Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Years back when I was working on my 1100 I thought I had a carb problem but it ended up being plug wires. Well I have flushed my throttle bodies and cleaned the jets and needles. The only thing I haven't done is replace the air cutoff valves. The bike runs and accelerates smoothly most of the time but occasionally it acts like it's running on 3 cylinders. The plugs all look fine so before I take the carbs out again I decided to replace the plug wires. I have found made in the US solid core 7mm and 8mm. Which ones would best fit the OEM coils and boots?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,998 Posts
The OEM wires are stranded wire. Have you tried just trimming the ends a half inch, or so?

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
7mm is the proper size.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The OEM wires are stranded wire. Have you tried just trimming the ends a half inch, or so?
I plan on doing that before I buy the new wires but once I tear it down I'll leave it apart till it's fixed one way or the other. on that other wing years ago I replaced the wires with non solid core wires and that is where my problem started, when I get rid of them and got Accel Tiger tails solid core all was good. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you still have oem caps there are resistors built into the caps. Solid core wires work fine, that's what I did to my 80 1100 years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Also remember the 40 year old dried up wire might leak spark and let rain in. Just replace them for the cost.
Makes me think of my step-brother. Wanted to use his Dad's old car when he was on vacation but it would not start in spite of hotwiring it. Opened the hood and found Dad took the coil wire off. Not to be outsmarted the Kid broke off part of the antenna and bent it in a "U" shape and routed it from the coil to the distributor. He got caught but he did have the car a few nights. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
It is way more likely the coils are the problem rather than the wires & also the resistors in the plug caps are prone to fail but new wires won't hurt it at all.

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
It's been my experience that solid core wires can break.
It is not really solid core, they are stranded wire, just non resistor.
I did once use 7mm audio amplifier power wire, looks nice but I don't know how long it will last.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,998 Posts
The ones I'm thinking about look like a single strand of carbon, maybe 1/16 of an inch diameter, wrapped in rubber. Isn't that "solid core" wire?

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
The ones I'm thinking about look like a single strand of carbon, maybe 1/16 of an inch diameter, wrapped in rubber. Isn't that "solid core" wire?
Nope, that's resistor wire.

Reactions: hitecluddite

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried the resistor wire years ago on a 1100, it was the reason I ended up pulling my carbs out three times trying to get it to run smooth! lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts