Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL. Its cold today. I was thinking of trips I took this year. I thought it would be nice to hear from you guys,and hearing about your trips this summer. The trips I took had some surprises, and disappointments.
I went out west with some friends to Mt Rushmore. From there I went on by myself, west to Beartooth, Yellowstone, and Glacier. Surprise was Beartooth, WOW it was the high light of the trip. Disappointment no place to camp in Montana,and Glacier. Don't get me wrong, It was great. The problem was in my mind I thought it was much larger than it is. Glacier was awesome views, Beartooth was views and ride. It was 103* in Red Lodge, and 53* at the top.I could talk a lot about that trip, But if we were sitting around a camp fire you would chime in, that is what I am looking for. Tell me yours I will tell you mine.
God Bless, and MARRY CHRISTMAS
Gary

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Our memorable trips are many, but one that really stands out was a ride to Appilachicola Florida. Being a pair of history buffs, Barb and I were suprised to find that this little seaside town was, at one time, the natural sponge capitol of the world! (remember "Sea Hunt"?) The town is a tourist trap now, but all the old photos, and buildings told a very cool story. Imagine huge lots, 'bout the size of a Wal-Mart parking lot, with rows and rows of sponges stacked chest high! From little bitty sponges to ones that were the size of a VW Beetle! Perveyors from the world would sail to this place to buy/sell their sponges. This all started WAY before SCUBA gear!!! Appilchicola is also famous for its oysters, harvested daily in the emerald waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The ride started in Panama Beach, and we had a beautiful time. If any of you get a chance, head on down! Also, Xtratcho is close by, if you catch him off his ship and at home with his beautiful girls in PCB. That alone is worth the trip!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our memorable trips are many, but one that really stands out was a ride to Appilachicola Florida. Being a pair of history buffs, Barb and I were suprised to find that this little seaside town was, at one time, the natural sponge capitol of the world! (remember "Sea Hunt"?) The town is a tourist trap now, but all the old photos, and buildings told a very cool story. Imagine huge lots, 'bout the size of a Wal-Mart parking lot, with rows and rows of sponges stacked chest high! From little bitty sponges to ones that were the size of a VW Beetle! Perveyors from the world would sail to this place to buy/sell their sponges. This all started WAY before SCUBA gear!!! Appilchicola is also famous for its oysters, harvested daily in the emerald waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The ride started in Panama Beach, and we had a beautiful time. If any of you get a chance, head on down! Also, Xtratcho is close by, if you catch him off his ship and at home with his beautiful girls in PCB. That alone is worth the trip!

WOW I want to go there now. I do like that old town history.
God Bless
Gary

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Our travels this year took us to many beautiful places, but the best part was all of the members from this site that we met. Twas a very good year. Bear tooth was definitely the most beautiful place we have been.:waving:Hoping for more fun travels this year.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Gary! The first thing we noticed in Appilachicola was an antique "hand pumped" divers suit, with a skeleton inside, sitting in a wheelchair, outside of a gift shop. A sign said, "This is what happens to old sponge divers!". We also saw a vessel used way back when to dive for sponges and oysters. Oldest vessle I have ever seen, and I live close to the Civil War Naval Museum! Yeah man, if you can ever swing it, that whole area is RICH with history! From shipwrecks to F-22 Raptors flying into Tyndall AFB. Man that is one BADASS fighter jet! Let me know if you are ever headed this way!!!!! Jim

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary! The first thing we noticed in Appilachicola was an antique "hand pumped" divers suit, with a skeleton inside, sitting in a wheelchair, outside of a gift shop. A sign said, "This is what happens to old sponge divers!". We also saw a vessel used way back when to dive for sponges and oysters. Oldest vessle I have ever seen, and I live close to the Civil War Naval Museum! Yeah man, if you can ever swing it, that whole area is RICH with history! From shipwrecks to F-22 Raptors flying into Tyndall AFB. Man that is one BADASS fighter jet! Let me know if you are ever headed this way!!!!! Jim
I will let you know.
Marry Christmas
Gary

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Visiting Historical Sites is kinda of a hobby of mine..At Galveston Texas there used to be several old "Bunkers" built to protect the Gulf Coast from an enemy attack..Then the Army closed them down and the wood floors inside rotted away, the concrete floors becamed filled with blowing sand. A super slide was at one time built on the top of it, then it closed..But This was over 47 years ago, right after my wife and I got married we bought her a 1958 Hillman Husky Station wagon cute little sucker...Well one day we drove to Galveston from Houston seen this old bunker, there was a couple of guys on dune buggies driving threw it, so we decided to try it..

