Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored a nice lil desk type thing for $30 bucks. Outer layer is crap, but all the wood and veneers are in wonderful shape. The plan is to sand, restain, oil, etc. and use it in the house. Walnut solids and veneers. Gorgeous woods...

The locks show Chicago Lock, and the codes research out to the early sixties. Keys are available in repro.

Now, for the sleuthing. The info in the pic is on the back, no brand manufacturer, etc information. Possibly a custom piece, as one aspect of it is odd for its age. Construction techniques are not modern. No nails, etc. All Joinery, the veneers are over a birch glueup, etc.

does any of this info in the pic ring a bell? the information is just a matter of curiosity, nothing riding on it. Just wanna know. I have google the information and got bubkis.

Attachments

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The date is interesting...
Is that August 48th. of the year 0015?
More likely August 15th., 1948?
Or was it the 48th. piece produced last August? (2015)

Probably aliens.
yeah, its hard to make sense of. I first thought that was the date, too. But the lock mech doesnt look like its been replaced. It appears to have been manufactured after 48 by a dozen years or so.

·
Administrator
22,285 Posts
Well, for sure, the date is written with a different hand than the rest and appears to be done with a felt pen rather than a crayon. So, it may well be markings by a store/flea-market etc., when they got it in stock last summer. The "48" may be the store number if it's a chain.

Or...it may be aliens.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Do you have a pic of the actual desk you could post

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More pics...

One of the top when I started. I have it back together for the gloss coat.

The "keyboard" shelf suggests its new as in used for pc keyboards, but everything else, including the construction technique suggests older.

Curious piece. Just love the look though. $38 bucks, $8 for the Watco, and thats it. In my mind its worth $200 now, but its not for sale.

I am going to polish up the locks and knobs, still.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Nice looking wood!!

It does look like a late 60's early 70'd vintage, but if that's a keybord shelf, that would put it late 70's to 80's, or newer. The doors on each side would lend it more to being a Credenza. I did a quick search for computer credenza and found "similar" items, but nothing like yours.... Interesting piece, well worth the $38 price tag.

·
Administrator
58,961 Posts
Interesting piece, and I like what you did on it.

But the keyboard below the desktop? Never, that is a damn good way to get tendinitis in your wrists.... the keyboard must be at a level where you wrists "curl over" the keyboard, and rest on a piece of dense foam.... if they don't, you risk Tendinitis...

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wont use it for a keyboard, way too low.

today I scored a 100+ yo woodworking workbench, a C. Christiansen with two vises. Wont touch the look of that one, love the historical patina on it...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Now that I would LOVE to have!! Score there!

·
Premium Member
59,651 Posts
I think the hinges are the key to locating the age of your first piece.. Those hinges and what they're made of will help get the date close...

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's possible that the desk is actually from 1948 and the pullout is for a typewriter not a computer keyboard.
Ken, the shelfish thing is fixed. Not a pullout. The hinges are brass. Bert, tell me what you are thinking...

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The workbench that I got appears to be about 1905-08. Sold for about $7, probably a buck more for the extra drawer... including shipping!!!!! ahahaha

Attachments

·
Premium Member
59,651 Posts
Ken, the shelfish thing is fixed. Not a pullout. The hinges are brass. Bert, tell me what you are thinking...

Well bass not bronze should help date it and the type of wood screws well help also.. All those things evolved at different time periods..
Any old retired carpenter or cabinet maker would be able to date it for you by those 2 things.....

Reactions: UbarW
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.