Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:D

I'm a new member I have been looking for information on a single carb. setup for a GL1100. I found a site a few years ago but have lost the information. A company was selling a VW manafold with, I think a holly down draft rejeted carb. Does anyone have any information on it?

Later Cleo :?

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

I believe it was cycle innovations, they are no longer in business. I believe quite a few folks at nakedgoldwings have been experimenting with making their own setups.
I rebuilt a carb from a GL1100 for a friend once and it was not bad at all to do, not nearly as "picky" as the 77 I had.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The manifold I can build been welding for years, but carbI know nothing about. If I knew which carb to start with and the rejeting info I think I could do it without much trouble. I have rebuilt many different carbs from big 4 barrels to simple carbs, but need somewhere to start. Thanks for your reply now I will have to do some research on carbs. :shock: :? Thanks Cleo:baffled:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Seems to me that a big webber 2 barrel aught to work for that application. maybe even a small 4 barrel like I have on my old mazda rx7.

A buddy of mine used webbers on his vw beetle. one carb for 2 cylinders. This is a very common setup. If you have the skills to do the manifold then maybe some research with vw hotrodders is where you should start on deciding carb size. I know that vw's can be made easily to around 2200 cc's and so it seems to me that if a dual carb setup is used on 2200 cc's then one carb the same size could be used on your 1100 cc goldwing, without drowning it in fuel.

My old rx7 is a 1.3 liter (if i remember right), so at 1300 cc's a four barrel carb is not out of the question. I dont know if the rx being a rotory engine makes any difference in that equasion or not, I do know that it burns a tremendous amount of fuel for such a smal engine.

Just my 2 cents, it's probably a good thing that advice is free here cause in this case you are probably getting what you paid for.:D

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Man I appricate the reply it's something to think about and do some research on. :D

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The Holley carb used on the CI setup was a variation of the old Holley model 1940. I bought another Holley 1940 off ebay, and it has it's similarities to the one from the CI kit, which I run on my bike.

Was a popular carb on Ford's back in the 60's I believe. And I think Jeep may have used it too.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

80wing2 wrote:
Hello Everyone:D

I'm a new member I have been looking for information on a single carb. setup for a GL1100. I found a site a few years ago but have lost the information. A company was selling a VW manafold with, I think a holly down draft rejeted carb. Does anyone have any information on it?

Later Cleo :?
Cleo, over the years there have been many single carb GoldWing conversions.. Most use either one of the older single Solex type carbs or the Holly 5200 (or a derivative there of)..

The Holly 5200 is probably the easiest to work with & jet correctly, there are many parts & tuning guides on that carb as it has been used for years on Hi Performance VW air cooled engines in Dune Buggies, sand rails & race VW off roaders.. The old Ford Pinto used a Ford version of that carb (didn't flow very good though).. In fact I still have a pile of parts for the old 5200 & some of the Webber twins out in my shop..

The carb & linkage to adapt itto the throttle cables is not hard to fabricate but the manifold might be.. While it's quite easy to stuff a couple (or 4) pipes in a weldment for the under carb plenum it is not that easy to get an even flow to all 4 cylinders at part & mid throttle.. Using a pre-manufactured VW center section might be a good way to go as some of the better ones are pretty well flow tested & some even have small flow diverts in the manifold to even out the flow.. One of the problems with those staged 2 barrel carbs is how to correctly center the carb over the plenum & get even flow when on only the first stage then retain the even flow & mixture when the other stage comes in.. Not the end of the world if not done completely correct but the more uneven the flow the harder it is to jet correctly & retain even mixtures to all 4 cylinders..

Plenty of air cleaners available for the 5200 & lots of parts still available..

Twisty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.