Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Reviewing the gear ratios and final drive ratio for better fuel economy seems to be a way to go.

How much work to design and manufacture After Market final drive ring and pinion gears?

What other hardware would have to be included to allow the above to be possible for us to make the switch at home?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Put me down for a 6th gear. I have a 2007 wing with 70,000 miles that I ride on the interstate daily. My other bike is an HD Soft tail with a 6 speed trany. I miss that 6th gear on the wing. When I ride the Harley on the interstate, I do end up down shifting more often when I'm in traffic, but so what? If I cared about shifting I’d drive the car with the automatic transmission that spends most of it’s time in my driveway.

Most of my riding is one up, so I don’t have an opinion on the cordless intercom.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Believe it or not I like the current gearing, because when I twist the wick in any gear the Wing takes off right now!!!

I do not want a higher gear becausewhen I crack the throttle on the interstate and all I get is bogged down and then need to down shift.

Put most baggers against the wing on the highway side by side and crack the throttle. Even with the other bike down shifting the wing will already be gone.

I like to know that I can get out of harms way quickly.

·
Steveorino
291 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
cgroh360 wrote:
1I think everyone is missing the real outcome it won't be a six speed that will turn heads but and "Automatic"
now lets see where this goes
I'm right there with you!

CVT all the way Baby!
Yes, once you go CVT, you never wanna go back....

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

The cordless intercom system is not a bad idea, but there are only a couple ways to do it, and do it right. Bluetooth makes sense since it is a universally available technology for everything from phone calls to printing to industrial control, but what it lacks is a base frequency spectrum that is more immune to interference. Even the best BT devices I've had have occasional dropouts of a half second or so, etc.

We don't have to give up sound quality, but manufacturers of BT devices got started with telephone headsets, and have never really gotten the idea that other uses of BT require more amplifier power and high quality sound. The A2DP stereo profile in BT can do very high quality sound, but the batteries are so small, you can only drive super low power speakers.

WHen I started working on our BT products, one of which is a wire-replacement kit for Wings and Ventures, etc., we just spec'd out bigger batteries, and have continued to use the same speakers we've been using for 10 years with the Wing, and so far, it's been proven to be a solid performer. Downright surprising, actually.

So there's hope, Honda rumors are that the 2011 Wing has Bluetooth for a phone, but Im' not sure you'll be able to answer unless the speedo things you're sitting still...we'll have to see!

What I'd like to see on the new bikes, are audio things like FADER, BALANCE, microphone PTT for intercom, a MONO button so our one-eared friends can hear both channels in the good ear, and of course, a bluetooth hub of some sort to bring in more audio devices. Right now, folks like me and others have to fill in the blanks, and we'd much rather be focusing on our core products than fixing things Honda left out :) And one final thing: advanced voice processing to get the wind noise out of our conversations. Even our prototype BT headsets can do that, so it's not beyond Honda to build it into the bikes.

Ed

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

Goldwing48 wrote:
The 1800 has always turned too many rpm at highway speeds. I'm always subconsciously wanting to shift one more time. The engine seems to have more than enough torque to allow another 500 rpm drop with one more gear. It would probably increase fuel mileage as well. Anybody else feel that way?

It also seems time to develop an intercom system that requires no cords.

Goldwing48 "A Goldwing in the Kentucky Bluegrass"

Henderson Kentucky
I can't believe the 1800 doesn't come with a 6speed tranny. Heck even Harley has that! That bike absolutely should have a 6speed. All the crap they stuff on those bikes and to ignore such a solid improvement doesn't make sense at all.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Hi JimBo,
I was on the same band wagon you are now, so after looking at this issue from a lot of sides, came up with the following.

Looking at an earlier torque / HP curve, it was found the high point of torque is close to 3500-4500. If I remember correctly, the HP is something 4500-5000 or something. High way speed such as 70-80mph (actual GPS) is in the neighborhood of 3000-3500 rpm. So I felt that MOTHER is comfortable with these values in providing the most fuel economy at any given speed in 5th gear factoring the torque issue.

