Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What are your opinions on sintered brake pads?

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

According to EBC brakes... I am using them on the wee, and like them.

---

This is the fusing together under heat and pressure of metallic particles and in the case of brakes it blends various other elements to enhance friction properties and wear life.

Sintered Brakes have become a standard on 99% of Motorcycles and ATVs from the OE Builders and they also form a large percentage of the aftermarket for bikes and ATV’s.

Sintered brakes last longer and generally speaking handle the heat of heavy braking better. In Road Race use we have to admit that there are almost NO organic pads that come close to Sintered compounds but that does not hold true in streetbike use where EBC Organic compounds in terms of performance are almost undetectable from sintered. Proof of this is that EBC Brakes was the first and probably still is the only Brake manufacturer with EC E R 90 brake safety approval of both its sintered Brakes and its Organic brakes on Motorcycle for public highway use.

Although attempts were made by the OEMs a few years ago to cut costs of Sintered brakes by using sintered IRON, that was deemed a failure and these days the base material is copper.

Sintered copper brakes are made by one of two processes, pressure sintering in a vacuum furnace or sintering through a belt furnace in a controlled atmosphere. The steel backing plates for the brake pads are copper coated and a preformed sintered copper “Puck” is located onto pips in the plate (either male or female) and the parts are passed through a furnace. At a pre-determined temperature the copper coating under the pad puck melts and fused the puck and plate together.

Sintering is a very exact process and the EBC expertise has made it a world leader in such technology and gained it numerous OE contracts.

In the aftermarket EBC continues to offer sintered brakes for applications requiring longer life and higher heat performance and organic pads for sport and general purpose street use.

Both work well in their respective markets and have a place in the industry, elsewhere on this website we can explain the merits of each compound type and assist you in choosing what is right for your riding requirements.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

what about rotor wear

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I've been using them for a couple of years and not noticed any increased rotor wear.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You HAD to copy that from somewhere, Ubar......

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Just checkin'.........

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I have been using them for a while now and like them. Have not checked the rotor wear as of yet, but the next time I change the pads I will be checking them.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I have experienced disc wear from sintered metal pads.

I tend to avoid but having said that the brakeing power was very good for me.

I have found kevlar compound ones very good in the wet at slow speeds as the initial slip is cancelled out!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

goldtop wrote:

I've had that too, on my Shadow 1100. They did stop the bike much batter, but ate grooves through the discs fast.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Wilson02 wrote:
goldtop wrote:
I've had that too, on my Shadow 1100. They did stop the bike much batter, but ate grooves through the discs fast.
Well what do you want. Do you want to possibly SAVE your life by being able to stop quicker in an emergency, Or do you save to SAVE a few bucks on rotors?

For me, that is a no brain-er. Saving money on rotors don't do you diddly squat if your dead.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Well said galaxy. This is true but the original question wasn't are they a good idea but what are your experiences. The choice of pads is personal. I in no way gave advice to choose one over another.

Too be brutally honest on a 1980 gl1100 it's stopping distance compared with modern machines i.e the gl1500/ gl1800 is pitiful. Emergency stops on my machine are always a good way of clearing your mind. Forward thinking iseasily better than brakes in these situations for me. There is no doubt that if push came to shove and my min breaking distance was compromised I would hit the object concerned.

I have no plans to do that.

The largest problem with older bikes is the power behind the pistons for the sheer weight of the bike. No pad can solve this.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

This out take says it pretty well,

"In Road Race use we have to admit that there are almost NO organic pads that come close to Sintered compounds but that does not hold true in streetbike use where EBC Organic compounds in terms of performance are almost undetectable from sintered"

If you are not racing or ride the brakes heavily the organic pads are just as good.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

galaxyhunter wrote:
Well what do you want. Do you want to possibly SAVE your life by being able to stop quicker in an emergency, Or do you save to SAVE a few bucks on rotors?

For me, that is a no brain-er. Saving money on rotors don't do you diddly squat if your dead.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I use the EBC-Double H series for that very reason. I do get some rotor surface scoring but nothing in the way of significant wear noted.

I know the sintered pads will cause a little more resistance in the relaxed state than the stock Honda ones but that too is negligible.

If I didn't want the Double H series for their stopping power in all conditions, I'd probably stick to the Honda OEM pads as my 2nd choice.

Main thing is to make sure your rotors stay flat and don't cup in at each edge of the pad tracks. That is the problem I've seen as to contributing to weak braking other than the anemic stock system or using organic pads which turn into wax when they get hot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.