Discussion Starter #1
...read the .pdf

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read the .pdf
I used a speech-to-text converter. That works fine.
It was my .pdf converter. A free version built into a document writer I use. I usually have no problems with it.
It'll get choppy sometimes.
It's one of those instant button-click converters.
...but I do have style though. :D

I'll convert it again and >look at it< before I post it to make sure it's right.
Looks like a paragraph is missing..

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've replaced the .pdf with a readable and extended version.
I've parsed charts and drawings from the original but the majority of the text is intact.
Hope it helps..
CM

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I to found that very informative and easy to follow. Of course there is a big difference from having a basic understanding of a document and building the manifold and actually completing the conversion. My fabrication skills leave a lot to be desired. :sadguy:

Rod

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rodd.
I do try to give the best answer I can when possible.
Sometimes the questions don't happen though.

Example the previously posted picture that I am reposting now. No questions surfaced related to it. It is a very telling picture that went unnoticed for its intent.
View attachment 125594

Brazed Aluminum Manifold

1) - showing a fully brazed runner section without any alteration or smoothing of the finished braze. That is a finished brazing using the correct temperatures for the material. It is structurally sound and not so bad looking once polished out.

2) - shows a perfectly brazed port outlet-to-runner tubing connection. The key in having excellent flow of the brazing material is in having all three metals at the same temperature. The braze relied on a capillary affect to draw the material into the joint. A very nice brazing.

3) - showing a acceptable brazing. Notice the roughness of the port outlet-to-runner tubing joint material? Not enough heat was applied to the plenum outlet causing the brazing material to cool faster than it should before setting. It is not as strong of a joint as #2, but will do the job.

4) - Gaps can be bridged by brazing. A electrical weld would have a hard time in dealing with a gap like this one.

5) - as can be seen in the brazing material, a quite excessive gap was bridged on this runner for the required bending. Look closely at #1 as it shows the same bridging.

So, if the questions do not get asked, I have nothing to answer.
Fabrication skills are much like anything else.
Practice, practice and more practice.
Brazing aluminum 》effectively《 takes some experience.
It is not out of range for us to do in our garages if some practice in the techniques in applying the right amount of heat are found.

Nobody ever bothered to ask questions about the brazing done to the manifold pictured. The pic was designed for mention ...just like what is being done of it in this post now.
Again, no questions get no answers.
I've tried to give realistic options on putting the best possible manifold together in using the least amount of required tools.
With a fair amount of "machining" done to the manifold in the pic, nothing but a Dremel was used to get it done and prepped for brazing. Any gas capable of 700ºF will do.

Now imagine this: ...that those runner tube fish-eye cuts are seamless once the bend is closed and brazed. The finished brazing would have all seams looking like #2. That would be considered a beautiful brazing-job on that sacrificial manifold I've pictured above. :)

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Android and posting in-line is great ...if it worked.
I attached it normally.
Thanks John..

·
Administrator
58,763 Posts
ah so the Androids are amongst us says this Galaxy S5 owner :ROFL:

I am still trying to figure out some of the finer nuances of surfing the forum with mine.
So far, for general reading, and even some minor moderating, the Motorcycle.com application does a pretty good job.

I need to practice uploading graphics with it to see how that works for me.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get the option of posting pics in-line with the text via Android.
I don't know how to fi d it optionally othrrwise.
I like posting in-line ...as following a thought of mine seems easier to describe when trying to explain something. Posting pics alongside something written seems to me naturally intuitive.

What I cannot do from Android is add attachments via editing a post. I have the option to do it all the way up to "close this window" . ..which my Aos cannot do for some reason. Whether it's the platform (Android) or the particular app (Motorcycle.com) I do not know. If on the phone and need to edit-in a pic or attachment I switch and pull the forum up normally to get it done.
I live with it. Exploring different app's is nothing I'm interested in doing..

·
Administrator
58,763 Posts
Oh, I gave up on Android browsers a long time ago. I just don't like the restricted viewing size and the difficult navigating conditions.

If I can't have a full sized keyboard under my hands, the web just isn't going to get a lot of action from me.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...my glasses are more important than ever...

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Ripped and saved for later rumination...

T

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ripped and saved for later rumination...

T
Remember ...it is not the full text of what is in my manual. .... :cool:
Read my thought of the last quote at the bottom of my page 6 that finishes the paragraph in the manual.
If I were to include, what should be obvious simply by reading it up to that point, the remainder of my thoughts to that point in the reading ...then I will give direct influence to what others are not currently practicing today.
What I've been pushing lately is directly related to the omitted text. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Thats interesting. Does this mean the manifold needs to be made of metal? I seem to remember seeing at least some pictures of manifolds being made out of PVC type pipe. I myself have never used a welder and do not know how to braze.

Once again understanding the process is only the beginning I think. While this project isn't one I need to worry about quite yet, I do think it will be one I undertake at some point. Besides, it will give me an excuse to get some new tools and learn a new skill.

Rod

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats interesting. Does this mean the manifold needs to be made of metal? I seem to remember seeing at least some pictures of manifolds being made out of PVC type pipe. I myself have never used a welder and do not know how to braze.

Once again understanding the process is only the beginning I think. While this project isn't one I need to worry about quite yet, I do think it will be one I undertake at some point. Besides, it will give me an excuse to get some new tools and learn a new skill.

Rod
Composite resins are the way of my future.
I've done all that I'm going to do in metal. What I would do today in metal is what I am doing in composite material.
No sense in sand-casting when composites work better for me.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Composite resins are the way of my future.
I've done all that I'm going to do in metal. What I would do today in metal is what I am doing in composite material.
No sense in sand-casting when composites work better for me.
Are you still going to be selling your conversion kit?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Thats good. I imagine most people who would like to make this change are like me and probably do not possess the appropriate skills to make the manifold. :?

Rod

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.