Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

581 - 591 of 591 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
"...what jets did you use on solex 30 pict-1 ? I got 76 gl1000 I ended up with a manifold off eBay and got 34 pict-3 of course it did work. Been reading everything I could off all the wing forum but the information is so old I was getting NO where. I'm so clad you put updated information I'm in a jam wife told me other day if I don't get my 2nd carb to work she is pulling my funding for my gl1000 project.?"

I am running a 55 idle jet and a 130 main jet on my 34 Pict 3, but that is on a 1200 motor. I kept making minor adjustments (solder and drill bits) until I found the right size that worked right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I realize these posts are a few years old, but are the Weber 32/36 carbs a headache to get running right in a 75 GL1000? I hear about a flat spot in the 32/36s. (I just want to get this bike running good. It was my Father n laws. He thinks I sold it. (I want to surprise him some day before he checks out!) I cant seem to find the Weber32DFT that some are raving about. But, is it possible to jet a 32/36 the same as a 32DFT.(since their a right out of the box install) As you can tell, Im not an expert in Carbs. Please help, my CFO (wife) threatened to pull the plug on this project and burn it to the ground if I sink anymore cash into this bike!

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
I think with the length of the intake it's probably not possible to make a single carb work right on a flat four. They didn't work good on a VW either.

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
Are you saying I wasted more money on this wreck?!?

Lots of people get the 4 bangers running to their satisfaction with single carbs. That doesn't mean the bike is running perfectly.

I wonder if the work involved, making the manifold and such, is worth it. Seems it would be easier to rebuild the existing carbs.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I realize these posts are a few years old, but are the Weber 32/36 carbs a headache to get running right in a 75 GL1000? I hear about a flat spot in the 32/36s. (I just want to get this bike running good. It was my Father n laws. He thinks I sold it. (I want to surprise him some day before he checks out!) I cant seem to find the Weber32DFT that some are raving about. But, is it possible to jet a 32/36 the same as a 32DFT.(since their a right out of the box install) As you can tell, Im not an expert in Carbs. Please help, my CFO (wife) threatened to pull the plug on this project and burn it to the ground if I sink anymore cash into this bike!
I see that Tom Langdon is out of stock, so if you wanted a 32 DFT you would have to locate one somewhere else. Maybe ebay?

I never tried the 32/36, but I have heard that the 36 secondary is too much for the 1000 (I have a 78 GL1000). That's why I went with the 32 DFT because it is a 32/32, and worked very well on my Wing. I tried the single barrel 34 Pict 3, and it was too much for mine, even though they work great with the 1200. The 32/32 gives a big boost when you hit the secondary (don't open the throttle too much on a tight turn, or the back end will try to pass you)!

My first try with the 32 DFT was using the single barrel intake with a 2 into 1 adapter. (I was trying to be cheap and use what I had.) It worked, but it wasn't the best. Then I bought a used VW 2 barrel plenum and made runners out of PVC pipe. That worked better, then I had some electrical problems that stopped me, and now some physical challenges to overcome before I can ride again.

I never did heat the plenum, and that was a problem with the 2 into 1 adapter. There was a noticeable lag when I hit the throttle, but when it recovered, I was able to get the speed up to 119 mph on the speedometer (no GPS). I didn't get to try the top speed with my PVC runners and VW plenum.

If you want to try the single barrel, use a 30 pict instead of the 34. I don't know what you plan to use for an intake manifold, but some guys have made a single barrel manifold completely from inexpensive PVC from the local hardware store. Definitely cheaper than having Pistol Pete rebuild your stock carbs! ( $500 - $700)

·
Registered
47 Posts
The original carbs are complete junk! I sank 200 bucks into new floats and air cutoff,hoses. Even spent an entire Saturday slowly taking the thing apart cleaning everything and still could not get the bike to run right. My local Wing guy quoted me 1200 bucks to clean and setup carbs (no parts included) and I passed. (bike is not worth 1200). I do have the EMPI VW intake for the 32/36 carb and made PCV runners. My goal is to have the bike run, if I cant get 119 mph so what. There is not enough space in my neck of the woods to reach that speed. The bike is a cruiser not a racer. As long as I can reach 0 -70 mph in a reasonable time, fine. Im sure it will all work out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Try a Hitachi 306DCG. The DCG has the manual choke and the smallest Venturi sizes of any progressive two barrel. They were used on Datsun A12 engines. They’re available on eBay for less than $75.

Venturi is 20mm and 26mm, a bit smaller than the DFT. It has a bellcrank that looks easy to be able to use the standard Goldwing pull cable. The DCG is a mechanically activated secondary. The other versions were vacuum operated.

You will need to make your own mounts as it is smaller than the 32/36 throat openings.

I have two sitting in the garage to try as a twin setup.

IMO based on reading the many successes and failures of the single carb attempts over the years, it is Venturi size and too large runner diameter that causes low speed running issues.

I think the secondary could give it a pretty good boost when needed.

Attachments

581 - 591 of 591 Posts