Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Our memorable trips are many, but one that really stands out was a ride to Appilachicola Florida. Being a pair of history buffs, Barb and I were suprised to find that this little seaside town was, at one time, the natural sponge capitol of the world! (remember "Sea Hunt"?) The town is a tourist trap now, but all the old photos, and buildings told a very cool story. Imagine huge lots, 'bout the size of a Wal-Mart parking lot, with rows and rows of sponges stacked chest high! From little bitty sponges to ones that were the size of a VW Beetle! Perveyors from the world would sail to this place to buy/sell their sponges. This all started WAY before SCUBA gear!!! Appilchicola is also famous for its oysters, harvested daily in the emerald waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The ride started in Panama Beach, and we had a beautiful time. If any of you get a chance, head on down! Also, Xtratcho is close by, if you catch him off his ship and at home with his beautiful girls in PCB. That alone is worth the trip!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Gary! The first thing we noticed in Appilachicola was an antique "hand pumped" divers suit, with a skeleton inside, sitting in a wheelchair, outside of a gift shop. A sign said, "This is what happens to old sponge divers!". We also saw a vessel used way back when to dive for sponges and oysters. Oldest vessle I have ever seen, and I live close to the Civil War Naval Museum! Yeah man, if you can ever swing it, that whole area is RICH with history! From shipwrecks to F-22 Raptors flying into Tyndall AFB. Man that is one BADASS fighter jet! Let me know if you are ever headed this way!!!!! Jim

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Another great trip comes to mind. We had gone to the Outer Banks several years in a row. It was a good meeting point for us to hook up with friends from Pleasant Gap PA. We all fell in love with the area. We went to Ocracoke Island on a free ferry, and rode all over that island! Tons of history there. From pirates to the Wright brothers. Also the Coast Guard evolved from the hand rowed life saving boats that served the mariners and locals way back when. Lots of lighthouses,too. The people are friendly, and share freely their knowledge of the area. Good pier fishing,too! jimsjinx

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.