. go figure!! Gonna check for a vac leak...
If you install a single carb on GL (34/3 PICT) always keep in mind the following:

1. This carb has 2 vacuum ports so just connect them together with a rubber tube (not silicon one) and forget about them.
2. Use stock vacuum line from air-intake #4 for CDI control unit
3. Do not forget to connect 2 positive wires (from left and right side of the VW carb) and 1 negative.
4. Basically there are no adjustments at all: 2 screws with 2,5 turns out and you will be happy
5. This construction is as simple and reliable as Russian tanks:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.