Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

There arethree things I saw in other tourers when I was looking that I would have liked to have, but still ended up buying an 1800. 1)A sixth gear (true overdirve), 2) Feet farther foward, 3) A trunk that opens from the side.

Goldwings have limited foot room by design, but there is no reason a sixth gear couldnt be designed into a Goldwing. Maybe the side opening trunk thing is a Harley feature but it would be nice not to have to clean off the seat and open the arm rests before opening the trunk.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

A six speed transmission would add weight and complexity and might even add bulk. A better solution, in my opinion would be to rethink the gear ratios. At the GL price point, it should definitely have an electronic gear position indicator, a power center stand, a power windscreen and better brakes.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

I have a '99 1500, and will not be buying another bike anytime soon, but I know that I definitely believe that an extra OD gear would be great. On long flat stretches, knocking down a few hundred RPM would definitely increase fuel economy. The reduction in friction & pumping losses would be noticeable.
The wireless IC would also be nice, but if I had a choice, I'd rather have the gear!

·
Administrator
24,624 Posts
imported post

ben721364 wrote:
A six speed transmission would add weight and complexity and might even add bulk. A better solution, in my opinion would be to rethink the gear ratios. At the GL price point, it should definitely have an electronic gear position indicator, a power center stand, a power windscreen and better brakes.
I agree about the gearing. The engine has plenty of torque so another set of gears in the trans is unneeded. Just a ratio change would be nice.

Better brakes, how? I couldn't possibly ask for better brakes, it will pull your eyeballs out now.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Another vote for a 6th gear and cordless intercom. I also think that 1st gear is geared way too low. It's just so goosey in 1st gear, that when I'm stopped at an intersection where I need to turn, I'll start out in 2nd to avoid the jerky start and swinging too wide on my turn. (Could be me though -- I've only been riding the Wing about three months).

mike

·
Administrator
24,624 Posts
imported post

StartedLate wrote:
Another vote for a 6th gear and cordless intercom. I also think that 1st gear is geared way too low. It's just so goosey in 1st gear, that when I'm stopped at an intersection where I need to turn, I'll start out in 2nd to avoid the jerky start and swinging too wide on my turn. (Could be me though -- I've only been riding the Wing about three months).

mike
A taller ratio in the final drive would fix that without having to add another gear set.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Hello everyone, new to the forum and I hate to disagree, but !!!

You got my vote for the wireless intercom, as for the sixth gear, sorry, has anyone here been able to red-line fifth gear on a Gold Wing ? you would be doing over 140 mph.

I ride with the wife most of the time and I think the bike (06 ABS) is geared just right, lots of get up and go out of the line and at highway speeds.

A friend of mine just sold a motorcycle with a sixth gear that he bough brand new only two years ago, (07 Harley street glide) he didn't like the sixth gear, he fund himself having todown shift every time he encountered an incline on the highway, the bike was almost an 1700 cc and weigh considerably less then a Gold Wing.

Walter

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

1I think everyone is missing the real outcome it won't be a six speed that will turn heads but and "Automatic"
now lets see where this goes

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

cgroh360 wrote:
1I think everyone is missing the real outcome it won't be a six speed that will turn heads but and "Automatic"
now lets see where this goes
I'm right there with you!

CVT all the way Baby!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There is a cordless helmet and intercom system on the market right now. It and the helmet will set you back about $800 plus dollars. And you have to remember to plug it in and charge the battery.

I think fear of the bike brings on the gearing comments, the 1800 is instantly responsive and the fuel injection makes it so. I find the gearing just right. The bike has the torque to accelerate in any gear, one up, two up, the bike does not care. It will simply go.

As for an automatic transmission on a motorcycle, hey they can keep it. Part of the fun of riding is a standard gear system and part of the safety of riding is to be able to use the engine compression for braking at times.

But I suspect an 59 year old guy who is about to buy his first bike might go for that auto transmission, but they have tried that a couple times with smaller bikes and it never caught on.

On wet roads, motor compression is a good thing, as it is on mountain roads.

Kit

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,706 Posts
imported post

kips wrote:
I almost bought the HD Ultra Classic because of the 6 speed tranny. Bought the Wing, but at times I wonder if I made the right decision.

Both have their advantages, but you would think that Honda would get on the ball in some of the areas where they are behind their competition.
You made the right decision to buy the Wing, I know. I ride with 2 Harley's that have the 6th gear and are always downshifting while I keep it in the same high gear on the 1500. Not being cruel to harleys, but I have ridden Harleys in a professional capacity ( retired Police Officer) and there is no comparison to ride and comfort over the long haul.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

six speed tranny and a gear indicator

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

The 6th gear is a must on the next generation 1800+. Fuel mileage is automatically increased by the lower RPM'S or as I read earlier even a change in the drive ratio of the overdrive gear would be sensible. I have heard that someone has developed a 6th gear or different OD gear for the 1500 and I have always said that it could use some improvement.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

My vote is for 6 gears, larger tank electric screen and much more durable paint (I own a 08 in black).

I also agree that 1st gears ratio makes the wing difficult to manoeuvre smoothly.

GO ON DO SOME WING MILES YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

I bought my new 1800 3 weeks ago today and I have probably tried to upshift another gear about 20 times! We have 3600 miles (9 states) on it now and I dont think the bike needs a sixth gear. 3200 rpm at 70 and the bike is loafing. Taller 5th would seem to make sense though. I can accelerate 2 up from 35 or 40 mph without down shifting from 5th. Accelerating from 70 seems as fast in 5th as 4th. A little taller 5th gear for fuel mileage would be cool. (Ill take the gear indicator too!)

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

As for 6th gear and larger tank when we tour in europe with 120 k or 80 mph speed limits the gearing in top is to low and the range limited at that speed.

All said though its still an awsome machine.

GO ON DO SOME WING MILES YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

ROCK APE wrote:
As for 6th gear and larger tank when we tour in europe with 120 k or 80 mph speed limits the gearing in top is to low and the range limited at that speed.
We "toured" Wyoming where the speed limit is a suggestion and Carol Ann, the bike and I were comfortable over 80 mph. We ran 90 plus on the open range, not slowing for the slow curves in the road that I could see thru.. We took the bike past 115 mph at one point and it was then I realized I may be pushing it. We were at 8300 feet and the air was a little thin..The bike certainly feels like it needs a taller final gear but I know that it does not run out of steam til we are far, far north of the speed limit..

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Wow!! Love those suggestions!
I too would like:

A six speed trany
A gear indicator
Wireless headsets
Bluetooth for cell phone
A better XM antenna
An easier center stand to use
An affordable CB system
An electric windshield

BUT....I STILL LOVE ;)MY 2009 GL1800!!!!!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.