Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike Intake Performance ( bikeintakeperformance.com ) is currently selling a Goldwing gl1100-1100 single carburetor manifold with carburetor for $319.00.

Anyone ever hear of them? Curious what those of you who have designed your own setup think of theirs.

My 1000 has a single carbon manifold that Captainmidnight85 designed and built. The bike is still in SD with him so I can't look at it to compare.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I haven't started it yet. I had some really bad financial problems, so the bike has been sitting since 2011, and a lot of stuff went bad just sitting.

I've had to do a lot of work to get her back into running condition: stator, clutch, tires and tubes, battery, fork seals, and I still have to get some new timing belts.

Hopefully, I'll get her running pretty soon, and I'll be able to give a report on the carb and manifold.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
...that is not Juan.
Those manifolds can be found originating from this board within the Technical Forum.

There is no comparing that set-up to mine.
Night and Day differences....

The carburetor I use retains its factory calibration for the application it was intended for.

...many differences with how I approach my conversion in comparison.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
The carb is too large.
The plenum is too large.
The plenums' shape is not uniform.
...and, no heat.

Nice to have options for a purchase, but this combination leaves much to be desired on many facets.

--------------------------------
from an additional .com below:
--------------------------------

"About Us!

Our manifolds are designed and manufactured by us in the USA by a few diehard Gold Wing enthusiasts looking to solve the issues with the original multiple carburetor setup and help you to get back on the road.We believe that the single carburetor conversion using the VW 34 PICT3 Type2 carb is the easiest way to achieve that goal. However, we are always open to new ideas and welcome comments on design changes to accommodate other types of carburetors such as the Weber progressive DT, as we will also prototype new designs. Contact us at [email protected] anytime!*We have had 100% positive feedback along with many personal emails from customers that have installed this setup."

------------------------

A bad design from a frontman with server access...

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems to have a lot of flaws. I wasn't searching for a single carb conversion kit when I ran across it. I knew it did not have heat. But I had no idea about the rest.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a quick internet search on single carb manifolds for the old wings today found a few. Added in the with heat part and got the internet equivalent of the cricket sounds. Either people don't know or figure it's to hard to implement.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
"...intimate fluid contact with the floor of the plenum." - Tom Langdon

... 99% have not done that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installation Instructions- Gold Wing Single Carburetor Conversion

This setup uses only a single throttle control cable. Decelerate control and choke will not be used

1. Remove intake boots, control cables, fuel lines etc. and remove existing carburetor setup.
    Note: Remove carburetor assembly from left side of engine. Removal of the right front air piston cap will aid in the removal on some models.
  2. Install intake boots onto new manifold making sure that the rubber flanges are in good condition.( Boots can be installed easier by warming in hot water for a few minutes)
  3. Install new manifold with the intake boots back on engine and reinstall the flange bolts. Tighten boot clamps ( 1” stainless 10-32 bolts will be needed because of the larger diameter runners)
  4. Install the carburetor with the throttle control on the right side ( throttle cable bracket side)
  5. Locate positive electrical source ( any wire that goes through ignition switch)
    The fuse box under the top cover is the best location
Connect 2 wires (Positive Terminal) upper screw on right side of fuse box ( verify)
Connect 1 wire (Negative Terminal) lower screw on right side of fuse box (verify)
One positive wire attaches to the electric choke, the other positive wire attaches to the air cut valve.
Attach the ground wire to the Carburetor body

1. Install fuel line, throttle cable, air filter (optional)
    2. Turn ignition to the on position with the engine in cutoff position and crank the engine a few times to allow fuel into the carburetor.
    3. Re-check all connections i.e. clamps, cables, and fuel lines
    4. Start the engine and allow to idle for a few minutes.
    5. Decelerator cable should be removed to avoid cable jamming. Choke cable can be tie wrapped inside tank cover
    6. Enjoy the Ride!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Welcome BiP.
Glad you're here.

I'm certain many will have questions of your conversion for these motorcycles.
I've some myself.

You may find some valuable input if you participate.

·
Administrator
57,470 Posts
BiP

First, welcome to the forum.

2nd, get rid of that Avatar as it is Commercial in nature.....
unless, you decide to purchase one of the Premium memberships here as a Sponsoring Vendor. Do that, and you can have your own Sub-Forum just like all of the other Sponsors...

3rd, please back off on the rhetoric.... we try to keep this a "family oriented" forum, and do not allow attacks against anyone, or any other forums. It just is not good politics, and Politics are Verboten on this forum.

I will be watching your post count. Please take care of the above... and go back and edit down your posts to smooth out the 'attack mode'... You have a maximum of 72 hours to edit any single post.

I don't think anyone can Prove Being First with any of the ideas presented here....

Use a different avatar, or that one will be blanked out subject to your decisions as mentioned above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, thanks for warm welcome. I do this for almost 3 years in the row. This conversion is been designed and tested many times before it came in to the market. I had such a hard times to get it running well. There was a lots of issues with steel thickness, runners set up inside the plenum and of course carburetor tuning. It took a lots of effort to get to this point when part is fully functional and good looking. Now I can say this is great product and people like it.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Hi, thanks for warm welcome. I do this for almost 3 years in the row. This conversion is been designed and tested many times before it came in to the market. I had such a hard times to get it running well. There was a lots of issues with steel thickness, runners set up inside the plenum and of course carburetor tuning. Now I can say this is great product and people like it.
Thanks for replying BiP.

Have you thought of using one of the smaller flanged carbs for the 1000 and 1100's such as PICT30-3?
Our experience has shown that they work much better for those bikes than the 34-3.
The only change required would be the carburetor base flange on your manifold.

It would be a significant move on your part for the marketplace should you offer a small flange manifold with or without a carburetor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes I do PICT30-3 as well, just buy the request. Yes this will be a set: manifold and carburetor as well.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Yes I do PICT30-3 as well, just buy the request. Yes this will be a set: manifold and carburetor as well.
That would certainly be a more viable conversion for the 1000 and 1100.
It will work extremely well for the 1200 as well.

Thanks for the reply.
Good Luck, BiP!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.