Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is another thread already discussing this, then pardon me and redirect me please, but I need to know if anyone/everyone who has satellite radio is having as much trouble with their reception on their Goldwings as I'm having? As soon as I'm not in direct line of sight of the satellite (behind a hill, trees, bridges, buildings, etc), my reception is gone.
No other vehicle I've owned has this problem. Is this an antenna issue , buffering issue , or what? But this is not acceptable.:(

P.S.: I'm talking about the factory installed radio on my 2012 G.W.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
Satellite radio has to be in direct line of sight, any of them. I do remember something about relocating the antenna for better reception.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I agree with Dave, that I recall a thread about poor antenna placement out of the factory.

But, alas, I have no details.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I posted something about this a while back. I have factory XM in my car and also factory XM on my 2012 Goldwing. Having had the car for quite some time before I bought the bike, I knew where typical deadspots were located on my 50 mile commute to work. When I bought the bike, it was much, much worse. Areas that I get reception in the car are deadspots on the bike. Like you, I feel that something is not quite right with the placement of the antennae on the GW.

·
1,566 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would add another vote for antenna placement. I do not have factory XM on my bike, but have used XM for years. I have run into this problem and it was the antenna being blocked and not having a clear line of site to the sky. Where is the factory antenna placed on the wing? Could you move it? I have put the Garmin Zumo antenna under the front cowl on a ST 1300 and it has worked very well without any drop off.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would add another vote for antenna placement. I do not have factory XM on my bike, but have used XM for years. I have run into this problem and it was the antenna being blocked and not having a clear line of site to the sky. Where is the factory antenna placed on the wing? Could you move it? I have put the Garmin Zumo antenna under the front cowl on a ST 1300 and it has worked very well without any drop off.

I was out today riding and my XM reception was horrible. Very clear day, very few trees, wide open space, and it chopped in and out so bad I just went back to FM radio. Something has got to be done about this problem. It practically is worthless. No car I've had over the past 10 years has done this so I blame the radio and its hardware , and the engineering. It should be recalled. Honda has blown it with their XM radio. If it weren't for the weather radar feature, I would drop my subscription.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I posted something about this a while back. I have factory XM in my car and also factory XM on my 2012 Goldwing. Having had the car for quite some time before I bought the bike, I knew where typical deadspots were located on my 50 mile commute to work. When I bought the bike, it was much, much worse. Areas that I get reception in the car are deadspots on the bike. Like you, I feel that something is not quite right with the placement of the antennae on the GW.

That, and the lag in CB reception of about 1 second, are the only two gripes I have about the 2012/13 models.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Well it appears the XM antenna solution described at The goldwingowners web site is the 100% solution!

Putting the antenna inside the fairing, bad bad bad Honda engineer!!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Took a trip down into the Eastern States a few years back with my buddy's Sat. Radio.The cutting in and out was so annoying that I finally threw it in the trunk and left it there.Great for the flatlanders but not so good in the mountains.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it appears the XM antenna solution described at The goldwingowners web site is the 100% solution!

Putting the antenna inside the fairing, bad bad bad Honda engineer!!
What's weird is that today it did just fine. I went riding after 3:00 P.M. for a late afternoon ride and the weather was even clearer than yesterday and the air looked less hazy. VERY CLEAR skies. Never chopped out at all despite trees and hills. Obviously a cleaner signal helps. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just went through this with the entire episode coming to an inglorious end just today. My reception sucks on my 2010 Wing. Always has. Trip from Tucson to Daytona Bike week and back in March had me thinking I could solve the problem (duh...bla...la...ka...) by pushing the Wing off a steep cliff -- it drove me crazy. Then I thought maybe less extreme methods should be explored first.

I did a lot of work on this. I read all the blogs, searched the web far and wide, spoke to everyone at places like Satellite Super Store (very helpful but to no avail) and everybody else in that business I could find. I even bought the aftermarket antenna. Bottom line: no one makes an after market antenna or adapter with the plastic molded connector required to successfully connect to the Gold Wing factory XM reciever. Period. (pls someone tell me I'm wrong!)

The Honda connector design secures the connection and prevents it from accidentally vibrating loose. Neither of the FAKRA adapters (the brass one or the plastic moded one you'll see out there) will work on the factory receiver. Yes, antenna placement is a bad design and they ought to do something about -- either XM or Honda. I won't re-up my subscription when this on expires unless the problem can be addressed. And Honda? Well, for their part, they can't even pronounce XM. Mention it to them and they look at each other and say in unison, "Gee, we've never heard that before...".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.