From a 74 pinto

Bike will only run on full choke

Any ideas on jet sizing or any
Help would be awesome

Thx

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Was the carb sitting around for the last 39 years or so? Probably needs a good cleaning. Whenever a vehicle won't idle but runs at mid and full throttle, the low speed jets and circuits are likely plugged.,,

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I realize single-carb threads are like questions about tires or oil , but that carb is made for an engine more than twice the size of yours. If you get it running and find that you have symptoms where it will only accelerate with any degree of smoothness at all by just barely cracking the throttle, where any further open and it has a stupendous bog, you'll probably conclude that it's not the best choice. Been there, done that. Not on a Wing, but something else with a double-sized carb.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Don't give up yet. I bought my '82 with the Cycle Inovations intake and the holley carb already installed. Mine has never required choke but would not idle without a lot of throttle. It took us a while but we finally found an air leak between the carb and intake. With that cured it runs like a scalded ape and averages 40mpg. You could have a leak too and closing the choke helps compensate.

Good Luck

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
What make and model 2-barrel carburetor do you have?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.