Wind resistance, I think is the main issue in upper speeds affecting fuel usage. (my issue, being a long tripper)

That's my 02s worth, now time for a real automotive engineer's take on this.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

I think Honda has probably been engineering a 6 speed transmission for years and haven't perfected it yet. Baker is the benchmark for the 6speed and for obvious reasons, Honda isn't going to have access to that hardware. Whatever 6speed Honda eventually puts on their Goldwing is naturally going to be compared to the Baker. They probably just want it to stand up to that scrutiny.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

StereoSteveo wrote:
norton wrote:
cgroh360 wrote:
1I think everyone is missing the real outcome it won't be a six speed that will turn heads but and "Automatic"
now lets see where this goes
I'm right there with you!

CVT all the way Baby!
Yes, once you go CVT, you never wanna go back....
Seriously? You would want an automatic transmission on a motorcycle? Thats not riding. Its about man interacting with machine. Just get a Miata and get it over with.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

JIMBO83 wrote:
I think Honda has probably been engineering a 6 speed transmission for years and haven't perfected it yet. Baker is the benchmark for the 6speed and for obvious reasons, Honda isn't going to have access to that hardware. Whatever 6speed Honda eventually puts on their Goldwing is naturally going to be compared to the Baker. They probably just want it to stand up to that scrutiny.
Dummy here, what is the Baker and who uses it?
Thanks,

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
StartedLate wrote:
Another vote for a 6th gear and cordless intercom. I also think that 1st gear is geared way too low. It's just so goosey in 1st gear, that when I'm stopped at an intersection where I need to turn, I'll start out in 2nd to avoid the jerky start and swinging too wide on my turn. (Could be me though -- I've only been riding the Wing about three months).

mike
A taller ratio in the final drive would fix that without having to add another gear set.
I think that sort of goes without saying but you still wouldn't have the choice of having 6 different ratios.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

Longboater wrote:
JIMBO83 wrote:
Thanks,
http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

JIMBO83 wrote:
Longboater wrote:
JIMBO83 wrote:
Thanks,
http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/

Thanks for the reply. I did check out the site and the dollies on the calendar too. If I had a Harley this outfit would be interesting with all that Baker offers.
Thanks again,

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

If enough people were interested and had the money, I'm sure Baker would and could make a gearbox for an 1800 GW. Somebody should contact them and ask. The more the merrier and cheaper too!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I am fairly new here but I have just sold my Bmw k1600 with the bluetooth audio system and bought a wing. I can only describe the system as being very tinny and sounds a bit like an old transistor radio.The helmets alone cost over £700 and to have the full functions of the audio system you have to buy bmw or the audio and intercom wont connect to the pillion.

The intercom side of it works very well and having no wires is also great.I have just bought the helmet headsets for my wing and the difference in music quality from the wired system is obvious.

The intercom is also much clearer and you can hear the sat navvery clearly.I have had bmw's for 10 years now but would never go back after having my wing.I just wish I had comeover sooner.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Hey if you really need to fix the wing put a v twin in it and a side openning trunk oh and a 6 speed tranny.
Hey wait someone has already done that for you!!!!
Wilf

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

hell yes please for the six speed also they could do bluetooth, got bluetooth helmets and a portable bluetooth adapter with a 5pin din to 3.5mm female jack works ok but would be better fixed

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

My bride and I have the Senna helmet Bluetooth communication system. They work great and have about 1,000 ft. range. Great sound and are able to be interfaced with Bluetooth MP3 players, cell phones, GPS, radar detectors and yes ham radios. Great when touring with others with Bluetooth headsets.

HOWEVER, there is one drawback. I took my 15 year old granddaughter for a ride to a area town. Upon leaving that town my 67 year old bladder needed attention. So we stopped at a convience store. I went inside to the facility and in the process of doing my job a voice came in my helmet. "I can hear you". So note to self, turn off the microphone when in the can.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

My VTX desperately needs 6th gear...plenty of power to go

Honda has had 6 speed trannys for years, but do not put them in their high end bikes...maybe one day they'll wake up...one day...

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.