Inside the openings were built to where if it took a hit, the bomb would not get into the living quarters, ammo etc..Now imagine the entrances were a "V" on each end, and the Middle was also a "V", so once inside without your head lights on you could see just enough daylight to keep on the "road"...

Just before we made the turn in that "V", we heard voices, male and female...The girls were scared the boys were putting on a bavery act.."Nothing in here hurt you.... So come on cowards"..That Hillman was so quite, we eased foward just enough to see them outlined by the sun light, but we were in the dark...They couldn't see us...The horn on that Hillman was a sick horn..When you pushed the horn button it "Growled" then "screached like a banshie"....

Two blasts on that horn had all eight of them turning in their tracks, running into the wall several times, over each other, Screaming "MONSTER"..OH Lord it was so funny, we eased out the back way drove around to see this huge crowd of people listening to these eight teenagers telling how they escaped a fire breathing MONSTER....OH Yeah I turned the fog lights on..Not red but yellow ones...

Now that bunker is part of a fancy hotel and it serves as a wine celler and storm shelter...Too bad cause we can't pass it without laughing at the day a MONSTER was discovered in it....:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I only had one “epic” trip this summer and that was for a weekend camping trip to Front Royal, VA and then down the Skyline Drive. It rained so hard on the trip there that my feet looked like raisins and it took all weekend for my boots to dry. On the trip home I punched in the Flight 93 Memorial address and selected “Shortest Distance,” then rode where the GPS wanted me to go. Highlights of the trip were meeting some really great people, riding next to a deer on the Skyline Drive as it stood on the side of the road eating grass (it never moved), and seeing parts of Virginia and West Virginia that I would never have seen had I traveled the fasted route.

·
Registered
517 Posts
MN to Winnipeg CA via Pembina ND border crossing to visit friends. Took a long way around and came back thru International Falls. US customs guy didn't seem to believe I went the long way around just to ride.

Decided I didn't like my Yamaha Venture and have already purchased a GL1800.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I have too many stories to tell but I can tell ya what I did this past weekend, see a few years ago I bought myself a small weber grill, you know those tiny ones that are about 14" diameter, well what I did to that weber is I drilled out some addition holes in and around the base or below the grill so more air gets in, I use this weber for my fires outside and we [family, friends] gather around it and have us a pow wow once a week or so, we tell stories and laugh in front of a fire, sometimes we have a beer but mostly not.. it's always fun to do... I use that same weber on any of my camp outs or when traveling with my trailer..

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I had a great trip this year between jobs.
3000+ miles, 3 weeks and 7 states.:shock:

AZ, NM, UT, CO, NV, ID, Montana, back to OR.

First week was AZ, NM with the wife and the next two weeks was by myself. All back roads, no interstates. Trip of a life time.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
MN to Winnipeg CA via Pembina ND border crossing to visit friends. Took a long way around and came back thru International Falls. US customs guy didn't seem to believe I went the long way around just to ride.

Decided I didn't like my Yamaha Venture and have already purchased a GL1800.
Hey! You were in Winnipeg and never called?! Shame on you! :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Another great trip comes to mind. We had gone to the Outer Banks several years in a row. It was a good meeting point for us to hook up with friends from Pleasant Gap PA. We all fell in love with the area. We went to Ocracoke Island on a free ferry, and rode all over that island! Tons of history there. From pirates to the Wright brothers. Also the Coast Guard evolved from the hand rowed life saving boats that served the mariners and locals way back when. Lots of lighthouses,too. The people are friendly, and share freely their knowledge of the area. Good pier fishing,too! jimsjinx

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.