Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

I would like to know where I can purchase a single carb manifold kit.

Also, will the exhaust system of a 1000 Goldwing fit an 1100?
Because there is a considerable difference in cost.

Thank you,

Alex

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I don't think there anyplace you can actually purchase the manifold conversion. I'm getting the impression that everyone who has done it, makes their own.

And yes, there is considerable difference between the 1000 and 1100 exhaust systems. The exhaust is ported specifically to a model of engine, using an off-year exhaust will cause performance to suffer as it will change the back pressure in your system.

Mike

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for your quick response. I think I'm going to take your advice on the exhaust. Because the 1100 has the crossover.

I also was wondering if anyone knows of guys who fabricate the manifolds. Are there any websites that I could go to?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The differences in a aftermarket exhaust between the 1100 and the 1000 will be fine for engine running. The problems may come in the mounting area. The crossovers are in different spots. Many folks have eliminated the crossover without any noticible effect on performance. I am sure there is some loss but it is minor. Also look at the Harley conversions. They are cheap and work very well.

For info on single carbs stuff try the backyard sig here: http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltGoldwingsBarGrille/general.msnw

They have a specific forum for single carb stuff and many folks there have done it. If you want to castrate your bike feel free to do the same. :shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

I have had thoughts of doing a single carb setup myself, not sure if the performance will equal a well tuned set of carbs. curious how it may effect the fuel mileage?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have a friend who makes a single carb manifold for the 1100. I have one on my '83 and it works great. I will be out of town Tuesday and Wednesday, but if you are interested; PM me with your phone number and I will have him call you. His manifold uses a Volkswagon carb. Again, my bike runs as good, if not better, than the stock setup.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

jjones0187 wrote:
I have had thoughts of doing a single carb setup myself, not sure if the performance will equal a well tuned set of carbs. curious how it may effect the fuel mileage?
Dubswing gave me a good lead to a guy in Tennessee who builds the manifolds and does a VW single carb. I talked to him today, and he tells me he rides his 1100 all over the country. And he's doing about 60 MPG and it runs very well, at all different altitutudes.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

All out Alex wrote:
And he's doing about 60 MPG
And the crowd says "huh???"

I'll have what he's having at that kind of mileage!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

He doesn't get 60 MPG. He does get between 45 and 50 with his 1100. My '83 gets 42 to 45 depending on how I ride and how much weight I have in my bags. The manifold and Volks carb work great and is as simple as it gets.

Bernie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.